0/6
No votes

Total votes: 1
Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Exit through the gift shop

Postby Nau of Sands » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 13:14

My knowledge of Street Art is close to nil. In the street I lived in Paris, an artist known as Miss’Tic regularly came decorate stairs next to a bridge, and I saw here and there some Space Invader’s mosaics. I don’t have the feeling that time is close when people will come do that in Beijing where I am now. So I may not be the best reviewer here for this material, but let’s try it..

The “mockumentary” has a very sophisticated background. This should have been the ultimate documentary about Street painting, made by a French marginal whose name is Thierry Guetta, aka Mister Brainwash. This man has spent more than eight years of his life following street artists with a camcorder, almost every night. Now, he has enough footage about world famous artists to release a movie that will be a cornerstone for all those interested in history of art.

Or maybe not, because as a real marginal, the way he piles the videos lacks some order (you can call it a mess) and he has his own concepts about cutting and directing.

Another slight problem is that he might not exist. This remains unclear. He has signed a Madonna album cover (Celebration), so maybe he exists after all. Anyway, everything changed the day he met the british artist Bansky, the most known of Street Painters. Bansky, hiding himself with a hood, found the idea interesting but decided that he preferred to take the camcorder and do a movie about the guy doing a movie about him.

This is how “ Exit through the gift shop” was born.

And this is really entertaining, raising questions about the nature of art, the art market, reception of art by the public, in a very funny way. What is great about the movie is that it never takes itself to be a too serious movie and never tries to become a pain in the ass. The mysterious, unseen Bansky appears to be a sympathetic fellow despite the kind of legendary aura he sets around his own person.

His movie ends up being a really clever one, Bansky has found the ideal way to capture this night world, with provocation, self-derision and a very sharp eye.

I give it a 5/6. It has flaws as well, but gives the feeling of seeing something really unique.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Exit through the gift shop

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 12 May, 2015 00:29

I've received a mail from artsy.net website mentioning their page about Mr Brainwash. If Nau's post caught your interest you'd better check the following link: artsy.net/artist/mr-brainwash.

Enjoy! :bounce:

Return to “Europe”