Total votes: 2
Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Postby Rawhide » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 07:55

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is loosely based on a true story. The exorcism of Anneliese Michel was officially sanctioned by the Catholic Church and she was officially recognized by the church as being demoniacally possessed. Doctors believed that Anneliese suffered from epilepsy and various mental illnesses. After 10 months of unsuccessfully trying to treat Anneliese for mental illness, she refused further medical treatment. She claims that the demons inside her had ordered her to stop allowing the medical treatment.

She also believed that the only way she would be cured was through exorcism. A priest tried performing exorcisms once or twice a week for the next 10 months with no success. A total of 67 exorcisms were performed on her. Anneliese eventually believed that she was meant to die as atonement for the sins of the youth of the day and for the apostasy of modern priests.

Anneliese started experiencing seizures 7 years before the exorcisms and was diagnosed with epilepsy long before the period of reported possession. During this time, she was known to punish herself for the sins of other youths, priests, and drug addicts by sleeping on the bare floor in the middle of winter. As she aged, her behavior became more bizarre including eating spiders and coal off of the floor, tearing off her clothes, and licking up her own urine. She had also started hearing voices telling her that she was damned and seeing hallucinations while praying.

The backstory is important to know here because the scenes of Emily Rose in the movie were brilliant. Jennifer Carpenter was incredible in the role. The scenes of Emily Rose with her body and face in distorted positions and expressions was scary ..... and real. They saved a ton of money when making the movie when they discovered that Jennifer Carpenter was able to make and hold those expressions on her own. Furthermore, Jennifer is double-jointed and the scenes of her body frozen into distorted shapes were really her contorting her own body.

Unfortunately, Emily Rose was not in most of the movie. The movie centers on the trial of the priest after Emily Rose's death. The trial does serve well as a platform for telling Emily's story and for spanning the time gaps between the various scenes with her. But at times, it seems to drag on as well. There is one particularly pivotal scene where they play the recording of the exorcism as proof that she was possessed. They used actual audio from the real recording in the movie, and the audio is extremely creepy.

You can listen to a 90 minute recording of one of Anneliese's exorcisms ... if you dare: http://web246m.dynamic-kunden.ch/maria/Download/michel_90.wma (86.1 Mo)

I've watched this movie several times for the scenes of Emily Rose alone. I give it a 5/6
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

coolfrog
elite
elite

Re: The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Postby coolfrog » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 14:30

I have seen this movie and i wont say i really enjoyed it but i do find it a movie to watch when you "just want to watch a movie" or an "escape from other crap on the television" so ill give it a 4/6 :p

Return to “North America”