Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Postby Skaila » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 18:03

For those who don't know Terry Gilliam, he has given us some awesome movies. Such as: 12 Monkeys, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Brothers Grimm, ... just to name a few. Now that you know what to expect, expect something trippy anyway.

Also to note, this is Heath Ledger's final film. But they made a nice work around for that, but still, it's sad to know it's his final movie. Now onto the review!

Doctor Parnassus has a traveling theater consisting out of Anton, Percy and his daughter Valentina. The theater has a mirror, and once you pass through you get inside your own imagination. Once inside you need to make a choice, which will turn your soul to the Devil (aka Mr. Nick) or to Parnassus (the good guy).

The Devil reminds Parnassus at one point that his daughter is turning 16 in a few days, and when she does, she will be hers. You see, Dr. Parnassus has the habit of making bets with the Devil and that often doesn't turn out well. He is desperate to save his daughter.

Along the way, they find a man who is hanging from the bridge (Heath Ledger). Valentina manages to save him and from that point onward he travels with the circus (theater). But his past is following him.

The movie is beautiful and captivating, yet trippy. One of my friends described it as such. Every time Heath Ledger goes through the mirror he changes faces, which is actually pretty nice to see. It will make sense later on too.

The cast is pretty good.

• Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Colin Farrell as Tony
  • Christopher Plummer as Doctor Parnassus
  • Andrew Garfield as Anton
  • Verne Troyer as Percy
  • Lily Cole as Valentina
  • Tom Waits as Mr Nick
  • Peter Stormare as the President of the Universe

Why should you watch this? The acting is superb, the movie is superb. However, the ending is rather confusing. But as the movie itself says, a happy ending is not guaranteed. Maybe I just have to rewatch it and as such I give this a 4/6rating. I strongly suggest to watch it, whether you like it or not.

ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 20:20

Thanks for this entry Skaila ! I really loved that movie !! :bounce:

I was a bit skeptical regarding the way the story would have dealt with Heath Ledger's death while the movie wasn't finished; and also regarding modern SFX rendering of Terry Gilliam's imaginary world so much associated with more "classical" animation.

On the first point I was clearly amazed by the result. I really wonder what the initial story was as this one is really great and all three actors are really great in this single character. So are the other actors of the casting in their role. Tom Waits is clearly one of the best villains on screen !! :absinthe:

I was also really impressed about the SFX rendering. Technical clearly hasn't take the lead on artistic as I was afraid of. The pics are modern but also very faithful to the usual fantasy world of Terry Gilliam.

I found this movie to be an amazing ride and join Skaila in her invitation to watch this movie as soon as you can if you've not seen it yet !

5/6 for me! :gj:

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Re: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Postby Skaila » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 21:43

I am pretty amazed how the other 3 actors took over the mannerisms of Ledger. It was quite nice.

Oh and I'd sell my soul to the Devil any day, if he's Tom Waits <3
ImageImage

Return to “Europe”