prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Machete (2010)

Postby Rawhide » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 16:34

Machete (2010)
Image Image
(Click to enlarge)

Full cast and crew ->

The movie Machete started out as a fake trailer in the double feature Grindhouse (Planet Terror and Death Proof). Grindhouse had several fake trailers and news pieces in it to give it the old-timey feel of the golden age of double feature movies, the 1970s. The fake trailer was so popular, they decided to turn it into a real movie. Another fake trailer from the movie, Thanksgiving, is currently in development. The fake trailer, Planet Terror, and Machete were all written and directed by Robert Rodriguez.

In reality, this movie started out long before Grindhouse. Danny Trejo's character Machete is very reminiscent of his character Navajos, the assassin, in the movie Desperado also written and directed by Robert Rodriguez. Rodriguez started writing Machete after he completed Desperado.

Over the years, Danny Trejo has become a popular staple in movies for men. He has become somewhat of an icon. When I saw Grindhouse, I commented that my favorite part of it was the trailer for Machete. I wasn't surprised that they made the movie, and I was very excited when I heard about it.

(Danny Trejo as Machete)

Machete (Danny Trejo) is a Mexican Federale (national police) who is tried to take down a drug kingpin Torrez (Steven Seagal). He is set up and trapped by Torrez. Torrez kills Machete's family in front of him and leaves Machete for dead. Machete lives (obviously) and crosses the border into Texas where he hides out as a day laborer. He is unable to find work but is befriended by Luz (Michelle Rodriguez) a woman who runs a taco stand and leads a group that helps smuggle Mexican nationals into America.

Machete makes a little money fighting in an alley. This leads to a job offer to assassinate a local US Senator, Senator McLaughlin (Robert De Niro). Machete reluctantly takes the job. When he is in place to shoot the Senator, he quickly figures out that he is being set up as the fall guy. Another sniper shoots at Machete and then shoots the Senator in the leg. Machete is blamed for the assassination attempt, and the only way to prove his innocence is to go after the people who hired him and take them out. At the same time, he is going up against anti-emmigration radicals who are working with the Senator and his campaign manager, the one who hired Machete in the first place. It all comes full circle when it turns out that they are business partners with Torrez. On Machete's side is Luz, the members of her group, and Federal agent Santana (Jessica Alba).

(Steven Seagal as Torrez prepares to fight Machete)

(Robert De Niro as Senator McLaughlin and Jeff Fahey as Booth)

It's not a great storyline, but that's not why you watch this movie. It has nonstop action, sexy women (Michelle Rodriguez, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan, twins Electra and Elise Avellan, and more), and an unparalleled cast. This movie was exactly what I thought it would be and more. If anything surprised me, it was the stellar cast (Robert De Niro, Steven Seagal, Don Johnson, Cheech Marin, Lindsay Lohan, Tom Savini, etc.).

(Michelle Rodriguez as Luz)

(Electra and Elise Avellan as the nurses)

(Jessica Alba as federal agent Santana)

This movie is a definite must-see and is on my to-buy list. I give it a rating of 6/6.

coolfrog
elite
elite

Re: Machete (2010)

Postby coolfrog » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 15:17

its a very good movie with alot of action, very good!! 6/6

Return to “North America”