Bye bye Project Natal! Welcome to Kinect!

Software, hardware and technology in general
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Bye bye Project Natal! Welcome to Kinect!

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:26

That is now more than a year that we are here following Microsoft's very exciting Project Natal (check HERE if you happened to live in a cave for the next months and need to catch up ;)).

A few hours ago, at E3, Microsoft unveils the new commercial game for Project Natal which then become Kinect. We also get to see the definitive design for the peripheral:

The conference was private and there was no streaming online as far as I know (and I woke up at 4AM for this !! :P) but for what I've caught online the important things are that in this event, Microsoft reveals partnerships with both Disney and ... Star Wars. Yes! even if what was shown in the event wasn't a game footage, a Kinect lightsaber game is most surely on schedule !!

Several explicitly titled games was also announced. They are Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, and Kinect Adventures. From what I've read on twitter, I suppose the first two were presented live with a baby tiger for the first and some taï-chi lesson for the second.

The event is supposed to be broadcast tomorrow on MTV and GameTrailers.com. I don't know at which time yet but will try to watch it even work schedule allows it :P

On this much earlier post, you'll find also two links for first leach pictures from E3.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Re: Bye bye Project Natal! Welcome to Kinect!

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 23:06

Click on the pic for seeing a bigger one

Some news today around Kinect as after several rumours the price is finally confirmed. It will be $149,99 for U.S., and thanks the weird change rules of Microsoft 149,99€ in Europe, 129,99£ in U.K. as I've just checked on amazon.co.uk. Indeed you can pre-order Kinect already from most of your favourite online stores.

You get to see up there a visual of the packaging for Kinect and its content, including Kinect Adventures!.

The games Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride are also available on pre-order for $49,99 in U.S. and ... wait for it ... 59,99€ !! :eek: ... and according to amazon.co.uk once again, it was supposed to be 49,99£ also but they are currently there on pre-order for 39,99£.

Below you see also the packaging for the offer including the new Xbox 360 in its 4Go flash memory version (to be released in standalone on at the end of August), Kinect and Kinect Adventures! for $299,99 (and 299,99€).

Click on the pic for seeing a bigger one

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:44

I wonder how much of a discount we'll get in the company store (if any). We don't generally get much of a discount on hardware. Software we usually get for 75% off.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:37

Games included ? :D

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:29

As long as they are from a MSFT game studio, yes.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 14:54

Last week, on August 5th Microsoft registered the United States Patent Application #20100199228 concerning "Gesture Keyboarding".

US Patent & Trademark Office wrote:
Abstract

Systems, methods and computer readable media are disclosed for gesture keyboarding. A user makes a gesture by either making a pose or moving in a pre-defined way that is captured by a depth camera. The depth information provided by the depth camera is parsed to determine at least that part of the user that is making the gesture. When parsed, the character or action signified by this gesture is identified.

[...]

[0089]As illustrated above in FIGS. 5A and 5B, in an embodiment, the input gesture may comprise a gesture in a sign language. In an embodiment, this sign language comprises American Sign Language (ASL). Where the language is ASL, the gesture may be a single letter or number, or a word or even a full expression or phrase, as is allowed by the language. ASL has the advantage of having a large number of people who are already facile in using it. To that end, a user who is facile in ASL will have an easy time inputting characters to a system that accepts ASL gestures as input.

(source)

From here it can easily be supposed that Kinect will be able to understand sign language which promises a lot for the future of gaming but also far beyond :)

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 16:39

Considering that each language has its own sign language, I wonder if they ALL will be implemented (in time)?
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 16:56

You're sure about that ? I thought there were on the contrary few sign languages and despite some few particularities people were able to communicate nearly worldwide easily.

Anyway if you're right, the fact they manage to interpret one language already let think they'll manage to handle other local ones.

Rawhide
prince
prince

Postby Rawhide » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 17:29

Yes, just like regular languages, sign language differs from culture to culture. I'm sure that there are similarities, but they were all each developed independently of one another.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:37

Rawhide, you might want to register yourself HERE.

Xbox MarketPlace US wrote:Xbox LIVE Event Registrations:
Xbox 360 Kinect Experience
Released: 8/10/2010

Downloading this gamer picture registers eligible gamers in the Kinect for Xbox 360 Experience sweepstakes. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open only to legal residents of the 50 United States or DC 18+. Sweepstakes closes at 11:59 PM PT on September 30, 2010. By downloading this item you are allowing Microsoft to contact you from time to time about this promotion. For full details, please see the Official Rules at http://www.xbox.com/LIVEkinectsweeps.

Sadly it doesn't work for France :bawl:

Return to “Computer Geeks”