Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Public Enemy (Gonggongui jeog)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 04 Dec, 2005 18:59

I'm currently mad I've waited so long to finally take time to watch my long time received dvd of Public Enemy (thanks Nau to have stopped by this afternoon ;))

To prevent others to do the same mistake, here I am to present you that great korean "cop/thief" movie from director Woo-Suk Kang.

This movies opposes Detective Cheol-jung Kang (Kyung-gu Sol) to a vicious muderer hidden behind a wealthy  businessman and good father's facade.

The main character of the story is a rotten cop. Detective Cheol-jung Kang seems indeed to be involved so far in criminal bussiness than even his own mother comes to ask him if he has a cop or a criminal.

At the early begining of the movie, learning that the internal affairs officers are inquiring closely on their case, his partner commits suicide, leaving Kang on his own.

With the enquiry in progress, Kang has no choice than to give the change and showing himself as a good cop to his entourage which doesn't appear that easy when you don't have any arrests for years.

His superior is putting pressure on him to have results and Kang seems to find some motivations, especially when under such amazing circumstances you can only see in asian movies :D, he crosses the path of a man wearing a rain-coat who offers him a nice scar under his right eyes with a knife he drops.

This blade appears to be the weapon used for the murder of an old couple on which Kang will have to inquire.

His cop instinct drives him to suspect none the less than the son of the family, Kyu-hwan Cho (Sung-jae Lee) a very weathy businessman both good husband and father who hides a very sadistic and mercyless monster.

The problem is that Kang can't put a finger on the crime's mobil nor on any clue wich would proove what his instinct tell him. While no one believes him, Kang suddenly revealing himself as a real policeman, risks everything to protect the population of Kyu-hwan Cho who he considers to be a "public enemy".

On the other side, Cho is letting his inner violence explodes trying to make his original murder appears as one among others of a serial killer which only reinforces Kang's determination to get him.

Public Enemy takes time to introduce its characters and the first 30 minutes are quite slow and hard to follow as you wonder where axactly you are driven.

All change with Cho's parents muder and the very first confrontation between Kang and Cho.

As you have assisted to the murder you know that Chang is in the truth which will make you share his impatience and anger toward those who do not believe him.

You must be warned that, like in many korean movies, the action is very realistic but if you have some action scenes in Public Enemy, the core of the movie is in the psychological confrontation between Kang and Cho and their cat & mouse game.

If I said that the 30 first minutes were slow, that let 108 minutes during which you'll be caught by the story of this finally very well built "polar" (I really have to find a traduction for this word ;)).

All this script works perfectly because of the great performances offered by Sung-jae Lee and Kyung-gu Sol who are really good at playing "on the two sides", confusing the audience...

I think Public Enemy clearly deserves a 5/6 and I invite you to not loose time as I've done if you have the opportunity to see it :gj:

Chevvie

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 11:22

I ll have to watc the last 20 minutes one day  :roll:

but concerning the beginning, it deserves a 5/6 really, a good Hong Kong Police movie, with good character desciption, interresting plot, amazing filming  :bounce:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 11:24

Actually it's not from Hong-Kong but from Korea ;)

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 11:34

:blush:

hem yes, too late for an edit...

but they do look really Hong Kong ish, don t they... omg and Korea is not that far and... hem

makes me think I ll review this Memory of Murder, which is not with the same actor btw

Return to “Asia”