Total votes: 4
Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Predators

Postby Rawhide » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:03

Predators
The most dangerous killers on the planet... but this is not our planet.
Image Image

Sometimes Hollywood doesn't know when a franchise is played out. Some franchises should be allowed to die. This is not one of those times. The Predator franchise is back better than ever with Predators.

Hollywood's latest gimmick to try to revive a franchise is to do a reboot. A reboot is a complete retelling of a story as if the original movies never existed. Some of these have been very successful (Rob Zombie's Halloween ... as well as its sequel) and some have sucked big time (Friday the 13th). In fact the second Alien vs. Predator was a reboot of the first. This movie is no reboot, however. This movie is a sequel of the first two Predator movies, and in my opinion, it is the best Predator movie yet.

In this new version of the movie, the action is once again back in the jungle, but this time, the jungle isn't on Earth. Some of the deadliest killers on Earth have been collected and dropped into a strange jungle. This group consists of a motley crew of experienced killers including a Spetsnaz, Alpha Group member (Oleg Taktarov), an ex-CIA turned mercenary (Adrien Brody), a sniper (Alice Braga), a Yakuza (Louis Ozawa ChangChien), a serial rapist (Walter Goggins), a drug cartel enforcer (Danny Trejo), a member of an African death squad (Mahershalalhashbaz Ali), and a doctor (Topher Grace) .... a doctor??? WTF???

The killers form an uneasy team. The three killers with military backgrounds take charge and keep the group focused on their situation. They quickly learn that they are being hunted by some unseen alien creatures. Unlike the first two Predator movies, their goal is more than just survival this time. They also need to find a way home. First they must find a way to survive. They are lucky enough to be found by a survivor of a past hunting trip (Laurence Fishburne) who has hidden for many years in an old crashed space ship. He gives them a lot of information that comes in handy later on. Thanks to him we learn that there are actually 2 species of Predator, and they are at war with each other. Have been for a long time. The hunting trips are really training for fighting each other.

And the Predators aren't the only thing they have to fear. Something else has been dropped into the jungle via parachute. The group find a bunch or large, empty cages that were dropped and torn open forcefully. Whatever was in there was very large, very heavy, and very strong. The creatures turn out to be trained animals that the Predators send out to flush the killers out. They are the Predators' version of hunting dogs.

So the questions are .... Who will survive? How will they survive? Will they get off of the planet? And why the f*** was a doctor among the killers?

For me, this is the best movie in the franchise. They took the story in new, unexpected directions and really injected new life into the series. I will definitely watch this movie again and again. I'd give it a bonus point for the fight scene between the two different species of Predators if I wasn't already giving it the maximum points.

6/6

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Predators

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:48

6/6 for Predators, really ? :eek:

Dang former Aliens VS Predators were so bad and the critics I read for this one so harsh too that I had no regret to miss that movie. Now you make me doubt ... I'll try to see it soon :)

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:08

I grew up with the Aliens and Predator movies and loved them. Heck I even enjoyed Aliens versus Predator, and even got some comics. Yeah yeah, it spells geek but meh :P

I was weary about watching this one, but I may give it a try now o.o
ImageImage

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 12:06

Seen it and loved it 6/6

To bad the mexican/Indian looking guy dies as first because after i have seen machete i think he is a great actor

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 17:56

Skaila wrote: Heck I even enjoyed Aliens versus Predator

Mee too :blush:

I found Predators OK, well shot, as an action movie it delivers but there must have been some serious decay in the fighting skills of Predators; In the first movie, a single predator killed a whole platoon and was very close to win against the governor of California, in this new movie a whole bunch of predators is swept away by Adrian Brody :D

I dunnow, I would say 4 (yihiii I found the solution, put a 4 for every movie, I always hated those marks anyway :roll: ) for the fun, but it could have been far better with a more elaborate script. This give the feeling they had a very good idea, developped the personnalities of the human fighters but forgot about the Predators in the process.

People are arguing a lot about this one, there is too many Predators fans with specific expectations :p :terrorite:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 20:56

Without this topic I wouldn't have watch this movie before ending on it during a zapping session. Despite my feelings regarding the movie, this topic made me curious. I watched Predators today and ... indeed found it enjoyable !! :)

I won't go to a 6/6 but I really found it much better than the 2 Aliens VS Predators and, even, better than Predator 2 :eek:

Regarding the "victims figures", on the contrary of the first movie, this time the humans have a clear better idea about what they are dealing with, even if Adrian Brody playing Rambo makes me uncomfortable as well :D

I think as for the Aliens, it would be a mistake to develop more the Predators behavior. Their taste for hunting associated with their obviously advanced technological civilization makes them an enigma for us and that's all the interest :)

4/6 from me too.

Return to “North America”