Need travel advice for trip to UK

Welcome in visitors. This place is open to all who have something to say or look for informations.
Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Need travel advice for trip to UK

Postby Rawhide » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 20:47

I'm finally getting out of North America. I'll be making my first trip overseas in May 2013. I'll be attending the SQLBits conference in Nottingham, UK. I'll be traveling on business, not vacation, so I'm hoping to see some sights along the way. I was thinking that flying into Paris and then taking the train to London might be a nice way to see some sights en route. I'd rent a car in London and drive the rest of the way to Nottingham.

What do you think of this idea? Has anyone done that train ride, and is it worth the longer trip?
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Re: Need travel advice for trip to UK

Postby Rawhide » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 22:05

Spoon!
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Need travel advice for trip to UK

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 22:51

Heya !

I'm actually taking the Eurostar between Paris and London every week and it works pretty well. When you're leaving Paris for London, the 1 hour difference between the two countries makes your trip taking only 1h30 ! (and 3:30 for the way back, of course :P). Do not wait the last minute to take your ticket as their price is climbing quite fast in the last days. Taking them 2 or 3 weeks before, I have to pay around 210€ for the two tickets (forward and back), travelling in first class (including lunch/supper). When I've had to take them on last notice, I already had to pay till 500€ while being on 2nd class.

If you rent a car in London while coming by train, know that they are not all actually in the train station. Maybe it has changed now but last time I rented one from Hertz I was pretty annoyed to find myself looking for the Hertz both, two subway stations far from Saint-Pancras (the Eurostar train station in London).

I don't know yet if I'll still be working in London in May, but I intend to see you in Paris at least ! Both cities worth spending some time visiting.

Return to “The Lobby”