0/6
No votes

Total votes: 3
Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Moon

Postby Nau of Sands » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 17:44

Moon is a small independent science-fiction movie that is worth seeing.

In a future not too far away, a worker is alone in a lunar base. His job is to overview the extraction of Helium 3 by machines and its shipment to earth, since at that time, He3 has become a crucial source of energy.

At the beginning of the movie, the 3-year contract of this worker played by Sam Rockwell is about to end, and he is looking forward the trip back home on earth. He has grown tired of this loneliness, reduced to communicate with his family via cameras and having as only talking presence a robot (which voice is Kevin Spacey).

The only thing that could complicate his return on earth would be an unexpected event…

This is the first movie of director Duncan Jones (for those interested in people, he is the son of David Bowie), with a small budget, a real challenge for science-fiction movies. Visually, the movie is beautiful, I liked the lunar ground sequences obviously shot with toy-models and some SFX added in post-production, give a fun aspect to the movie. There is a kind of vintage Sci-Fi mood in it, loosely reminding the 1980’s, with some references to older movies such as Kubrick’s 2001, Tarkovsky’s or Soderbergh’s Solaris (as you wish), but closer to less ambitious movies such as Trumbull’s Silent Running.

Maybe the biggest flaw of the movie is there, in its lack of ambition. Having seen a lot of stories of this kind, the plot is simple. When something happens, you know in classic science-fiction there is only some usual options to explain this kind of event. So, after a few seconds of interrogation wondering which option the storyline is going to follow, once the choice is made and obvious, there is no more surprises and the movie is not really mind-puzzling.

But it works thanks to Sam Rockwell, who is incredibly good. He performs a very subtle one-man show and manages to act naturally the absurd events his character goes through. Very pleasant to watch, this movie deserves a 4/6.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Moon

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 23:44

I was so sure I had done a topic about this movie that I did check when I saw your topic. Well I haven't and that was a mistake cause Moon clearly deserves to be here. I didn't know what to expect when I discover that movie which was not in the best conditions as in a train on my mobile phone... and I did love it and watched it back on TV as soon as I was back home.

I really love the music from Clin Mansell which, just thinking about the movie, came quickly back to my head and the acting is indeed amazing. I agree with your general view and then follow you on the 4/6 which is, I remind it, not a bad mark so GO SEE IT !!!

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:00

I did a quick check before posting, found nothing, but I hope now there is no topic lost somewhere on the forum :p

Yeah, 4/6 is good mark for me, and I was happy to watch a SciFi movie, there is not that many of them.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:45

Nau of Sands wrote:I did a quick check before posting, found nothing, but I hope now there is no topic lost somewhere on the forum :p

If I had done it, the index would be updated :p :roll: (and the pics resized, completed with "G2unit" layer and hosted on our server ..)

=> http://www.g2unit.com/node/63 being at the hotel currently I let you guys update properly the posts here after I've done it on G2u...

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 03:24

莫名奇妙

yeah yeah I know but I was fearing I would do it wrong

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:16

I have seen this one and i tihnk it was a good movie, only sometimes i wasnt actually sure what he was trying to do but ok :P it was a good movie with some weird parts at the end so ill give it a 4/6

Return to “North America”