Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

LOTR: The Two Towers

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 24 Apr, 2009 01:39

I cannot resist to offer you some more music of the Lord of the Ring symphony right now so you continue the topic in the perfect state of mind ;)

On the second week of TLF's first DVD marathon around The Lord of the Rings trilogy, after The Fellowship of the Ring, here we arrive on the second movie: The Two Towers.

IMDB wrote: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
Director: Peter Jackson
Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy
TagLine: A New Power Is Rising.
Runtime: 179 min | 223 min (special extended edition)
Language: English | Sindarin | Old English
Color: Color
SoundMix: DTS-ES | Dolby Digital EX | SDDS

Usually you find three kind of readers when you are speaking about The Lord of the Rings:
  • Those who cannot read or have never heard of LOTR because they live far far away in a dark cave where they seat on a pile of crap and worship their "precious" and do not yet realize they are missing something of great importance
  • those who have tried to read if but couldn't pass the first book
  • those who have read all the books, often more than one time

Indeed, as absinthe reminded it in the topic dedicated to the first movie, the first book is tough and, let's say it, quite boring with all elements the reader is introduced to. Anyway Peter Jackson managed to make from it a great and absolutely non boring The Fellowship of the Ring. But like with the book, with The Two Towers does come the real stuff ! :chev:

From this point two stories take place in parallel. One hand Frodo and Sam finally get to encounter Gollum and are obliged to deal with him as he only is able to guide them to Mordor. On the other hand, the rest of the fellowship start the wars for Middle Earth against the armies of the two strongest towers of all : Orthanc and Barad-dûr of respectively Saruman and Sauron.

Indeed, evil armies are on the move from now and first of all they intend to deal with the kingdoms of men, attacking on two fronts. While Saruman's uruk-hais are sent to deal with the kingdom of Rohan, Sauron's first troops start harassing the kingdom of Gondor.

If Peter Jackson has made in his movies Boromir becoming a far more interesting character, adding him several layers (to quote the great philosopher Shrek); Saruman on the contrary is far less developed than in the books. In the book his motivations are a bit complex. He has foreseen the age of men coming and it is because he sees himself as their protector that he is driven to lust for the one ring. He wants to use it in order to defeat Sauron ! In the movies he seems to have easily changes in mind about joining Sauron's side and that brings some confusion in this movie as through the scenes showing Saruman using the Palantír we get the idea Sauron and he are coordinating their actions.

Saruman wrote:"The World is changing. Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard and Mordor? To stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman ... and the union of the two towers? Together, my Lord Sauron ... we shall rule this Middle-earth."

And this brings a bit of confusion as the action we see on screen are not at all coordinated, otherwise Sauron would have send troops in support to Helm Deeps for example. Or if the troops are really acting each on their side, one can really wonder what are Sauron's orcs doing in Rohan at the beginning of the movie (plus the fact they are out on daylight time)...

But that was only to criticise a bit .... cause in fact this movie is just awesome especially thanks to "evil" Saruman played by Christopher ( Image we're not worthy !!) Lee, and he is far to be the only one responsible for the success !! :gj:

The intensity, the tension grows all along the movie till the astonishing battle of Helm's deep !!

And if the battle scenes are just incredible and very well prepared... they are not the only things you remember of the movie. Cause one of its most amazing scenes doesn't involve armies, but only one character: Gollum. Well ok, he counts for two in his scene in which Smeagol retake the control lost to Gollum long time ago.

This scene is really amazing ! Andy Serkis and all the others who have made Gollum "real" really deserved their MTV Award :bounce:

Well, I've not said much finally about this incredible movie and it's getting very late so I'll cut even more jumping at once to the mark which cannot be else than 7/6 for me. Despite the very little remark written down before, this movie is amazing and I enjoy it as much each time I re-see it, as I did last Saturday during the "dvd marathon night" ;)

Now I rush to bed and invite you to add some more consistence to this topic launched just in time :D

JackSlater
champion
champion

Re: LOTR: The Two Towers

Postby JackSlater » Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:38

"Theoden king stands alone. " Not alone. Rohirrim! TO THE KING! "

7/6 isn't enough.

(no need to say why)

Return to “Oceania”