Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 31 Aug, 2005 00:19

After a crash from my {[]#^\[]~#uyryg#~} computer which is still on the desk and not falling from the 6th floor only because yoga for wookies does work from times to times ... after that then, I'm now restarting my topic about one of the best surprises I've had since the begining of 2005: Night Watch

It's not yet released in France but after I had seen the trailer (which you can see by clicking on the poster up here), I was simply too mad of expectation and very happy to manage to get the hand on a russian but subtitled in english dvd :)

You can already take for granted that the dvd has answered to all my expectations if it has not actually been beyond them :eek:

Night Watch is the adapation of the first book of a trilogy which has become a best seller in Russia.

The book has been published in 1998 and has been followed by Day Watch in 2000 and Dusk Watch just last year.

The author, Sergei Lukyanenko hadn't met success before but this trilogy about Forces of good and evil fighting in Moscow's streets nowadays have made him a very famous man in Russia and soon Worldwide as the books are currently translated in many countries.

A german version is expected for the next monthes and an english one should follow. As the movie is released in many countries, I suppose the books will follow and I hope so cause ... I will rush on these books as soon as they'll be available :D

Now enough about the environment and the books and let's get to the story of Night Watch itself.

The movie starts in 1342 in Languedoc (France) with the knights who called themselves "the Warriors of Light" and was chasing since ages the witches and all evil creatures who were torturing humans.

In 1342 they encountered for the first time the united Forces of Darkness and an incredibly huge battle started.

As Forces of Light and Forces of Darkness appeared to be of equal force, the leaders agreed on an Armistice: from this time neither good nor evil can be done without  mutual agreement.

To insure that the Armistice is respected, since that time, the Day Watch watches over the Forces of Light while the Night Watch watches over the Forces of Darkness.

As a prophecy has announced that within a thousand year the Great Other will come and plunge the World into the Darkness, both Forces are very zealous to watch over the others while they are trying to intriguate as much as possible on their own, trying to detect any sign of the arrival of the Great One to protect him or destroy him before he takes power over Evil.

As its title indicates it, in Night Watch we are following the steps of the goodies, trying to keep evil forces in the agreed limits.

We even follow a unexpected goodie as the hero, Anton Gorodetsky (Konstantin Khabensky) is a vampire  :x

Indeed in the World of Night Watch, many fantastic creatures live among humans from vampires to demons through metamorphes, wizards and witches.

According the Armistice, they can have all a "peacefull" life as long as they respect the rules and in particular, don't reveal their existence to the humans.

Of course they won't as the movie wouldn't have much interrest if they did :D

I won't for now tell you more about the story and let you discover it by yourself as it's better like that (and as it's getting late too ;)).

This movie is absolutely amazing, a russian movie indeed but strangely a kind of perfect mix between western fantastic culture you'd find for example in White Wolf's RPG World Of Darkness but also the japanese one with imho a clear influence of Clamp's X/1999.

Some visuals though are entirely new and the vampire has very rarely been so greatly showed on screen with an absolutely hallucinating scene with a former haircut vampire ;)

Well ... for me and without any doubt it's a very well deserved 5/6

I can't wait to see the next !! :bounce:

Chevvie

captainnimmo
elite
elite

Postby captainnimmo » Wed 04 Jan, 2006 22:51

i watched this a while ago, in the cinema, and the subtitles went really well with the movie. as fr the story, it was good, although i found the end a bit dissapointing, but then also i found out it was different to the book is some ways (from wikipedia) but i still enjoyed at will watch the nex couple as well

don't know how to score it, i think i will give it a 4 (althogh maybe should be higher)

Mindtrust
elite
elite

Postby Mindtrust » Fri 07 Apr, 2006 22:35

i voted 5/6 i really like this movie, i'm really looking forward to  the second part  :)

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:40

I watched this yesterday, and I did enjoy it.  The mood of the picture seemed to fit the subject matter far better than Underworld, say, and I thought the lead roles were very well portrayed.

I'm looking forward to Day Watch and Twilight Watch when they eventually make it out of Russia...

I gave this 7/10 on IMDB, which works out as 4/6 here

Banks0522
peon
peon

Postby Banks0522 » Fri 08 Dec, 2006 16:47

Didn't really like it that much,
so i gave it 3/6

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 06 Apr, 2007 01:04

If you've missed it till now, you might be interrested to watch in HD the international trailer for the second part: Day Watch

=> http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/daywatch/

<table align="center"><tr align="center"><td align="center"><object CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="480" height="272" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
<param name="src" value="http://images.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/day_watch/day_watch-tlra-h.ref.mov">
<param name="qtsrc" value="http://images.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/day_watch/day_watch-tlra-h.ref.mov">
<param name="autoplay" value="false">
<param name="loop" value="false">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed src="http://images.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/day_watch/day_watch-tlra-h.ref.mov" qtsrc="http://images.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/day_watch/day_watch-tlra-h.ref.mov" width="480" height="272" autoplay="false" loop="false" controller="true" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/"></embed>
</object>.

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Fri 06 Apr, 2007 14:12

:D

Grrrroooooovvvy
legend
legend

Postby Grrrroooooovvvy » Fri 06 Apr, 2007 17:11

that's some classy parking manoeuvre!!!! Looks good....

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 06 Apr, 2007 17:56

Let's just hope it's not only SFX and the story will follow as I've red some very disapointed critics.

angelofdooooooom
roaming
roaming

Re: Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)

Postby angelofdooooooom » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 12:39

sorry about digging up graves
but i need to rant about this book and i cant find anywhere :(
im aware this is the film section
but im angry, i dont like this book, so im never going to watch the film :angry:
not much of a rant but i forgot what i was angry at

Return to “Europe”