Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Cutie Honey (Kyûtî Hanî)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 11 Sep, 2006 23:55

Tonight I come with another UFO directly from Japan: Hideaki Anno's Cutie Honey.

IMDb wrote: Kyûtî Hanî (2004)
Director: Hideaki Anno
Genre: Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
Runtime: Japan:94 min
Language: Japanese
Color: Color

Some might have tilted on the name "Hideaki Anno". He has indeed earned a certain aura among the japanime fans as one of Neon Genesis Evangelion's directors, among others great titles.

On the other side, Kyûtî Hanî is a popular comics in Japan created the very very famous Go Nagai which has become a very popular anime. I know that the anime has been released on french tv but I've personnaly never seen it nor I've read the comics so I'd let other experts around to give more details ;)

That is then with a very "virgin" mind that I decided to get myself Cutie Honey's dvd after PLISSKEN had managed to get me interrested during one of our very best sessions in his inter-forums game (check => here <= for memories... and "yay" once again to Nau who had earned us our bet's points :gj: ). The pic and the few I had read about the movie looked so weird that I just HAD to see that movie !! :D

Let's say it right now, Cutie Honey is very far to be a master-piece of cinema but it hosts a crazy energy which really gets it out of the pack.

Actually Cutie Honey is of that kind of movie which you know after its first five minutes if you gonna love it or hate it. Cause indeed I'm expecting some very very bad marks here like as I really understand that people can hate that movie.

Personnaly, I love it !! :D

The movie starts during the bath of our heroine which is far to be shy for the greatest pleasure of the male audience ;)

And that's just an entertainer as many times and for totally no reason at all, Eriko Sato will adopt very sexy pauses as she fight the criminal organization named "Panther Claw" which has kidnapped her uncle and killed her father, both scientists.

What she doesn't realized is that running after Panther Claw is actually what Panther Claw awaits as its leader, the androgyn tree-demon  Sister Jill (Eisuke Sakai)expects to reach imortality through the I-System Cutie Honey is carrying.

Indeed Cutie Honey is an android which has been built by Honey Kisaragi's father from her dead daughter's corpse (with the famous I-System).

And there we reach an unexpected dimension of the movie which, finally, keeping his crazy rythm and flashy picture, explores more of Honey Kisaragi and her difficulties to integrate herself in society, make friends and keep her work while she is also Cutie Honey, the famous "warrior of love", the cyborg caught between its protective program and its wish for revenge upon its father's murderers.

During the movie she will cross the pathes of Police officer Natsuko Aki (Mikako Ichikawa) who is as strict, undemonstrative and "dark" as Honey is crazy, exuberant and flashy.

Actually Eriko Sato plays like a 5 years old girl under cafein (to not say worse) !  :D

Jun Murakami plays a strange reporter whose character bring the medium necessary to make the two opposite girls join him in a real team around strong bounds between its members.

Bounds sealed in particular during a drinking session ending with a hilarious karaoke :D

On the other side, as you can see it through the different pictures, the baddies are very extravagant.

The different "claws" are very powerfull modified humans with amazing powers which allows them to shot missiles from their arms or their mouth, change in black typhoons,... and many other amazing things...

BUT they are also totally crazy and you'll not be surprised to see a powerfull claw making his entrance with a funny singing session orchestrated live by his men dancing around.

Totally MAD I've told you !! :D

I think this short introduction and its illustrating pics will already have made some of you running far away from Cutie Honey.

For those of you who are still reading these lines, well I think you really should give Cutie Honey a chance.

One of the dumbest movie you'll have ever seen for sure but ... quite a guilt pleasure as, be honnest, you want to see it now !! ;)

Staying as much as I can objective I really can't give Cutie Honey a better mark than 4/6 but it's really a "coup de coeur" and I really hope I'll have convinced some of you to join the loony ride ;)

Chevvie

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Tue 12 Sep, 2006 00:12

I haven't seen it, but I feel like I should give it a high vote based solely on how many points we won on this movie in Plissken's game!!!!!
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 12 Sep, 2006 19:11

Rawhide wrote:I haven't seen it, but I feel like I should give it a high vote based solely on how many points we won on this movie in Plissken's game!!!!!

You should see it then ;)

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Tue 12 Sep, 2006 19:29

Foreign movies are difficult to get here. You have to go to a specialty video store, and there aren't any nearby.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 12 Sep, 2006 20:20

That's why we have the Internet ;)

If you look for asian movies you can have a look to:

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Tue 12 Sep, 2006 20:55

Well, see, that's the problem. I don't like to buy movies without knowing if I like it first ......speaking of which, want to buy a very slightly used DVD of The Jacket? ;)
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Return to “Asia”