Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Kick-Ass

Postby Skaila » Thu 20 May, 2010 12:45

There are plenty of graphic novels turned into a movie. Think V for Vendetta and Watchmen being the most recent. Superhero movies are pretty popular these past few years: Iron man, Spider-Man, the upcoming Avengers movie and so on. But what if you didn't have any superpowers?

Meet Dave Lizewski. He's your average American teenager. He doesn't stick out in a crowd and his only superpower is his invisibility to girls. He loves comic books and one day he poses the question as to why no one ever tried being a superhero. The simple answer: they'd get their asses kicked.

The idea is formed and eventually worked out by Dave. He buys some equipment and dons his costume under his regular clothes. Eventually the idea of becoming a superhero becomes reality when he faces off against a couple of bullies who try to steal a car. Things do not go according to plan.

The girl of his dreams thinks he's gay after the previous events, and becomes friends with him. In the mean time, two new people enter the scene: Big Daddy and his 11-year-old daughter, Hit-Girl. They have a personal vendetta against the crime boss Frank D'Amico he in turn believes Kick-Ass is behind the deaths of his men. Things progress from there.

I've seen the trailer and was immediately interested in the movie. Who hasn't dreamed of being a superhero when they were younger? But superheroes usually posses some superpower. Watchmen explored this in an alternative universe, but those people still had some superpowers (think Dr. Manhattan). Now we see ordinary people turning into not so ordinary crime fighters.

Usually I either read the comic before i go see the movie (like Watchmen) or read the comic afterwards (as I did with V for Vendetta). I decided to wait to read the comic after I've seen the movie, but as it turns out, the comic and movie were both made simultaneously. The comic came out February 2008 and ended February 2010. Of course, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are some differences between comic and movie. So here's a warning: thar be spoilers up ahead yaarrr.

Movie: Big Daddy is an ex-cop who was framed by Frank D'Amico. He was thrown in jail, while his wife had to survive. She died, but his unborn daughter was saved. Once he got out, he trained his daughter into Hit-Girl and himself as Big Daddy to take out D'Amico and get their revenge.
Comic: Big Daddy is an accountant dissatisfied with his current life. He took his daughter and created a more interesting life. D'Amico (called Genovese in the comics) seemed a good 'villain' to concentrate on.
---
Movie: You know from the start that Red Mist is D'Amico's son and he's behind the plot to dupe Kick-Ass getting help from Big Daddy and Hit-Girl.
Comics: It's not until the end that Red Mist reveals him to be the son of D'Amico (or Genovese)
---
Movie: Dave confesses to his love interest that he isn't gay and he's kick-Ass. They end up together.
Comics: He confesses to her as well, instead she sends her ex-bf to trash him and sends him pictures of performing oral sex on him.

The actors themselves were perfectly cast. I absolutely LOVED Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy. I also loved it how he used the speech pattern of Adam West' Batman when he was running around as his alter ego BD.

Aaron Johnson as Kick-Ass did a fabulous job. he was believable and lovable as the comic book geek turning into a real life superhero. He didn't overdo it, and you are rooting for him.

Also Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Red Mist was great. He's simply trying to get the approval of his father. He plays the rich kid well. (I want that car though >.>)

But i think (and i dare anyone to disagree) that Chloë Grace Moretz as Hit-Girl stole the movie. She is 12-13-years-old and played the most bad-ass character you'll ever meet. And with that, there is also controversy. During the movie she'll say words such as cunts, cock, and a whole lot of fucks. Apparently people are shocked that she is allowed to say that. But the fact that she kills 20+ guys is a-okay :P

One last thing: the soundtrack is awesome. Music is always a HUGE part of the movie and they chose some excellent music, it really suits the scenes. And that's all i'm gonna say, now go see yourself!

To me, this movie gets a 5/6.

ImageImage

lazur
local
local

Re: Kick-Ass

Postby lazur » Thu 20 May, 2010 15:24

I've wtached this movie last week after being so dissapointed by the last Scot'sfilm.

It's been ages since i haven't had so much fun. The atmosphere is addictive, i laughed a lot.
It truly deserves a winning 6.

IT KICKS ASS so GO AND WATCH IT ASAP!!!!!

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Thu 20 May, 2010 17:08

I have to admit, i'm stuck between giving it a 5 and 6.

I want to go see it again xD
ImageImage

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Fri 21 May, 2010 11:16

Amazing movie with an amazing soundtrack. Over the top visceral violence and funny at the same time. I think this is definitely a great movie.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 00:46

Finally saw it tonight and I happened to be so enthousiastic about it I watched it again as soon as ti was ended. LOVED it !!

6/6 from me. Yay Hit Girl !! :acdc:

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 21:31

It was nothing like I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the whole movie. 5/6
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 11:06

Last year, there was the discovery of District 9, this year, it's Kick Ass.
One hell of a masterpiece.
6/6
And best movie of the year so far (with Agora and Lovely Bones) until Scott Pilgrim is released.

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 17:40

even with the good ratings I was a bit reluctant about this one, superhero things is not my favorite stuff, but this one really delivers I go for 5/6, really great !

Return to “North America”