Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Infernal Affairs (Mou gaan dou)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 14 Sep, 2004 23:10

Last night I've finally seen Infernal Affairs

22nd Annual Hong Kong Film Awards
• Winner - Best Picture
• Winner - Best Director (Andrew Lau Wai-Keung, Alan Mak Siu-Fai)
• Winner - Best Actor (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai)
• Winner - Best Supporting Actor (Anthony Wong Chau-Sang)
• Winner - Best Screenplay (Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Felix Chong)
• Winner - Best Editing (Danny Pang, Pang Ching-Hei)
• Winner - Best Original Song (performed by Andy Lau Tak-Wah, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai)
• Nomination - Best Actor (Andy Lau Tak-Wah)
• Nomination - Best Supporting Actor (Eric Tsang Chi-Wai)
• Nomination - Best Supporting Actor (Chapman To Man-Chat)
• Nomination - Best Cinematography (Andrew Lau Wai-Keung, Lai Yiu-Fai)
• Nomination - Best Costume Design (Lee Pik-Kwan)
• Nomination - Best Action Design (Dion Lam Dik-On)
• Nomination - Best Original Score (Chan Kwong-Wing)
• Nomination - Best Sound Effects (Tsang King-Cheung)
• Nomination - Best Visual Effects

40th Annual Golden Horse Awards
• Winner - Best Picture
• Winner - Best Sound Effects (Tsang King-Cheung)
• Winner - Audience Award
• Nomination - Best Actor (Andy Lau Tak-Wah)
• Nomination - Best Original Screenplay (Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Felix Chong)
• Nomination - Best Editing (Danny Pang, Pang Ching-Hei)
• Nomination - Best Cinematography (Andrew Lau Wai-Keung, Lai Yiu-Fai)
• Nomination - Best Art Direction (Choo Sung Pong, Wong Ching-Ching)
• Nomination - Best Action Design (Dion Lam Dik-On)

9th Annual Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards
• Recommended Film
• Best Actor (Anthony Wong Chau-Sang)
8th Annual Golden Bauhinia Awards
• Winner - Best Picture
• Winner - Best Screenplay (Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Felix Chong)

Here is a synthesis which will have given you an idea of the success encountered by Infernal Affairs when it has been released in Asia.  8)

I've seen Infernal Affairs described in a critic as the Hong Kong equivalent to Michael Man's Heat and I think it's a pretty good comparison.

The stories are not similar but the environment is very close and the characters are as charismatic in both movies. That implies of course that the performance of the actors is excellent and it is.

The directing really deserved the award it has won as the image is really astonishing. This movie really uses all the basis of HK movies like John Woo's ones with excellent action scenes and precise cut but also it comes with a new style which is indeed very similar to  Heat in the choice of the dominant colours, the close shots of the characters or the great scenes with many action to follow and, lots of realism.

The story is around two men: Yan (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai) and Ming (Andy Lau Tak-Wah). While Yan is a mole infiltrating triads on the other side inspector Ming is secretely a triad's mole.

For 10 years Ming informs triads' kingpin Sam (Eric Tsang Chi-Wai) about the activity of the police and manages to get promotion thanks to his friends who help him to solve some cases in return, and also to insure him a more interresting job where he'll have more usefull informations.

Ming ends to be nominated in the Organized Crime and Triad Bureau lead by Inspector Wong (Anthony Wong Chau-Sang), who's Yan's only link to the police force.  

For the same 10 years Yan has worked to introduce Sam's gang and finally succeeded after 3 years of devoted services and is now a precious card in Inspector Wong's game against his adversary.

While the "game" goes on it becomes obvious for both Sam and Wong that a mole is informing the other part and the moles suddenly find themselves to play their own very dangerous game in which each one tries to discover who is the other one taking care about not betraying their own secret identity taking too many risks.

Like, again, Heat, there is nothing really new about the story, it's just the way the story is shown to your astonished eyes which changes everything  8)

I had already seen Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Anthony Wong Chau-Sang, face to face in my favourite John Woo's movie: Hard Boiled. Once again their performance is excellent and their other members of the casting are as good.

Maybe some more work could have been done around the female characters who could have brung more emotion and tension in the movie if their role had been developped as the lifebuoys of our heros who are both on the edge of schizophrenia, lost about the life they wantn lost between good and evil...

I already have the two following parts of the trilogy on dvd but hadn't seen the first part yet and was awaiting to see it on cinema's screen when I had heard it would be released at last in France. I'm already a HUGE fan of the second one which is a prequel but had some difficulties to understand the 3rd one which is a sequel. Now it will be a lot more easier :D

This movie deserves a 6/6 and is a must see.

If you are a fan of this genre, do your best to get the full trilogy, you won't be disapointed.

I've almost forgotten to say that Martin Scorsese is actually working on a US remake of Infernal Affairs which is named for now The Departed with Matt Bourne Damon and Leonardo Romeo DiCaprio

Chevvie

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 02 Nov, 2004 00:50

If you haven't been convinced yet (how come I'm the only vote here ?), check the internation trailer in english, =>HERE<= ;)

Clint008
peon
peon

Postby Clint008 » Thu 07 Aug, 2008 14:08

The first time I came on this forum (yesterday), it was to take one of this picture. Infernal Affairs is my favorite film. It's a perfect film, with very good actors (Andy Lau, Tony Leug Chiu Wa...) and a very good OST. The final scene is so good, a cinema's lesson!
And I can't understand Scorsese who try too make a remake... The Departed is so bad when you know Infernal Affairs...

I would like to put 7/6, but it's 6/6.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 09 Aug, 2008 01:41

Ah I'm so glad finally someone replied in this topic as I love so much this film I was quite depressed to see no reaction following besides a very few votes. Thank you Clint ! ;)

Have you see the second movie ? Cause actually my favourite shall be the second one, but you can totally avoid to see the third. Actually I think that ti is even better to not see the third so this series stay amazing.

Clint008
peon
peon

Postby Clint008 » Sat 09 Aug, 2008 08:04

I haven't seen the second but if you says that it's good, I will try to found the DVD.

Return to “Asia”