Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 25 Sep, 2005 17:24

I'm in a working mood today as I start now the second topic of the day with none the less than one of the movies the most expected of the year for all gamers all around the World: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

First of all, if by chance you can read French (and understand it ;)), run on the very good topic Storm had started a while ago in Cinemad, =>here<=.

If you don't understand french:
  • send your complaints to Storm :D
  • check the topic anyway as she has choosen a nice set of pictures comparing the designs of Final Fantasy VII game characters and the ones of the same characters in the movie.

As announced, this movie is a premiere, as far as I know, beeing indeed the direct sequel of a videogame and not any videogame.

The Final Fantasy's series is one of the most popular series in the videogames' World. Just look at how many people around here have Final Fantasy's characters as aliases or avatars, not forgetting that Renzokuken, Apoc and co's Final Fantasy Omega website.

Image Image

As I'm talking about, Final Fantasy Omega , let's see their comments about Final Fantasy VII, which well help the ones who don't know the game to link to the story and ... will prevent me to do a synthesis already well done ;)

Final Fantasy Omega wrote:The Shinra Corporation is draining our planet of its life-forces. Cloud Strife a cold-hearted mercenary, accepts a mission from a group of eco-warriors, unaware that it will lead him on a journey that will change not just his life, but the lives of every soul in the universe…. Welcome to Final Fantasy® VII –an epic adventure on 3 CDs where sorcery and science collide, where friendships are lost and won and where one man can make a difference that lasts forever!

Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the Final Fantasy series not to be released on a Nintendo console. Final Fantasy VII started a whole new style of gameplay. This was if not is the greatest Final Fantasy of all time.

Final Fantasy VII opened up a new dimension of graphics and play style. The materia system is my personal favourite of all the magic and summoning systems introduced in a Final Fantasy game. It allowed you to level up your magic in a way, which had never been seen.

Final Fantasy VII throws you into the action right from the start. The story starts off with Cloud completing a few missions for cash and soon blows up into a collossel fight for the greater good of the planet as Cloud and team leave Midgar behind to save the planet from Sephiroth.

Released for the first time on many platforms, Final Fantasy VII has conquished many more players. The game was so well done, so marvellous to watch and the catching that, like all who have tried the game I think, I've spent MANY hours in front of it.

The story of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
takes place 2 years after Cloud & company have defeated Sephiroth and destroyed him.

A non-contagious disease known as Geostigma is spreading across the Planet. Children tend to show signs of Geostigma first, though adults are susceptible to the disease as well. Tifa Lockheart's bar, the Seventh Heaven, serves as an orphanage for children stricken with Geostigma. Symptoms of Geostigma include mental weakness, pain and even death. Cloud suffers from this disease though he hides his affected arm beneath his sleeve.

Cloud Strife also seems to haven't recovered of Aeris' death (as Storm indicates and illustrated in her topic, the scene of the game has been redone for the movie) and tends to isolate himself, loosing contacts with his friend and only maintaining "Strife's Delivery Service", whose headquarters is located in Tifa Lockheart's bar, .

He receives a phone call of Shinra, Inc. president, Rufus. Rufus asks him for protection from a mysterious man named Kadaj. Cloud has already crosses the path of this Kadaj, a man who calls him "brother" and looks for his "mother". The problem for Cloud is that Kadaj and his brothers Loz and Yazoo seem to think Cloud know where their "mother" is.

Little by little all pieces of the jigsaw-puzzle will fit and all the original team of FFVII will join Cloud to fight these new vilains...

It's then a real gamer pleasure to see all these characters back after all the time spent together 5 years ago.

I can't deny then that the mark at the end of this topic won't be as objective as I'd like it to be and can't wait to have opinions from people who hadn't played the game. I do think that all who have played the game are already conquished looking at the pictures.

The pictures are one thing, the animation is another and for once again Square Enix teams are more than ready to show you what they've got :eek:

The movie doesn't have much "slow down", actually you've got some action scenes which seem never end. But where it usually becomes boring, especially in asian cinema where imho of western man, the final combat takes too often a far too important time, here you've got so actions going on everywhere that you cannot break to look at your watch :D

The last third of the movie just never stop from rebounding to rebounding in a 300 mph shooting which manages the exploit to stay readable.

In Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children you see swords and guns fights between characters on motorcycles :eek: , you see heroes jumping from building to building while fighting a huge monster in the city with a just astonishing final to that fight :eek: , so many incredibles action seens I've never seen before in a movie ! :eek:

To do a synthesis, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children makes the Matrix trilogy looking like retirement house's pensionnaries' amateur action movies :D

However good it was, Square Enix had severly disapointed Final Fantasy's videogames fans in 2001 with its previous and first movie: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (which had even been titled Final Fantasy: The Movie in some countries :eek: ). If the SFX were as impressive as expected, sadely the storyline had quite nothing to do with all the fantastic elements which many gamers take for granted after many episodes of the game. Even if the episode are independant and not sharing the same storyline (except for FFX and FFX-2), there is a real coherence between all these episode and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within simply used none of this basis built in the time.

Now, Square Enix has clearly choosen to please its first costumers which are the gamers who follow Final Fantasy rpg games, some of them for more than a decade now.

Probably thinking that it won't be a sufficient population to make this movie a success in movie theaters, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is a direct-to-video which is too bad as indeed it will indeed  maintain this movie in a small circle.

But, as said earlier I can't be objective about this movie being a fan of Final Fantasy's saga and of Final Fantasy VII particulary :)

You'll even find some winks only gamers will notice like Loz cellular's ringing which still makes me laugh thinking about it  :lol:  Now I understand why you were laughing at my cellular's ringing Swyms (I have the same) ;)

For these reasons, I can't wait to read comments about people who would have discovered this movie without knowing much or anything about the original game.

Doing my best to stay objective, I'll mark Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children with a very well deserved 4/6 while the fan inside me screams for a 6/6 :D

Chevvie 8)

PS: Watch the credits till the end !! The end of the credits shows a Cloud on his motorbike in a real environment. Just to show you they can even do better than what you've just seen :D

Renzokuken
crusader
crusader

Postby Renzokuken » Sun 25 Sep, 2005 21:37

Still to go watch this but I'm sure I will soon.

As for Omega... slow going I'm trying to write a walkthrough for FFVII so goings are slow  :P

Archos
baron
baron

Postby Archos » Sun 25 Sep, 2005 22:31

Right...i would just liek to say....I LOVE THIS FILM!!!!! i saw it with seph, and i am a huge fan of Final Fantasy (Finished games 7-10 +(X-2)) and this movie was awesome, so visually superb, 10/6 anyday :D

Swyms
tower guard
tower guard

Postby Swyms » Mon 26 Sep, 2005 19:54

Well, i was waiting for this movie since...a long long time!!!!!
And finally, i had the pleasure, yes because it is a real big one, to see that movie!!!

Well, i will begin by the bad things... In fact, i loved the FF7 game, it is the game that i ever played so many hours!! And now, the movie  :bounce: . But, there are some elements that i regret, that is not seen in the movie.

But.... now, i have to say that watching such a movie is very cool, because this one is really attached to the story of the game, the battles are simply great, and the animation is really good.

So, i will put a 5/6 for this excellent movie. If one day, this movie is at the cinema, i think i'll run to see it!!!!!!
Image Image

Seph7
baronet
baronet

Postby Seph7 » Tue 27 Sep, 2005 00:04

THIS MOVIE ROCKS A MUST SEE FOR FF FANS! only thing i can coment down on is that I found the film all action not much description which anyone who plays FF games will know thats not what FF is about. Dont get me wrong the action rocks jsut wish they made it  abit longer with a bit more solid FF story behing it. Also I must add Ive only seen the film with fan subtitles still waitign to see the english dub.

Other than that the film is pure eye candy although did anyone else notice they shrunk certain possesions that belonged to tifa  :D  maybe they just decided it was 2 lara croft.

Anyway go see this film NOW!!!!!

stop reading go watch

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:04

As a total stranger to the final fantasy phenomenon, I tried to watch the movie with impartial eyes. My conclusion is that the plot is very lame and too simplistic, but because of the many cryptic references to the game, non-ff7 fans may be anyway lost in some dialog scenes. Maybe I was tired when I saw it, but many times I was like "but what the hell are they talking about ???". Luckily I had Storm by my side to explain me the plot, but without her, I would probably have found the story annoying and desappointing.

The movie is worth seeing (for non ff7 fans I mean) thanks to the extraordinary quality of the graphics, and maybe for the fights choreographies, if you're into the unbelievable-bigger-than-life-moves (if not, you may think the fight scenes are a bit "too much").

I give it 4/6 for the beauty of the graphics. For the rest, it's just an average new-age scifi flick.

I liked "Final Fantasy : The spirits within" a lot more. But then again, I'm a total Final Fantasy clueless newbie.
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Thu 27 Oct, 2005 23:36

well my thanks goes to ren here he got me a version of the film years before it will actually come out here :D
great film, everything that a film of this calibur needs - storyline action characters you can relate to. and if you have played ff7 then theres that extra factor :D.

The quote you are about to read contains quite a few spoilers that you may or may not want to know before watching you read at your own risk
Materia stars in the film nice touch but isnt involved so much.
Reno and Rude how great are they.
Return of Rufus who got quite literally owned back up in midgar tower.
Barretts upgraded gun arm .. wow
the bahamut scene sheer class.
Cloud's three brothers worthy adversaries along with obvious the return of the main man himself sephiroth.
Cloud himself shows off his sword skills in great fashion also uses couple of his limit breaks from the game (blade beam climhazzard most obvious, and theres a debate whether his final sword combo is supposed to be omnislash or not)
Tifa her fight scene omg greatness
and of course not forgetting the rest of the gang from red XIII to even little cait sith but without his big stuffed teddy bear.

Also something to look out for when watching again if you look really closer Cloud and Tifa are both wearing red ribbons tied around their arms, now you would think that would be something between the two of them. However, look at Cid he also has a ribbon of his own, and anyone who knows VII will know the ribbon was the best accessory you could gain.

My rating full marks already watched in 3-4 times :bounce:

EDIT: and just to add Spirit Within aside from the visuality it was quite crap

Renzokuken
crusader
crusader

Postby Renzokuken » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:15

DigiNico wrote:I liked "Final Fantasy : The spirits within" a lot more. But then again, I'm a total Final Fantasy clueless newbie.

You did not just say this! *feels sick*

Spirits Within didn not deserve the title "Final Fantasy" .... it was simply no FF! No magic - no crazy person trying to take over the world! OMG! There wasn't even a hero with a FF personality.

AC was designed mainly to continue a few loose ends that were around after VII. All fans should know these - at least the ones who played the game fully. The rest well they don't deserve to understand.

The film was released purely on DVD as it is only FF fans who will understand what is going on, and for that reason it wasn't going to be a Cinema release.

Another major point of the film was to show the graphical power that was capable, they wanted to bring the old characters back in a new garphical age - a more realisticly looking age. This they did amazingly.

The story for anyone who played VII is bruatally good, anyone who hasn't will be sat there confused. It was never designed for outsiders other than to show off the graphical capabilities that exist.

6/6 anyone who votes left can die  :angry:

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:25

I am here again after watching the english version on dvd and on UMD in college on my psp.

In total now i have watched at least 10 times and even now i never get tired of the action, of the story, of the explanation of events, of the links to all the great times spent playing the game.

to all those who have never played the game, and also to those slight few who have played the game but never quite grasped the concept or never caught the hidden features - you may have certain problems coming to terms with why the movie is here.  This movie was used as a means to tie up loose ends of the plot to answer such questions as "who is the guy with the black hair?" "Who/what was spehiroth?".
If you never played the game then you probably had no idea who sephiroth was, and you would be confused by the concept of Kadaj/Sephiroth scene.  If you never played the game to the full potential then you may have trouble understanding who exactly was the guy at the end with aeris at the church.  If you never played the game you would probably not understand the significance of the church anyway.

One basic solution to all these problems :
Play the best game ever made, play it to the max never miss a single feature and then watch the best film ever to be animated on our screens.

O and btw i have to agree with Renz The film "Final Fantasy: The spirit within" was the most useless created given a FF name since i played "Final Fantasy X-2" which was the worst FF game i ever played. (However, in all fairness i do give it credit for some things pm me if you want my honest opinion).
FF:TSW however, is of course a disgrace to the name, and as a BIG Final Fantasy Fan i refuse to accept it as part of the series.

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Sat 13 May, 2006 10:59

I'm with DigiNico on this one. I liked the Spirits Within better. I am a FF newbie (n00b). The movie was entertaining and after having friends explain who everyone was. And how that Dragon appeared, apparently called Bahamut..

After watching it a second time and understanding the plot, I found it quite entertaining. And the song One-Winged Angel kinda sticks to you.

As For The Spirits Within, I'm not saying it was a good FF story. I found it a good story overall, even if it wasn't purely FF.

I give the Advent Children a 4/6.
ImageImage

Return to “Asia”