No votes

Total votes: 4
Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

The Crazies

Postby Ehlyah » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 16:17

There's something in the water.

We've all said it, we've all thought it when people started acting strange, but what if there actually was something?
What if the water drove you crazy?
What if the government knew about it and turned its back on you?

The Crazies, a remake of Romero's 1973 movie of the same name, shows us what happens when that comes true.

Starring
    - Timothy Olyphant as David Dutton
    - Radha Mitchell as Judy Dutton
    - Joe Anderson as Russell Clank

It starts easy enough. The town drunk acts strange and is shot. Tragedies happen everywhere, every day.
But then a man traps his wife and son and kills them by setting the house on fire, watching it burn while he calmly mows the lawn. David Dutton, the Sheriff of the small farming town Ogden Marsh is stumped and sets out to find out what is causing this behaviour. It isn't long before chaos descends in the form of the military and an entire town is erased from the map.

The Crazies feels very much like any other zombie movie. A highly infectious disease and violent infected make for some very suspenseful scenes, made even better by the fact that contrary to most zombies, these people haven't lost their higher brain functions. They think. They're human. They're worse.
A second threat is created by the military and the way it deals with the contamination and the town's population. A simple containment procedure quickly devolves into prisoner camps and the mindless killing of unarmed civilians. Killing the sick is simply a bonus.

Many zombie movies have a very predictable pattern: zombie attack, kill zombie, run away. Rinse and repeat for 1.5 hours. Intersperse with people dying horribly. It's a yoyo effect of suspense and relief, only really appealing to fans of the genre.
The Crazies, on the other hand, does not let up for one minute. The suspense is near constant, the atmosphere so tense it could cut. The dual threat from the sick and the military leaves our main characters with nowhere to run and only each other to turn to (or on). In classic Romero style, and I can only appreciate the fact that this was left in the movie, the military is cruel and the government is always watching you.

The cast in this movie is largely made up of unknowns, but they deliver a decent performance and are certainly not a detriment to the quality. The effects as well are well arranged and the flickering lights and piled up corpses might just have you checking behind that couch a second time.
For horror movie fans who like a bit of gore and the dark side of our caring government, I can only recommend you turn off the lights and get ready to enjoy.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: The Crazies

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 17:06

Hey thanks for this entry Ehlyah ! :gj:

According to the story I think I've seen the original movie. I had completely missed the remake. I'll try to catch that ;)

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 17:20

Chevalier Bayard wrote:Hey thanks for this entry Ehlyah ! :gj:

According to the story I think I've seen the original movie. I had completely missed the remake. I'll try to catch that ;)

I'd really like to see the original. According to what I've read, it's rather more gruesome than this version, if not in gore then in the way the people treat each other.

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 14:50

No poll? I saw this last week. Thought it was pretty boring and unimaginative. I give it a 2/6.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 15:19

Poll is set. It's not like you had all powers to do it :roll: :D

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 06:32

Finally cast my vote. :)
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:29

Saw that one the other day. I used to like zombie movies, but since the invasion they have made in various movies these last years, I feel am growing weary of them. Honestly, how many movies about zombies have we seen in the 2000's ? 500 ? more ? How many good one ? 3 or 4 ?

I am confused with all the titles with Dead in it, so... And now even non-zombies movies have zombies in it. The original Romero "Crazies" thing was a big joke, with some tense moments and hilarious ones based on the idea you could t for sure differ infected people from non-infected people. There was this granny knitting all day long in an absurd way raising doubts about her being infected or not, and so on, meanwhile the army intervention was totally nonsensic.

In the remake, it is easy to recognize an infected, he turns zombie. Plain and simple. And he does the usual zombie stuff, trying to kill people mumbling things like " Bweuarrrrhg Burp Graou Graou". Still they can run, which was impossible for original zombies in some movies, but possible in others. The ultimate answer to this delicate "zombie can run" subject is the competence of skilled scholars, I won t interfere in it.

This has become such conventional stuff that it is really difficult to be scared at all. Timothy Olyphant doesn't help much, he is totally inexpressive in the whole movie.

The tense situations are classic, making easy to guess who will survive, who won't. Main characters are always saved in the same pattern : at the last second, someone whose arrival was unseen "unexpectedly" shot at the head of the crazyzombie from the back. This might be a spoiler, but really, the trick is used so many times in the movie that I felt pity for the scenarists.

Disapointing stuff.

Return to “North America”