Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

The Taste Of Tea (Cha No Aji)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 24 Apr, 2005 16:24

Two days ago I've seen The Taste Of Tea with Liewen.

Image Image

The critics I've read before where so "weird" I didn't know what exactly what to expect except a weird movie. I have not been disapointed at all :D

Director Ishii Katsuhito sign here his third movie and is quite well known in Japan as a music videos and commercials director. He has also worked with Quentin Tarantino on Kill Bill#1 for the animated sequence.

Ishii Katsuhito  is a fan of 3D & 2D animations and The Taste Of Tea hosts many sequences of 3D and even a 2 minutes sequence in the most pure japanimation style directed by Takeshi Koike, the director of segment "World Record" in The Animatrix.

The japanimation fans will even recognize Hideaki Neon Genesis Evangelion Anno playing in this movie an animation movies director :mrgreen:

But now let's get back to the story...

The Taste Of Tea shows us the everyday goings-on of the Haruno family, a quintet (mom, dad, teenage son, little daughter and grandpa) living in a small countryside town north of Tokyo.

The grand-father (an artificially aged Tatsuya Gashuin) appears very eccentric but is only the tip of the iceberg of the quirks that run in the family.  :D

The mother, Yoshiko (Satomi Tezuka), is attempting to return to her old job as a cartoon animator by making a hand-drawn short at the dinner table with the assistance of the grand-pa who occasionnaly serves as model for the amazing fighting positions and moves taken by the animated characters.

The father, Nobuo (Tomokazu Miura) is a hypnosis therapist who occasionally practices on his own family helping them to reach their very own private worlds which gives the audience some very psychedelic sequences :mrgreen:

Hajime (Takahiro Sato), the son, appears first very disapointed to see his secret love moving to another city without having never known about how much he cared for her. Nevertheless he soon becomes  a vat of raging hormones after the arrival of a pretty new classmate (Anna Tsuchiya) who joins the Go club :)

Finally, the daughter Sachiko (Maya Banno) is bothered at inopportune moments by her own giant-sized double, who hangs around sitting on buildings, growing out from earth or even passing walls and stares at her.

This quintet is completed during part of the movie with the uncle Ayano (Tadanobu Asano), a sound engineer, resting in this house and walking alone with his spleen before going back to the city and his work.

Walking often out he meets some very weird characters from an exceptionnaly skilled yakusa at base-ball, a martial artist "dancing" all days, his former girlfriend, ...; and of course, not to be forgotten, the yakusa's ghost staring at him with a poo as an helmet :haha:

Many other characters appear like the other uncle, a famous mangaka, as eccentric as his father with whom he decides to try pop-music with an incredible music-video which has almost killed me   :haha:

There is also a very funny sequence around "cos-play" (fans wearing mangas heroes costumes) which is a must see :D

The Taste Of Tea manages to mix many references of japanese popular culture and takes place in the japanese countryside, a place we are not used to see as foreign audience. An audience who is going from surprises to surprises at every single moment in a movie as funny as it is poetic and totally weird, imaginative and without any bareers  :)

I really invite you to no miss it if you have the opportunity to see it and gives it a well deserved 5/6   :bounce:

Chevvie

Liewen
champion
champion
Xbox Live ID: Liewen
Wii code: 7822003881806675
raptr ID: Liewen

Postby Liewen » Mon 25 Apr, 2005 00:12

A true UFO (Unidentified Filmed Object), and oh god how good it makes me feel... I liked it. Really.

I would like to add that one of the best part of the movie is a terrific sunset ... It could be a Danish one  :) ... But the truth is that if I say that, someone's going to kill me  :P

5/6 too  :)

Rottweiler
counselor
counselor

Postby Rottweiler » Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:20

I loved this movie. A great ode to happiness an mild insanity, a feeling much needed in these dreary times.

See it if you have the chance. I can't garantee you'll like it, but if you do it's really worth the try.

xendray
roaming
roaming

Postby xendray » Tue 15 Aug, 2006 22:00

Hey, is there a website for this movie? I've heard a lot about this director but haven't been able to find much.

Thanks!

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 15 Aug, 2006 23:11

That depends which language you can read. I've found many links to french websites as this movie had encountered a little success here :)

If you understand french I will give you some links. In the mean times you can have a look to the review of the movie on lovehkfilm.com by clicking => here <=.

xendray
roaming
roaming

Postby xendray » Wed 16 Aug, 2006 21:49

Thanks, Chevalier. That lead to some good links!

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 17 Aug, 2006 00:24

You're welcome :)

Welcome in The Lost Forum btw :wtlf:

To get back in the subject, below a nice trailer for The Taste of Tea which will give you a good idea of the movie :)

Return to “Asia”