elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Watchmen

Postby Skaila » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 21:26

Because graphic novels rock, right?

Imagine a world where superheroes exist, except they have no real power. They are ordinary people, fed up with how things work, and decide to take matters into their own hands. They suit up and voila, you've got the Minute Men.

Out of all these heroes, there is one true superhero with superpowers: Dr. Manhattan. Due to an accident he has a godlike status. Imagine the Vietnam War and now imagine it being won by the USA. Richard Nixon going strong and taking on a third term as the president, or even the assassination of JFK is altered. As you may have figured out, we're in a different timeline, a what it.

Fast forward to the 1980s. The Minutemen have either died or given up their vigilante style. The second generation of superheroes (Watchmen) has been disbanded by then as well and only three remain active: the Comedian, Dr Manhattan and Rorschach. In the mean time total nuclear war is a constant threat.

The movie basically starts with the murder of the Comedian. Rorschach investigates what has happened and whether someone is trying to get rid of the 'masks'. Only a handful are known to the public, so he goes to warn them. He even goes as far as questioning the Comedian's nemesis. Eventually Rorschach is set up for murder and things progress from there.

There are several versions of the movie. The theatrical cut, the special edition cut (up to 3 hours) and the superawesome cut which has The Black Freighter incorporated into it (3.30 hours). I've only seen the second one, and am going to watch the superawesome cut.

As opposed to the live action movie, the Tales of the Black Freighter itself is a cartoon. But hey, it's voiced by Gerard Butler... which is always a good thing. Not that I'm biased >.>

In the movie there are not many things explained, for example Rorschach's mask. I know this because the friend I went to the cinema with did not shut up about it. But overall, they stayed close to the material. Some shots are directly taken from the graphic novel itself. The costumes are also updated, thank God. I don't think I could have endured the Comedian and his gimp outfit :P

ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Watchmen

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 02:40

Skaila wrote:the friend I went to the cinema with did not shut up about it.

You've seen this with Blunt too ? He was mad out of the cinema! :D

Personally I've liked the movie. I didn't remembered much about the comics I had read as a teenager and hadn't been able to read again before the movie as I found it had taken serious age in the meantime...

From these long memories and the discussions I've had with Blunt and others I think I have now a good idea about what was missing and what had been changed from the original material. I know that many are outraged about my conclusion which is that I really like this movie :terrorite:

5/6 from me :D

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 07:44

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I went to the cinema for this (not something I do on a regular basis - most of my films I watch in the comfort of my own home) because I'd been waiting for over 20 years for it. I was working in a comic shop when Moore and Gibbons created it, and not only bought the originals, but the hardback graphic novel.

I was not disappointed. Yes, there were a few changes. The Black Freighter story was excised. This had a knock-on effect to the plot, in that a subplot about a missing writer and artist was also lost.. ultimately meaning that the entire end of the story had to be rewritten! Again, I for one didn't really have a problem with that. The film ending was at least as plausible, if not more so, than the one in the book.

Some of the characterisations/castings were inspired. Jackie Earle Haley was perfect as Rorschach, Jeffrey Dean Morgan convinced as The Comedian, and Billy Crudup was effective as Doc Manhattan.

I also appreciated the way that the opening scenes from key chapters were recreated using the actual source material as storyboards - the tight closeup pulling back to a wider shot was used effectively in the books - why change it? Visually, the film generated the look and feel of a somewhat desperate and debauched not-too-distant time.

All in all, it captured the essence and mood of the comics, and told the story well. I couldn't really ask for much more.

On IMDB I gave this 8/10, which equates to 5/6 here.

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 07:52

I gave it a 4/6. I liked it, but I doubt I'll watch it again.

I thought Rorschach stole the movie. He was easily the most compelling character in the movie. And Malin Akerman is extremely hot!!

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 11:04

My personal favourites were Rorschach. The way he sounded and acted, he was great. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian was a plus. I knew him from Supernatural which I don't watch, but my other (geeky) friend loves it xD

And Chevvie, when I meant my other friend not shutting up about it, I meant it in the bad sense. She literally was talking throughout the movie >.< Nearly slapped her :P
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 11:23

Exactly what I understood, Skaila ;)

And regarding the end I'm totally agreeing with Wulf. I do prefer the movie's end for it is, I think, more "realistic" and modern.

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 19:29

Skaila wrote:She literally was talking throughout the movie >.< Nearly slapped her :P

Ooh, cat fight!! You should sell tickets!! :gj:
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:28

Discovered the movie with the ultimate director cut (pieces of Black Freighter in it), gosh, it IS long but it's good. I didn't really like 300 but the visuals of this Watchmen are great, rehabilitate Zack Snyder to me. I liked the styled shooting of the whole picture.

My only questionning is : why didn't they adapt a little more the story to make it more contemporary ? Is it impossible (I don't know the comics) ? Because this Nixon in year 1985 thing, I had the feeling of watching something outdated.

I put a 5.

Return to “North America”