Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

The PUSHER Trilogy

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:19

Sorry for the delay which might be necessary for the weakest connections to download this page due to te numerous pictures illustrating the review but today I'm not just talking about one movie but about the three movies of a trilogy: the PUSHER trilogy.

We've seen this trilogy in movie theater on saturday early morning with Nau, watching the three films in a row !! :eek:

Hopefully I feel after having seen them that it really was worthy to get up early and test my back's recovery. Here I am now to promote these movies here ;)

They are:The three of them take place in Copenhagen, Denmark. Their stories follow each other but they are all around the same plot: in each a dope deal turns bad and the main character then finds himself in a difficult situation, potentially deadly, which asks him to adapt fast.

If the three movie turn around the same characters, some who are second plan in one come in the first one in another as each movie is around one character in particulary which, amazingly makes each movie different to the others while the three of them buid a very coherent and unique set.

Now let's see the movies one by one before returning to the whole trilogy ;)

IMDb wrote: Pusher (1996)
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Genre: Action / Drama
Runtime: 105 min
Language: Danish / Swedish
Color: Color
SoundMix: Dolby Digital
Certification: Iceland:16 / France:-16 / Argentina:18 / Chile:18 / Finland:K-16 / Norway:15 / Spain:18 / Sweden:15 / UK:18 / Germany:16 / Denmark:15

This first movie is about which we can hope to be Frank's worst week of his life. Frank (Kim Bodnia) is a little drug dealer who lives from different little trafics.

When he is contacted by a former swedish jail mate for an important drug order, Frank doesn't measure the risks he is taking, especially as he counts on his best friend Tonny (Mads Mikkelsen) to cover his back. But when things don't at all turn as expected Frank looses both the money and the drug of the exchange and finds himself massively in debt to the Balkan drug baron Milo (Zlatko Buric).

From this moment the pressure on his shoulder gets higher each day as Frank knows Radovan (Slavko Labovic), Milo's zealous handyman, will soon pay him a very unfriendly visit. He has no choice but to pay his debt before this moment or to organize his escape with Vic (Laura Drasbæk), the woman he won't admit to care about but seems to do anyway ...

For a first movie at the age of 25, Nicolas Winding Refn shows that Lars von Trier doesn't summarize on his own the danish cinema and that other talents do exist.

This first movie is very well directed and cut. The image is typically danish (for what I know) with a noisy picture and a feeling that most of the movie is taken by a cam on shoulder. The movement is quite constant which reinforces the immersion in the heart of the action and the story, especially when it is served by such great actors. Kim Bodnia in particular handles easily the movie making Frank very authentic, clearly sharing his fears with the audience as the sword of Damocles is getting closer and closer to his head...

A must see: 5/6

IMDb wrote: Pusher II (2004)
Genre: Action / Drama
Runtime: 100 min
Language: Danish
Certification: France:-16 / Germany:16 / UK:18 / Finland:K-15 / Denmark:15 / Norway:15 / Sweden:15 / New Zealand:R18

This second movie is centered on Tonny (Mads Mikkelsen) who we had last seen in a very bad shape after he had encountered a base-ball bat in the first movie. Many years have passed and Tonny, who must have been caught for a reason or another, is just getting out of jail where he owns his survival for being the son "the Duke".

Cause Tonny is just as weak in the inside that he want to appear in the outside. "The Duke", Smeden (Leif Sylvester) is a very cold man who is alwas ready to remind his entourage his disapointment regarding his son whom he claims to be a useless idiot, a junkie with no future.

Tonny desperatly want to please his father and see in his eyes a minimum of pride and respect. But whatever he does, it turns wrong, like the drug deal in which his friend Kusse-Kurt ("Kurt the dumb" Kurt Nielsen) has involved him.

As if it was not enough, Tonny also learns that he is a father. A situation which drives him to think even more about his own relation-ship with his father while he accepts his child and he's afraid to become an as bad father for the baby as his own has been for him...

This second movie has been my favourite among the three. Mads Mikkelsen is nothing but perfect which allows him to support on his own shoulder a huge part of the movie as so much is transmitted to the audience by his acting, so many questions, doubts, pains and fears which are haunting Tonny and adding so much to the atmosphere as a Machiavellian trap is closing upon him.

A 6/6 for me.

IMDb wrote: Pusher 3 (2005)
Genre: Action / Comedy / Drama / Horror / Thriller
Runtime: 90 min / Chile:104 min (Toronto International Film Festival)
Language: Serbo-Croatian / Danish / Albanese / English / Polish
Certification: France:-16 / Denmark:15 / Finland:K-18 / Norway:18 / UK:18 / Germany:18

While the two first movies were seeing there actions covering a week or a few days, the last chapter of the trilogy takes place over the course of a single day. A single crazy day in which we follow the steps of the Balkan drug baron Milo (Zlatko Buric), the one when we've seen hunting Frank in the first movie and who was directly involved in the drug deal which turned wrong in the second movie.

In this movie Milo appeared more "human", even quite pathetic when we see him pretending to go to the haircut to hide the fact he is involved in a "anonymous drug addicted" program. Yes Milo the drug baron is himself fighting against addiction !

A fight which is today very complicated when so many things happen to him in a ver single day. First he has promise his daughter to do the cooking for the 50 guests of her 25th birthday party which will take place tonight. Secondly Milo, because of a very funny event I'll keep secret, finds himself suffering from a serious lach of personnal which gives him no choice but to trust a young dealer of his, Mohammed (Ilyas Agac), who shows himself a little bit too gready and might become independant soon. Thirdly, as he feared it, Mohammed gives no call while the drug dope he was supposed to be part of must have been finished since hours. Fourth, the party is getting closer and Milo learns stuff about his daughters fiancé which add more cares in his hyper-busy mind which starts to panic as Mohammed still gives no news while others are asking for their money ...

Indeed we discover then that Milo who appeared as a "big boss" in the first movies is nothing more but another echelon in the drug trafic. Like the others he reports to a higher echelon which is not at all satisfied to see he has lost the drug they had given him without getting any money from it...

Definetly a very hard day for a very recent former drug addicted like Milo to keep to his words of not sinking again in dope... and maybe the day to find his only faithfull friend he never had in the personn of his former handyman, Radovan ...

This third movie is again very different to the two others. Especially because of the eccentricity of Milo's character very well served by Zlatko Buric's play, the first part of this movie is quite hilarious and you laugh like you certainly haven't in the two first ones. And after a second more serious and thrilling part, the arrival of Radovan makes the movie evolves to another unexpected genre with very gore scenes.

If on one hand this third movie reinforce the feeling of a dead world in which the characters are leaving as we see that even the ones who we thought to be out of it are exactly in the same sinking boat ... on the other end the humour in the third movie gives the audience enough air to not sink and keep some distance with the action ...

Personnaly I've laughed a lot but regreat to be taken out of the paranoiac atmosphere of the two first one. Anyway I've spent again a very nice moment and can hardly gives this movie a worst mark that 4/6.

All in all that's then a general mark of 5/6 for the whole trilogy which clearly must be seen as a whole.

You must see the movies in the right order to enjoy them at max. Very brillantly written, through the motivations of the different characters we see different perspectives on the very same world. Three very different movie about the very same whole.

I personnaly don't remember to have ever seen such a approach in a trilogy and really I salute very low the work done.

I've enjoyed much the journey proposed by the PUSHER trilogy and invite you to try it as well as soon as you'll can ;)

Chevvie

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sun 27 Aug, 2006 23:42

I agree with Chevvie that I prefered the 2 first movies, the third one seemed   more artificial to me when the first 2 gave the impression of immersion in the drug dealers world.

The characters in all the movie are in some ways likeable even if there is not a friendly attitude of the script towards the drug dealers.

This depicts a world of chaos where even the most well established of the criminals are in constant danger, and have difficulties finding escape and where trust and money are a clear problem.

I liked the characters, with a special mention to Frank and his girlfriend Vic in the first movie, Tonny in the second one and of course Radovan that appears in movies 1 & 3 and who is hilarious of dark humour in #3  :D

I gve it a 5/6

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:48

5/6
I saw the 3 movies in 2 days, it's really shocking, it's like a documentary
Each movie are equal
really good

Return to “Europe”