Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 01:21

The first DVD marathon of The Lost Forum is around The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Therefore it has just started this week with The Fellowship of the Ring.

Amazingly we had yet no topic for this amazing movie by Peter Jackson. Never to late to do things correctly so here it is :)

IMDB wrote: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Director: Peter Jackson
Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy
TagLine: The Legend Comes to Life.
Runtime: 178 min | 208 min (special extended edition)
Language: English | Sindarin
Color: Color
SoundMix: DTS-ES | Dolby Digital EX | SDDS

The Fellowship of the Ring keeps the title of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books trilogy as it is its faithful adaptation.

In this first chapter we are first introduced to the land of Middle Earth and its inhabitants, especially to the most unlikely ones to play a crucial role in its History: the hobbits.

Very self-centred, the hobbits apply the cautious policy of not getting involved in stories involving people not from the Shire, their homeland. They have enough stories to deal with between themselves, no need to care about the tall creatures' problem as far as they do the same on their side and ignore the Shire.

But among them an exception exists, an adventurer going by the name of Bilbo Baggins. Exploring the world away from the Shire, Bilbo has been through lot of adventures (which are told in the book The Hobbit and which will be seen in the two films to come by Guillermo del Toro (direction) and Peter Jackson (executive producer)), and encountered many creatures including the wizard Gandalf the Grey and the weird and weak Gollum from whom he'll steal a strange ring. Doing that Bilbo bring unconsciously a terrible burden back home.

The ring is indeed no less than the ring of power forged by the evil lord Sauron himself in the Moutain of Doom. A ring with tremendous power, built for a simple purpose which can be read on the ring itself with the language of Mordor: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

Sauron had lost his ring against king Isildur some three thousands years ago when Good triumphed over Evil except that corrupting the heart of Isildur and therefore preventing him to destroy it, the ring made also this victory of Good a temporary one.

During these long millenniums the spirit of Sauron has survived, reinforcing itself slowly to finally be able to gather again an army and to send his troops seeking for the one ring.

Once Gandalf identifies the ring for what it is really, there is no more time for thinkings and action must be taken at once: the ring must be destroyed !

A fellowship of the ring is then constituted around the ring bearer Frodo (Bilbo's nephew) which counts (from left to right and top to botton on the pic bellow):
  • the elf Legolas Greenleaf,
  • the man Boromir, son of Gondor's intendant,
  • the dwarf Gimli ,
  • the wizard Gandalf the Grey,
  • the ranger Aragorn,
  • and the 3 hobbits Merry , Pippin and Sam.

And that's it for the introduction ! If you haven't seen yet this movie. I clearly advise you to do so. I've read the Lord of the Ring books for the first time when I was around 14 or 15 and these books had really made my imaginary explodes, like they have done to many people !

No need to tell you then how much excited I was to discover the movies ! How excited and worried !! Even if at that time Peter Jackson already had a very interesting career. Being the only capable of being award the Grand Prix of Avoriaz for the gorissime (but so funny) Brain Dead and the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival with the astounding Heavenly Creatures. So Peter Jackson was sure able to deal with strong emotions, fantasy and gore effects. The oracles were quite optimistic even if for all readers of the books the work appeared to be titanic due to the extreme variety of creatures encountered in the books, the incredible battle scenes involving massive and disparate armies and last but not least, the amazing landscape described in the books.

The imaginary of the books is so vast that it was indeed very risky to adapt that on screen and I know at least one TLFer who has not at all recognized in the movies the world he has imagined reading the books.

I can understand that ... but for my part it was an absolute pleasure !! The landscapes of New-Zealand are just amazing and for sure this first movie already was a huge advertisement for this country. The SFX are very well mastered. Even if I wasn't expecting less from Peter Jackson, I am still amazed to see them today.

I was not sure about how Peter Jackson would handle his actors and I don't find any critic to formulate against the casting which is clearly involved in the movie. For sure looking at the bonuses of the extended dvd versions help you to believe strongly in that ! :)

The music from Howard Shore is also great (and some of the Cinemadnautes have a weird story to tell you about that music but I hope it will come later in the topic ;)).

The only thing I was sad about was ... the incredible absence of Tom Bombadil. Clearly one of the weirdest character of the book which I really really hoped to see in the extended version as I wanted so much to see him in the third movie... I was very disapointed to not see him... even if I can understand why.... It might have been far too strange for people discovering Fantasy through that movie. Too sad :(

So all in all I give this movie a amazingly well deserved 5/6. Why not 6 especially while I still had the same pleasure to rerere...rewatch it for this marathon ? Well ... because of Bombadil anyway... but also because otherwise I'll have trouble marking the two following movie, even if I think I had marked Return of the King 999/6 :D

Well, thanks to the marathon, I hope this topic will be much alive than usual and this first post was just an introduction to launch the many discussions to come ! :)

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Re: LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Postby Rawhide » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 19:31

6/6 It deserves a 6 and TTT and ROTK deserve 7/6.

the elf Legolas, (Greenleaf was not his surname. It was the English translation of his name Legolas. elves do not have surnames)
the man Boromir, son of Gondor's intendant,
the dwarf Gimli, son of Gloin (who went on the quest with Bilbo)
the wizard Gandalf the Grey aka Gandalf Stormcrow aka Gandalf Grayhame aka lots of other names.
the ranger Stryker aka Aragorn (Stryker was his ranger name),
and the 3 hobbits Merry (Meriadoc Brandybuck), Pippin (Peregrin Took) and Sam (Samwise Gamgee).
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Baskerville
crusader
crusader

Postby Baskerville » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 23:09

Rawhide wrote:6/6 It deserves a 6 and TTT and ROTK deserve 7/6

Good idea ! That's whay I've voted 6/6 as well :D

Otherwise what are your favourite scenes in this movie ? I see we have many votes already but no real feedback from this rererere-watching :roll:

Regarding the scenes, the first one I think about is the arrival of Gandalf in the Shire with beautiful pictures and the very simple but yet enjoyable music from Howard Shore which we can hear in the following video, a bit re-orchestrated for The Symphony of the Ring (this time without the Orchestra Conductor's heart attack like some of us sadly assisted in Lyon :tears: )

In Lyon we only heard that theme and it was already magic ! :)

But we'd later discovered that that if the ring's curse was fantasy, The Symphony of the Ring's curse was itself very real as the second French date, in Paris this time, would be cancelled ... and never again did we hear about any The Symphony of the Ring show in France :bawl:

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 23:25

I like it when Gandalf yells at Bilbo, "BILBO BAGGINS! Do not take me for some conjuror of cheap tricks! I am not trying to rob you. I'm trying to help you" and when he faces the Balrog, "You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!"
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 23:55

And I also love the "Fly ! You fools !" which follows :)

I've found the corresponding video on youtube which is totally forbidden if you haven't seen the movie yet nor read the book!

:spoilers: you have been warned... I mean it ! :spoilers:

The Balrog is also one other great success of the design and SFX. He is just awesome !!! :eek: :gj:

absinthe
ambassador
ambassador

Postby absinthe » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 10:55

For the beginning, I’m sorry for my bad English.

the ranger Stryker aka Aragorn (Stryker was his ranger name)

I believed it was Strider ?

Well I vote 5 because I’m honest and I don’t want to vote 7/6 for TTT, so I keep the 6 for episode 2.
I read books because I learnt that it was Peter Jackson who had to make the trilogy and I appreciate this director movie.
But the first book is boring, because they are many descriptions.
In that way, the first movie is like the first book, but fortunately, it’s beautiful and I don’t know why in the movie this part of history isn’t boring.

I haven’t a favourite sequence, but I remember having been afraid when the 5 Ringwraiths pursue the 4 hobbits (I hate bugs). I find only the end the sequence.

I love the sequence shot with the moth

There is a game : Find the children of Peter Jackson in every episode.
In The Fellowship of the Ring
they are the hobbit children are listening Gandalf tells a story while the birthday of Bilbo (They are credited as “Cute Hobbit Child”)

I saw many times The Fellowship of the Ring, but I discovered a new thing thanks to Blunt.
It’s a funny things, a mistake :
When Boromir died and Aragorn join him, an dead Orcs gets up (The actor had to believe that the sequence was finished).

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:46

Yeah I would have said "Strider" also for Aragorn's ranger name. But for me he'll always be "Grands Pas" :D

I see that in your two sequences we have answers to the former quizz about the movie. We should have rewatched them sooner :wink:

Still speaking about sequences, one I particularly love to is the one of the Elrond council ... revisited by Jack Black for the MTV Awards :D

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Fri 01 May, 2009 23:11

By 'eck!

I'd forgotten how good some of those scenes were! There aren't many films that can send a shiver down my spine, but there were two scenes in Fellowship that did just that. Not because they were scary, but because they resonated so closely with how I pictured them when I first read the books all those years ago.

The scenes? When Frodo stands up in Rivendell and says "I'll do it" and in Moria, on the flight to Khazad-dum, when the bridge is collapsing (just after the classic line "No-one tosses a dwarf!") and Aragorn coolly steps across from the toppling pillar.

As for the absence of Tom Bombadil? I have to say that while I enjoyed reading his sections of the books, I think the films were stronger for removing him. In the cold light of day, (IMHO) he was only introduced as a Deus Ex Machina because Tolkein couldn't think of a way of getting the hobbits out of the Barrow Downs (which were also omitted, Aragorn dealing out swords on Wethertop instead).

I never understood why TomBom, if he was powerful enough to sort out the barrow wights (not to mention his assistance in the Old Forest) never got drafted by Gandalf & Co, Inc. He'd have made short work of Saruman, meaning Fangorn and his ents could have chinned the Oliphaunts, and... oh, n/m.

PJ's version made more sense. Nuff said.

And his visuals matched the ones I've been carying around in my head for over 30 years, so I'm whatever the opposite of disapppointed is. :D
ImageImage

Return to “Oceania”