Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

District 9

Postby Skaila » Fri 05 Mar, 2010 23:59

This one is straight from South Africa, and I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed.

March 1982, an alien spaceship arrived near Johannesburg with aliens on board. Those aliens were sick and dying, so the people took them in as refuges. Now (present day) those aliens live in sort of camps. These 'prawns' as they are called by the natives live in shacks and amongst the rubble from humans.

Now they are going to relocate these prawns to a different and better location. A private military organisation is used to go from shack to shack and get the signature of the aliens to move them legally. Wikus van de Merwe is one of those people responsible in getting signatures and get them removed from their home.

While searching through a shack, he notices a canister and accidentally sprays himself with the contents. He starts to feel ill and goes back to district 9 to find answers.

If this scenario looks familiar, it's because it has happened before. Think Apartheid, but minus the spaceship. It's a different take on that period of time and also how xenophobia still lives among us.

The movie starts out like a documentary, with Wikus commenting what is happening. You have family and friends commenting as well on the events and how it changed their lives. But halfway through, the movie turns from documentary into an action movie.

The movie didn't bore me, even though I knew what was going to happen. Yes, i did find the movie rather predictable, but not to the point where I'd turn it off and find something else.

One thing I liked as well was the fact that the aliens had their own language. So they don't speak English, they speak their own language, but they DO understand English. Humans, on the other hand, do not speak the aliens language, and will only speak English. I thought that was a nice touch.

District 9 was inspired by a short film, by the same director. If you're interested this is the short film:

ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: District 9

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 00:54

Yay !! District 9 !! This movie is indeed awesome !! :bounce:

I'll have to find back the exact details but more than Apartheid, I had read an interview from Neill Blomkamp in which he told about some horrible events having inspired the movie. At that time immigrant Chinese workers found themselves victims of both white and black communities, united despite Apartheid in their hatred toward them. :?

Outside what you've already said about the movie, I'll add two points. First would be the discovery of an amazing actor with Sharlto Copley, so perfect in his role of a one of the most pathetic characters becoming a hero. According to his Facebook page that he is on route to the Oscars. I'll have my fingers crossed for him on Sunday night ;)

Second point is the difference between the two parts of the movie. Before directing District 9 Neill Blomkamp worked for 5 months on Halo movie which was finally cancelled. The end of the movie clearly gives a preview of what this Halo movie could have been. While the first part borrows a lot to TV, the second part is really really influenced by video-game, from the wheel of weapons to the FPS visualisation and Half-Life's gravity gun for first time on the big screen :D

Even if personally I've enjoyed that, I must say the transition is a bit abrupt and take 1 point from my mark which is then ... 5/6. Watch it !! :gj:

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 07:20

I was bored throughout. A real disappointment.

2/6

Are we categorizing movies by where they are set now? According to IMDB, this movie comes form USA & New Zealand.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 11:10

Feel free to move the movie, but I figured it was made in South Africa, that's why I placed it here >.>

I would also like to add, I LOVED Sharlto Copley's accent. I haven't heard Afrikaans a lot, so this was definitely new. IAnd apparently he is now to appear as Murdoch in the new A-Team movie.

Too bad that the director can't finish the Halo project, I'm sure he would have done a great job.

5/6 out of me as well for the movie
ImageImage

Baskerville
crusader
crusader

Postby Baskerville » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 12:16

iMDB then takes in account the money. This movies was indeed produced by Peter Jackson (New Zealand) and, apparently U.S. founds. If we take production as the referential, with for example Canal Plus, many Hollywood movies are also French :D

District 9 was shot in South Africa, by a South African director, inspired by events which had taken place there. Plus we don't have much movies here so I prefer to keep it here as well ;)
"Looks a bit weirdski" Van - The Win-Only mantra

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sun 07 Mar, 2010 00:57

That's cool with me. I do mine based on what IMDB lists the country as, and I have no idea what they base it on.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 06:14

Im an alien movie fan so i like this movie very much but its not that great still it will get a 5/6 from me

Return to “Africa & Middle East”