Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Audition (Ôdishon)

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 13:19

IMDb wrote: Ôdishon (1999)
Director: Takashi Miike
Genre: Drama / Horror / Romance / Thriller
Runtime: 115 min / USA:113 min (R-rated version)
Language: Japanese
Color: Color
SoundMix: DTS-Stereo
Certification: Sweden:15 / Argentina:18 / Australia:MA (cable rating) / Australia:R (original rating) / Canada:R / Denmark:15 / Finland:K-18 / France:-16 / Germany:18 / Hong Kong:III / Ireland:18 / Italy:VM14 / Japan:R-18 / Netherlands:16 / New Zealand:R18 / Norway:18 / Spain:18 / Switzerland:16 (canton of Zurich) / Switzerland:18 (canton of Geneva) / Switzerland:18 (canton of Vaud) / UK:18 / USA:R (cut) / USA:Unrated

I saw a cheap DVD edition of this one I did t know, thinking I could enjoy it or at last see one of these movies of Takashi Miike , a director I had a bad "pre-opinion", as I read he was very violent for gratuitous reasons and made more than 7 movies a year (that s true : he did this in 2001 !!)

So I bought it and said to me, after all why not, and watched it. Actually I was amazed, it is a very good movie, very interresting, dealing with "more than it seems touchy subjects", and if it was not among the best movies I ve seen, it is clear that Miike has unlimited filming skills. After all, maybe it s in practicing filmmaking that you learn and improve your technique, like in other fields ? (Ask George Lucas about this ^^)

Miike can lead us (at least me) where he wants, at the moments he wants, the way he wants. He always masters his subject, an the incredible excesses in his film are brought with some reason.

It is hard to review this movie without spoiling it, let s say that there is two parts, the first part which is a romance - with some "sick" elements, the more diturbing one being the apparent perfection of all what is going on, the second part is a gore movie. There is not much transition between the two.

Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi) is a TV producer who laost his beloved wife year ago, and raised alone his only son (Tetsu Sawaki). He was too depressed by the death of his wife to look for an opportunity to have a new wedding. He leads a very successful professional carreer, and has good relationships with his son.

There is something that seems to be empty in his life though, and his son jokes at him saying he is getting like a boring elder, that he should have fun and find a new relationship.

A friend of him, working in the same TV company, tells him he is organizing a casting for a TV serie, and that instead of counting on randomness to find a new wife, he should come with him in the jury to hear the candidates for the leading role, and meet one if he feels like.

As Aoyama is a bit reluctant, as he finds it deloyal and somehow schoking, he let himself be convinced and enters the game. The Audition begins, with two winners, the official one for the leading role, and the secret one, with very different standards. The possible wife must be nice, young, shy, obedient, intelligent, modest. Aoyama and his friend present themselves as experienced japanese men, who have dealt a lot with life, and have a definite idea of what the perfect wife is.

Aoyama studies the candidature files at home, hiding the process to his son as he feels someow ridiculous, and then ironically randomness gets back. The application of one of the candidates falls under his eyes, a young woman who would have been a dancr but had an accident and had to give up. The text about her having to change her objective in life is magnifically written and fascinates Aoyama, who now wants to meet this girl, Asami (Eihi Shiina).

The audition confirms his impression, as Asami meets all the standards required, and the suddnly enthousiastic Aoyama wants to meet her, even surprising his producer friend who advises him to be a little more cautious, giving the impression that he is more a romantic teeager than the experienced man he was supposed to be.

Aoyama and Asami live a love story, they are deeply attached the one to the other, with some mystery from Asami, though. For what happens next and who they encounter, I let you see.

I liked it, for his unique mix of romance and gore, with many mysteries explained or not, and I put a 5/6.

If you watch it be warned that the end is really gore.

xdeathknightx
earl
earl

Postby xdeathknightx » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 16:00

Have it in my home and is on my to see list. I can advise you to go watch Ichi the killer by miike nau  :D

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Fri 09 Dec, 2005 20:03

I'm a big fan of gore!!! 5/6
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Grrrroooooovvvy
legend
legend

Postby Grrrroooooovvvy » Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:08

This movie stuck in my mind longer than the ring!!!

kirikirikirikiri....*shudder*

bradcapo2
roaming
roaming

Re: Audition (Ôdishon)

Postby bradcapo2 » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:41

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.

Magical bum
hero
hero

Re: Audition (Ôdishon)

Postby Magical bum » Sun 23 May, 2010 02:38

It's the reason i'm not planning on going to Japan to look for a wife for the foreseeable future. Absolutely brilliant. :D

Return to “Asia”