Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Postby Skaila » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:41

I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan. wait no, scratch that. I'm a HUGE Snape fan which turned me into a Harry Potter fan. So naturally when HP is coming out, I go see it at the movies. I also took two non-HP fans with me. Both knew a little about Harry Potter or have been (trying) to read the books. It was interesting to see their reactions.

The movie starts with the Minster of Magic (Bill Nighy) explaining to the wizarding world that everything is going to be okay. They are battling the dark forces. In the mean time, we pan back to Harry Potter and see his family leave. My first gripe starts there. You see aunt Petunia sitting in the car, ready to say something. I would have loved it to see them be sympathetic characters for once.

The rest of the movie focuses on the trio. Harry Potter escaping from his house to the Burrow, and moving on from there to London, being chased by Death Eaters once again. His mission is to find the remaining Horcruxes and to destroy them. However, the Ministry falls and the Death Eaters are closing in on them.

The story sounds short and simplistic, truthfully it is. The movie is darker, gritter. The trio is on their own, no shot of Hogwarts is seen, just a single scene of the train at one point. I'm not disappointed with this movie, I'm just wondering why they released this into two parts. When I look at the previous movies, some of the details there were really whittled down for story advancement, even though they were crucial (in my eyes).

You will also see a whole lot of characters who barely get screen time. Think of Snape, who plays such a crucial part, or the Minister of Magic. You see him twice and that's it. All the other kids who are now at Hogwarts are not being shown, and somehow i can understand that. The story is about Potter, Granger and Weasley, but still. I would hvae loved seeing a reference or a glimpse of Snape being a Head Master at Hogwarts.

Don't get me wrong. The battle scenes were awesome. Especially when muggles can basically see it all. I also would have loved it how it would have shown it was affecting the muggle world as well. This is shown in the book, if I'm not mistaken. The humour? Also well done. I really had some laughs and that's a good thing. Too dramatic is bad as well. Also the sad moments were really well done.

One thing that REALLY stuck out was the animated sequence. I thought they would read the text out loud and then actors would portray it, but I was pleased to see that animation.

But where they went wrong were the endless walks in the forest. Yes, we know they're on the run. Yes, we know they're hiding and they're looking for the Horcruxes. But do we need an entire movie of walking in the forest? Maybe once or twice or when some integral plot point is divulged. Instead it's Ron listening to radio... again... and again... and again.

Overall, I liked it, but I feel I can't judge yet since the second part still has to come out. Which I already have made plans for to go see. If I have to give this movies points, I'd say 4/6. I really feel like something is missing right now. I mainly think it's just the lack of Snape ;)
ImageImage

coolfrog
elite
elite

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Postby coolfrog » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:48

i havent seen it yet but there are plans for next week :)

xdeathknightx
earl
earl

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Postby xdeathknightx » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:09

I'm rewatching the movies and hope to see it next week somewhere

Return to “Europe”