Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Postby Skaila » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 18:58

The Sorcerer's Apprentice isn't a great movie, at all. They take a great concept and twist it rather oddly. It's a combination of science and magic, and neither one of them really get off the ground. Nevertheless, it's enjoyable to watch and maybe for some this sparks some nostalgia.

I guess I grew up with Disney movies, like most kids my ages and older or younger. One of those movies I got thrust upon me by my parents was Fantasia (1940). I never quite liked it, it was classical music and heck, I was only a kid. I wanted something fun, but then one of the segments got my attention. Remember Mickey as an apprentice to a wizard and things go wrong when he brings mops to life to clean the place up? Yeah, I loved that bit.

So they decided to make a live action movie all based on that segment. I wasn't too enthusiastic about the idea, but I have always loved Nicholas Cage for some reason. So what's the worst that could happen? Oh right, that. I kid, the movie wasn't terrible, but the plot seems rather... far fetched.

Nicholas Cage is Balthazar, a powerful wizard trained under Merlin (yes THAT Merlin) and guarding Grimhold (a nesting doll). A long time ago, he battled Morgana (played none other than Alice Krige - Star Trek fan, I apologize) and Horvath (Alfred Molina). he defeated both by imprisoning them in the nesting doll.

Enter current time period where a young boy witnesses magical events when Horvath escapes his prison and battles Balthazar. This boy is later to be revealed as the Merlinian Prime aka the direct descendant of Merlin.

Confused yet? Yeah, me too.

I wasn't sure whether this was a comedy, thriller, action movie or a romance. I am still quite confused as to why normal humans couldn't see the magic at the end of the movie. It wasn't explained at all and it bothered me. Also the sudden deus ex machina style bothered me as well. I would at least would have liked some sort of build up. Ah well.

The one thing I really DID love was the nod to Fantasia and the original segment with the mops cleaning up. I loved that scene. Also as much as i love Nicholas Cage, I would have loved seeing him more... eccentric. He played the character well, but rather bland in my opinion. He has lived a thousand years, you surely must be a bit crazy, right? Alfred Molina as the evil Horvath could have been better as well. Again, a very bland villain. Alice Krige (as much as I adore her as the Borg Queen) just passes as the generic supervillain.

You may wonder if all performances were bad? Nope, i quite liked 'Dave' (Jay Baruchel) or the apprentice himself. A lovable nerd or geek who suffers still from what has happened 10 years ago. Full blown wizard battles can do that to a child. He plays the part well.

My last gripe or rant, more or less, is the magic. Only a part is about magic and the majority about science, because Dave is a physics major. I found that quite disappointing. Defeating evil wizards with science instead of magic? what's the point of magic then? Just a small grip.

Overall, I'd say it's an enjoyable movie if you don't think too much of it. Kids will surely love it, and as such I give it a 3/6.

ImageImage

coolfrog
elite
elite

Re: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Postby coolfrog » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 22:17

Yea a 3/6 is really the highest it can get because you expect more from Nicolas Cage because he is a great actor.
This movie doesnt make any sense at all.
I only give ti a 3 because its about magical stuff, but else nothing much

Return to “North America”