Postby Bradaviel » Wed 05 Jan, 2005 23:14

IMDb wrote: Walk on Water (2004)
Director: Eytan Fox
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 103 min
Language: English / German / Hebrew / Italian / Turkish / Arabic
Color: Color
SoundMix: lk on Water (2004) Directed by
Certification: Switzerland:16 (canton of Zurich) / Switzerland:12 (canton of Geneva) / Switzerland:12 (canton of Vaud) / USA:Unrated / USA:R / UK:15 / Netherlands:12

Today. Eyal is an agent of the mossad.
His missions usually consists in eliminating known terrorists, which he's really good and efficiant at. But something in his personal life puts a hold on his work 'til a not too risky mission shows up :
  The grandson of A known Nazi ranked officer, Axel, comes from Germany to visit his sister Pia who lives in a kibutz in Israel. Since Alex doesn't know his way around, the mossad succeeds in making Eyal pose as a tourist guide for him, in order to discover the whereabouts of the old officer, in order to erase him.
  Eventually, Eyal and Alex become friends, and exchange their opinions about life, feelings, history, ....
 Everything points to a simple and off the books mission. But is it ?

The first big part of the movie takes place in Israel, where the director depicts a world where the bombings are a common thing which the citizens live with in their everyday life. The story allows the spectator to confront both the natives and the tourists' opinions, which is very interesting. It's also a very good insight of everyday's life in israel, should it be the kibutz living people, the towns people, jews and arabs, and their modern or not so modern views on politics, manners, lifestyles, or sex habits.

As the story evolves, it leads to the dealing with the concequences of world war two on both the Israely and German new generations and townspeople. The generations that never knew the war and are a bit angry or ashamed of what happened. The plot really deals beautifully with both cultures and settings and sees the characters deal with their personal traumas.

The story is really Gripping and interesting, as much as really moving.
it hasn't got any hollywood action but the events are so full of spirit, of feelings, energy, laughing of moving situations that it doesn't lack any.
The scenaristic structure is flawless and really visits every aspect of the subjects. tThe characters are really well depicted, with their contradiction, their opinions and past, their humanity.

A movie I recommand to everyone, interested by the subject or not, since it's a really entertaing flick, as much as a really sucessfull atempt to deal with what bothers the new generations.

I give it a full 6/6.
Sadly i didn't see much movies as good as this one in the last past year, and i for sure know it's gonna be in my 2005 top ten movie list :)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 06 Jan, 2005 01:02

wooohooo !! Congrats on your first topic here Brad :bounce:

I hadn't even heard about that movie and that's exactly why this forum is here. I'm always happy to discover new films too ;)

Thanks and be sure I'll add my critics when I'll have seen it :)

Bradaviel
prince
prince

Postby Bradaviel » Thu 06 Jan, 2005 02:09

I couldn't pass on this one, i really loved it and i know it's the kinda movies you don't hear about everyday ;)
The Blog is Dead : mots du mort

Liewen
champion
champion
Xbox Live ID: Liewen
Wii code: 7822003881806675
raptr ID: Liewen

Postby Liewen » Fri 01 Apr, 2005 13:20

I saw the movie, and I've got only one thing to say : 't was great.

Liewen
champion
champion
Xbox Live ID: Liewen
Wii code: 7822003881806675
raptr ID: Liewen

Postby Liewen » Fri 01 Apr, 2005 13:34

No no no no no.

I just can't write only one line about such a good movie. That's just SO not me...  ;)

The screenplay is good, well done : not too much, not too less, and it makes that we can't put this film in one category only. 'T's not a geopolitical spy-movie, not a historical thriller, not a family drama, not a friendship-movie, not a... etc. And yet, it is all that at the same time !

The characters are good, and, indeed, the actors who play them are just fantastic. With a special reference to Lior Ashkenazi : as a girl, I just can't resist his blue-eyed-george-clooney charisma, but it's more than that, and all the people who've seen Late Marriage can't deny it. Argentina has Ricardo Darin, Denmark has Anders W. Berthelsen, HK has Tony Leung, and Israel has Lior Ashkenazi.

Definitely, you have to see that movie, and I give it a 5/6, plus a big nomination to my "coup de coeur" personal awards  :o
   (why not a 6/6 ? 'Cos I'm very strict  ;) )

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 05 Apr, 2005 09:31

Brad ? do you have an hint for the dvd with, at least, english subtitles ?

Anyway I guessed it will be released in France too as it has stayed a long time on our screens. Not enough for I can see it though  :blush:

It seems I've really missed something  :?

Bradaviel
prince
prince

Postby Bradaviel » Sun 24 Apr, 2005 17:05

Wooooops sorry for the late answer !
there you go :
http://fr.israel-music.com/various/walk_on_water/dvd/

i got mine here, but I received it like 1 1/2month after ordering it. i guess it was out of stock for some time :)

it's got english subtitles and some extras like the premiere in tel aviv and such :)
i guess we'll ahve a good release in france too, but i couldn't wait for it, since it's not due until ... some time  :blush:  :)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 19 Sep, 2005 23:30

Finally I've seen Walk On Water and wow ! :)

Indeed I've spent a very nice moment watching it.

Lior Ashkenazi is really one of the best actors of this time with an amazing charisma.

But if a good part of the movie is on his shoulders, the other actors are very good too and so is the directing of Eytan Fox. He knows how to take his time to offer us a great pic but also know how to increase the rythm for the action scenes.

I really loved the way it all goes faster with the skinheads. :eek:

:spoilers:
I have just had the movie was ending "too fast". Even if, as Liewen told me, we see Eyal becoming less and less involved in his job and then carefull, I doubt a MOSSAD agent could let so many proofs in his room, especially when this room is located in a "nazis nest"...

And the happy end was quite ... too much.

Except these very few details, this movie is really great and worthes to be seen !!

A well deserved 5/6 from me  :tworcrules:

Bradaviel
prince
prince

Postby Bradaviel » Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:01

well, i'm very glad you liked it  :bounce:

Return to “Africa & Middle East”