IMDb wrote: Choyonghan kajok (1998)
Director: Ji-woon Kim
Genre: Comedy / Crime / Horror
Runtime: Germany:98 min / Japan:101 min
Language: Korean
Color: Color
SoundMix: oyonghan kajok (1998) Directed by
Certification: Hong Kong:IIB / UK:15

The Quiet Family is a gentle, unassuming Korean film about an ordinary family.  They buy a guest house in a forest at a bargain price, with high hopes for the future.  Unfortunately, most of the people that pass through their section of the forest are hikers heading to the mountain, so business is sparse, at best.

The news that a road is to be built brings new hope, because it will raise the visibility of Misty Lodge. Sadly, construction is delayed, and the family get more and more desperate for custom.

Finally, their first guest arrives!

Their joy is short-lived, though - as is the guest, because he commits suicide overnight... To avoid bad publicity, they decide to bury him in the forest.  when the menfolk return from their grizzly task, they discover that they have more guests, a young couple.  By breakfast time, they have another problem.

When they hear that the road construction is due to start and the entire area is to be dug up, life gets even more complicated - and the body count keeps growing!

I have to say I enjoyed this comedy of errors immensely. Deliciously dark humour is mixed in even parts with suspense, and laced with a touch of slapstick - imagine The Addams Family directed by Alfred Hitchcock and you'll be getting close to the feel of The Quiet Family.  I spent the best part of two hours chuckling quietly to myself, and there were several moments of explosive out-loud uncontrolled laughter, too.  It's been a while since a film gave my laugh-muscles such a workout!

The production values are very high - quality cinematography, fine understated acting and a wonderfully interwoven set of subplots.  There are several scenes around the dining table, serving to provide a thread of stability for this group of ordinary people that find themselves in unusual circumstances, although some of the conversations are a tad surreal  - especially the one about how proficient they are getting at digging and burying.

All in all, I'd have to give this 5/6 and would have to recommend it to those of you that like your humour to walk the dark side.  Compared to this, Fargo was a walk in the snow.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 19 Mar, 2006 13:10

Thanks for your review Wulf !

I had not heard of that movie before and you can guess I'm mostly interrested by seeing it now.

I'll try to get my hand on it soon :)

PS: I have added to your review the IMDb short fic thanks to RawHide's tool;)

Return to “Asia”