Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Postby Skaila » Fri 05 Mar, 2010 14:45

My first memory of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson is of two English gentlemen. Holmes as a sophisticated man with a pipe and silly detective hat, with a love of his violin. Dr. Watson, on the other, as a rather chubby fellow who can be rather dense at some times. Together, however, they make a great team.

Forget about that depiction, they reinvented Holmes.

Dr. Watson is moving out of the Baker Street residence, so he can marry Mary and move into his very own house. Holmes, on the other hand, will try to foil this plan. And all the while they're trying to solve a case.

Lord Blackwood is an occultist. He has killed 5 young women and is on the brink of killing a sixth, but she's saved thanks to the dynamic duo (ahem). Lord Blackwood is condemned by hanging, but not before he utters the words that death is merely the beginning, and it is. Not soon afterwards, he rises from the dead and our movie truly begins.

Add a mysterious stranger for whom Irene Adler works, several people found dead, some spiffy fight scenes and you got yourself a movie.

The first time I saw that movie I first noted I loved the music. To me, music can make or break a movie. Often I find myself thinking how the music doesn't fit and ruins a scene, or sometimes how the music can make a scene better even though it was horrible. So yes, I liked the music.

Now as for the characters, I was apprehensive. Many people complained that Robert Downey Junior isn't right for the part of Holmes, he isn't British. I found his accent to be very convincing, but to be honest you should ask a Brit. To me accents aren't *that* important, maybe he had a horrible accent after all. The performance itself, was excellent and fun to watch. Holmes is someone who likes to get his hands dirty. You see him disguising himself, fighting (martial arts influence?), unravel mysteries, speaking different languages etc. Not the typical detective perhaps, but I liked it.

I was quite pleasantly surprised that Watson isn't simply the assistant that follows Holmes around. Although you could say that Holmes manipulates him all the time, so he still is a follower. But, he has an active role in the movie and I liked that. He knows how to fight, shoot a gun and I felt him to be a better character overall.

The movie itself is around two hours and it doesn't bore you. What I did find interesting is how certain things work out, and only later you see how all these things were realised (flashbacks). But it is done in such a fashion that it isn't preachy or boring.

The fighting sequences were interesting to say the least. Often before Holmes would attack a man, you'll see a slow motion of things he's going to do to take the man out. Then it'll speed up and you'll see how he executes it. Now my only complaint here is that the director could have added that in more often (if possible). You see it in the first half of the movie, then it is ignored for the next half. I found that odd.

I DID like the fact they made the movie grimy. London in that time period wasn't a very happy place, so I'm glad they tried to make it realistically as possible.

ImageImage

Bradaviel
prince
prince

Re: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Postby Bradaviel » Sun 07 Mar, 2010 22:50

Except for a little downtime by the middle of the movie, what she said.
A must to see for all victorian-style (and good movies) loving people .

*Not* to be missed, if only for the production design, and of course, Mr Downey.
The Blog is Dead : mots du mort

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 18:43

I liked it. This Sherlock Holmes seems to be more like one in the books, IMO. In the original books, Sherlock often smoked heroin.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 00:34

But if in the book he was also boxing he wasn't doing kick-boxing :D

Just saw it and sadly really disliked it. The casting was ok and they did manage to make interesting characters but nothing to do with Holmes and Watson. I liked the landscapes and costumes but really hated the cutting and these "read my scenes" sequences with twice the same action scenes. Plus I did end the movie with my laptop on me knees as I started to really bore myself.

1/6 from me ...

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 06:21

I like the customes and surroundings that they made the msot and the movie was pretty good if you ask me, but then again i expected more from a movie based on Sherlock Holmes so its a 4/6

Return to “Europe”