Quit Facebook Day, May 31, 2010

Software, hardware and technology in general
Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Quit Facebook Day, May 31, 2010

Postby Rawhide » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:07

I just heard about Quit Facebook Day, and in truth, I had been thinking of doing that very thing!! So, I'm joining in and will be cancelling my account (Rawhide Rex) on Facebook tomorrow.

QuitFacebookDay.com
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Quit Facebook Day, May 31, 2010

Postby Ehlyah » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:20

For those rejoining the joys of privacy like I did a while ago, make sure you delete and don't just deactivate.

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:22

For me, it's not about privacy. I rarely get on it, and when I do, it just annoys me.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:26

Pretty much any reason is a good one for me.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:27

I had already heard about it and I'm still thinking about it...

Anyway as time goes by I've started already to use Facebook a bit like LinkedIn, not giving much personnal thing in it, avoiding the applications while I used to be on several ones before and, last but not least, go regularly in my Privacy Settings to check them.

On one hand I'd like to leave as I agree totally on the fact that Facebook has shown no respect for its users and their privacy. On the other hand thanks to Facebook I've been in touch with friends I had lost many years ago (when not decades :P) and I like to be able to be in touch with them again :)

The interface is so easy than most people gets quickly confident there. I mean even my grand-mother is on Facebook !! Which is also the trap as I'm sure she or many Facebook users are not at all used to the Internet, its usages and its necessary precautions regarding possible intrusion dangers in your private life. And yes, Facebook's hypocrisy regarding the "default settings" is really annoying when you think about these "newbies".

More than my grand'ma, I'm more concerns about this lack of privacy when I see the younger ones I know posting things they will clearly regrets in several years if someone is making files about them :D

Anyway, I must say these days I do use Facebook a lot more as an advertisement tool for TLF (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Lost-Forum/8479482798 :D) than for my own use!

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:41

Considering the amount of drama I've seen when people posted private things on public walls and now Facebook launching it's almost scary Instant Personalisation, I'm just glad I got out when I did.
If people think it's useful, it's not up to me to stop them or tell them they shouldn't, but I think I'm still annoying a lot of people by, when they mention facebook, talking about why they shouldn't be on it. :D What bothers me the most is that even if your stuff is all protected, if one of your friends has things public, your info becomes public too.

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Sun 30 May, 2010 23:46

Actually, I guess it is in part about privacy. I used to keep in touch with friends I played online games with. Many of them have no idea who I am in person. Only a select few know the real me (Fire, Chevy, SnakeEyes, etc).But then my mother found out I was on Facebook, and I started getting friend invitations from her and all of her friends. I even got one from a woman that I hadn't seen in more than 15 years, but she had recently ran into my mother. Then my mother started posting personal messages on my wall for everyone to see (which I would delete). That's when I started thinking about cancelling Facebook; when my private life started spilling over into my public life.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Mon 31 May, 2010 01:02

If im honest I dont really mind, I dont have issues with Facebook. Ive seen a whole lot of people using the privacy arguement. The fact of the matter is you dont want people finding out that you joined an anti-abortion group? Dont join the group then. Dont want your boss finding out you hate them and wish they would die? Dont post a status about it. From the word go any Social Networking site was never private. You are posting something onto the internet, people can and will find it. Dont want those details being viewed by the world or anyone in particular? Dont post the damn thing in plain sight then.

My Profile consists of information about where I live, schools, likes/dislikes all things that I would probably tell anybody who bothered to ask. I go on Facebook to keep in touch with friends from High School that I dont get to see all that often, to organize when where and how Ill be playing Poker with the guys, to post/read/view about those drunken nights out that you cant quite remember... And if theres some stranger out there that I dont know whos day improves because he found out I went out last Friday or simply found out that maybe we went to the same school five years apart, well then great they dont seem to have much of a life...

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 17:44

I, as well, have no problem with facebook. I tend to 'clean up' regularly anyway. I check applications, remove/delete them and check privacy settings as well on a regular basis.

I delete messages as well every now and then. Depending on what they say, so far nothing bad, but eh.

That and I tend to... ahem... clean up friends as well. I tend to kick off people I have nothing in common with. Which reminds me to kick off some college people. xD

BUT I do have to admit I got back into contact with people I knew from primary school, so that's nice. Also someone I went to university with.
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 22:18

You might be interested by this entry made by Wil Wheaton in his blog, in reaction to a fake Wil Wheaton page on Facebook.

Return to “Computer Geeks”