Can't wait for the oscars 8)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 01 Mar, 2004 08:14

The 76th Annual Academy Awards : 11 oscars for The Retun of the King !! :bounce:

• Best Art Direction
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Directing
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best MakeUp
  • Best Music (score)
  • Best Music (song)
  • Best Picture
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Visual Effects
  • Best Writing (adapted Screenplay)

:mw:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 23 May, 2004 04:01

Thanks to Peav' I've just had today my dvd of The Return of the King, even before the US release date which is may 25th :bounce: :D

yooooohoooooo :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Shadow Goughy
baron
baron

Postby Shadow Goughy » Sun 23 May, 2004 09:57

nice one chev
i still need to watch that

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 23 May, 2004 12:11

Eeeeek ! How can you have missed the best movie of last year ???

You've really missed something. It worth to be seeing in a movie theater...

I hope they gonna released the extended version (4:15 and the package is blue ;)) in cinemas like they had done with the 2 former ones.

For the first movie I don't find that much difference but for The Two Towers, I had the feeling it was just not the same movie. The extended version is a must see. I guess it will be the same for The Return Of The King.

I wanted to wait for the extended version's released of The Return Of The King too but I just couldn't... I wanted to see it again as soon as possible ;)

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Sun 23 May, 2004 15:34

Chevalier Bayard wrote:Thanks to Peav' I've just had today my dvd of The Return of the King, even before the US release date which is may 25th :bounce: :D

yooooohoooooo :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I've got it too, I've got it too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 23 May, 2004 17:20

I know and I know I'm not the only one to have seen it again today :D

elric
rider
rider

Postby elric » Sun 23 May, 2004 17:33

I wish I had seen it before I read the books (too bad they didn't make it 20-something years ago :D ). I thought that every one of the LOTR movies would have been good or even great if they were just movies instead of based on the books. I LOVED the books, and the movie just didn't do them justice. I thought there were too many little changes (such as the extended role of Arwen) and blatant omissions (missing any references to Tom Bombadil and the entire ending of the series involving their return to a devastated Shire). I would give the whole series a 2/6. I think the only reason I went back for the 2nd and 3rd helping was some morbid fascination with what they would corrupt next.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 23 May, 2004 18:05

2/6 ??? wow. I give the whole serie a 6/6 and a 6/6 on each movies (but I'll vote for the extended version for The Two Towers which is a must see).

The role or Arween is not that much extended as in fact we know many things that we see in the first movies, only in the third book as a flashback about what has happened to Arween during all the story.

The next day I had seen the first movie in theater I had started again the books which I had already read several times since school. I just wanted to stay in MiddleEarth where Peter Jackson had managed to bring me back. Really I have not at all the feeling Peter Jackson has betrayed the books.

Far from that. I was also disapointed to not see Bombaldil but I think that keeping him in the movie would have break severly the rythm for only two scenes which are not very important if you've not read the other books than The Lord Of The Ring ones. After the scene in the first book where he spents his time singing and making us wonder who he is, he only appears in the third book during the battle for one "flash". The characters stays as mysterious at the end of the books than when we've discovered him... so I understand PJ could have decided to keep him off the movies to not see the rythm of his movie fall down while he had managed to introduce serious tension with his rendering of the dark riders...

What is funny with the book if, for the people who know them, you'll find only people who have stopped at the first book or others who have read (often, many times) the 3 books.

I know also people who have fallen asleep during the first movie !! Just imagine what the result would have been with the Bombaldil scene ... I find PJ has made a great director work : staying faithfull to the book but showing it in a way that the 3 movies have enough rythm to not loose the audience with the first movie.

The scene I really miss is the one about the Shire's cleaning ... but I wasn't expecting it since I had seen, even in the extended version, that Galadriel was not giving the required gift for the scene ;)

I think PJ has realised he wouldn't have enough time to add this scene in the third movie. Don't forget the extended version will be 4:15 long !! So I bet that if he has choosen to forget about this scene the rest will be all here.

Again, regarding The Two Towers I feel like the original cut and the extended one are just not the same movie. The added scene in the extended version just change everything. Especially regarding your perception of Denethor and Faramir.

I don't have the same feeling regarding The Fellowship Of The Ring which I love but have to admit it is for the fans first, the one who want to see the elves leaving, the one who want to see Galadriel's city-tree, ... I understand that the ones who are not already fan of the book don't see the interrest (for my part I was jumping on my chair with happyness in each added scene :D ).

Now regarding the changes which are not relatives to some "cuts", I have the feeling PJ has really change the perception I had about Boromir. Reading the book really I hadn't had such a great impression about Boromir and PJ in his movies has really done a great work on him. As, and I speak for myself, PJ has really shows on screen what "the battle for mankind" means.

Each time I've read the book I've spent the most important part of the required time for reading on the first book which "set the board" to quote Gandalf. Each time I've read the third book in one ride cause I just can't stop reading ...

The fantasy scenes of battles are the most incredible I've ever read and now they are clearly the most amazing I've ever seen on screen. I just find them incredible.

I've just watched the dvd and, even on TV, the charge of Rohan is making tears appearing in my eyes ... I just can't help it ...

Currently I'm in "troubles" ;) in cinemad and in Mad-Movies forums as I've given 1/6 to Kill Bill 2 while many thinks it's a (or THE) master piece of cinema... so I have also to realise some dislike LOTR but really I find a 2/6 is a really harsh mark for which has been awarded as the best picture of 2003 :)

elric
rider
rider

Postby elric » Mon 24 May, 2004 07:05

Hey Chev,

I didn't vote it best film, I hardly think what any awards show gives to a film qualifies in my own critiques :)

With the deletion of Bombadil also came the deletion of the Barrow Wights which led to the deletion of Merry getting a Numenorean Blade in the Barrow Downs which was supposed to be the only reason that Merry could have injured the Nazgul in the Return of the King. So much for minor adjustmenrs to the overall story. :D

There are a ton of other omissions that I was disappointed in (the entire healing process of Faramir which led to his meeting and falling in love with Eowyn, The gathering of the Entmoot where they decided to wage war on Saruman, as opposed to the actual scene where Treebeard sees the devastation and rallies the Ents) ... the list goes on and on.

Sorry I didnt like it, but the books set such a standard for myself that I believe that any movie they made wouldnt get a good review from me. I DO believe that they followed the Sam and Frodo chapter fairly well (altho making it seem like Gollum had turned Frodo against Sam was ludicrous). They just took the other chapters involving the rest of the Fellowship and just seemed to make a lot up as they went along.

Return to “Oceania”