Total votes: 7
Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Old Boy

Postby Nau of Sands » Tue 05 Oct, 2004 22:57

I ve seen Old Boy this week

This is the 3rd movie of the Korean director Chan-wook Park

But it is as well the second movie from a group of three movies about revenge, the first one was " Sympathy for Mr Vengeance ", a new one is coming :) about women's vengenges, as I ve understood (gonna be violent :P )

This movies was much expected as it has thrilled Quentin Tarantino that wanted to give it the Palme d'Or first price of the last Cannes Festival, when Quentin was President. But he failed to convince the other members of the Jury

The story is based on a japanese manga by Tsuchiya Garon and Minegishi Nobuaki (lol if anyone can find a better link please be welcome :lol: )

We discover the main character Oh Daesso one night he got drunk and has been jailed in the police office.

We understand that he is an average man of the middle class, with an average job, living a life without problem, married, with a kid.

A cousin comes to fetch him at the police, gives excuses for the trouble, and tries to phone the family to say that our poor Oh Daesso is OK,

but in the meanwhile, Oh Daesso disappears, he has been captured and when he wakes up he is alone in a room, up in a tower.

He is held during 15 years in this room by his unknown captors,
learning through TV, his only contact with the outside world, that he is suspected for the murder of his wife.

One day he is released with a wallet filled with money and a mobile phone.

Lost in the real world, he understands that he has now to find who and why he has been detained for so long.

His quest will be filled with strange encounters, violence and every new findings he makes lead to new questions.

Actually I m a bit mixed about this film. Some pictures are amazing, there is some incredible ideas in the script.

and what keeps your mind boiling is the impression this is a movie " without any limit ", everything is possible, can and will happen - this is probably what Quentin Tarentino appreciated in it. There is no censorship or any limitation of any kind from the script.

Sometimes you just stare at the screen and say " Ok i didn't expect that, you got me..."

But as the plot goes on, I had the feeling that the film totally lacked subtelty and found it incredibly heavy.

The plot explores a lot of commonplaces, with a very pompeous style. Themes of vengeance, interaction between people, memory are among the numerous themes.
But won t spoil :bounce:

Finally I put a 4/6
but what do you think is the opinion of the octopus in the sushi restaurant ? :D

Mindtrust
elite
elite

Postby Mindtrust » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 21:29

i saw this one about one month ago, and it's very well done!
But it's not really my type of movie, but still for the very good production i give it 4 out of 6 8)

Magical bum
hero
hero

Re: Old Boy

Postby Magical bum » Sun 23 May, 2010 02:41

Did you know the actor apparently ate a real live octopus for the film? Absolutely amazing.

It was a masterpiece from start, too that IMMENSE finish. Left me confused but happily so. The plot is so thick and wonderful it made me happy to sit in my seat an just be mesmerised. Also the soundtrack is amazing.

sabrasmith11
roaming
roaming

Re: Old Boy

Postby sabrasmith11 » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 06:59

Very intersecting movie & it got very good concept behind it. Editing section was also too good.I will give it 5 out of 6.

Return to “Asia”