On my TV last night

Movies critics, rumors and other related topics.
DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

On my TV last night

Postby DigiNico » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:24

Ok I don't know if it's a good idea to create a new topic for each movie we eventually get to see on DVD, TV/Cable broadcast or the like, because being "oldies" (but goodies :haha: ), they may not generate that much comments or reactions.

Anyway if you just discovered or watched again an "old" movie and want to share your opinion with us, go ahead, this is YOUR topic. :D
you don't need to write a comprehensive review like Chevvie does on dedicated topics ( ;) ), just mention the title, a few comments and you're set. Hopefully this will help people discover or remember movies long forgotten since the buzz around them has ended.

And when I say "old movies", I don't necessarily mean old black&white movies from the thirties. It can be, but any movie released more than 2 years ago qualifies also. Just make sure you warn people about spoilers in your post, in case they have not seen the movie yet or it has not been released in their country.

Ok so me first :

Yesterday I was soooooooo bored and the national TV programs were so lame I decided to finally give my new EdTV DVD a shot (in french : En direct sur Ed TV).

Remember this movie by Ron Howard ? It tells the story of a network TV station that decides to live broadcast the life of your regular american joe. They cast several people and come up with Ed Pekurny (Matthew McConaughey), a nice and not so bright 31 years old guy, who earns his life as a clerk in a video store. As Ed's life is filmed and broadcasted 24 hous a day, he discovers fame and it's drawbacks : no privacy, histerical fans, scandals, you name it.

Man I love this movie. It's a good criticism of the "real TV" fashion that has hit the media all these years, depicting TV station managers as inhuman sharks who only care about audience ratings. It may be caricatural, but not that much I think. The movie also shows us how the fame affects people, quite accurately in my opinion.

I like this kind of "social comedy", analyzing the way mass-media work and how they govern our lives. Plus, you get good humoristic scenes, a slice of emotion and romance, and good acting and directing. Certainly not the movie of the year (it was released in 1999), but a good and kind of refreshing entertainment. What else could you ask for on a lonely, gloomy evening ?

5/6 (because of the deleted scenes which I discovered on the DVD; some of them are really good)
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 13:12

Good idea DigiNico ;)

Don't worry for the pic, I'll update it when I'll find some time (might not be tonight though ...).

Yesterday I've watched Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments.

I was zapping on the channels when I stop on this movie for "5 minutes". It was the begining and I was saying to myself "arrrgh ! The Ten Commandments again ..." and ... even if I'd seen it already numerous times, I've get caught and haven't moved till the end of this movie.

I'm still amazed by the quality of the movie and the work it must have asked at that time. Thanks to Blunt, I've ordered a special edition on dvd with some interresting stuff in it. I can't wait to receive it :)

This movie is a classic among the classics and do deserve a 6/6. :bounce:

Rottweiler
counselor
counselor

Postby Rottweiler » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 13:54

Two nights ago I saw "Coneheads" for the first time. And even though I can understand the fact that people found it sucked at the time of its release, I had a great time watching it.

First of all : the NAMES ! My Me, more than half the cast is the "creme de la creme" of the 90's US comedy = the Saturday Night Live

Since I'm a lazy S.o.B. I copied/pasted the cast from IMDB :D

Writing creditsTom Davis (SNL Writer) &
Dan Aykroyd
Bonnie Turner & Terry Turner (wrote for SNL, but also the two Wayne's World movies and moreover they are the creators of the great comedy series Third Rock from the Sun, which also tells the story of aliens trying to "blend in" on Earth)

Cast (in credits order)
Dan Aykroyd
Jane Curtin - Margret Albright in Third Rock...
Michael McKean - Gibby in Dream On, Morris Fletcher in the X Files, creator of This is Spinal Tap (in which he also plays the lead singer) and most recently seen as Perry White in Smallville. Great guy, love him.
Jason Alexander - George Costanza in Seinfeld :D
Sinbad - Who remembers him, by the way ?
Jan Hooks - Daughter of mrs Dubcek in 3rd Rock, also plays a horny middle-aged woman in this movie
Chris Farley - Died in 1997 and was quite famous from SNL. never found him too funny though...
Adam Sandler - :D
David Spade - Finch in Just Shoot me (a role model for redsamson, you have been warned)
Michael Richards - Kramer from Seinfeld. In the movie plays a motel clerk who appears for 30 seconds :haha:
Eddie Griffin - As a repair shop customer, ten years from Undercover Brother
Drew Carey - cameo as a taxi passenger
Parker Posey - destined to be an indie movie icon, and who will star in the third Blade movie.
Ellen DeGeneres
Tom Arnold - this guy is as funny as a visit to the proctologist, but I guess some people liked him at the time. Plus he was married to Roseanne, so I guess he payed his dues.
Jon Lovitz - The Critic, and also a famous redsamson impersonator :D

As you can see, this is a SNL flick, as much as the Blues Brothers or Wayne's World movies, to name the most famous.

It tells the story of two aliens who crash on Earth after having been shot down by the US Air Force (which figures, since the other countries in the world have neither radars nor an Air Force...). The ship crashes and the Alien get a room in a motel for the night. Even though their head is shaped like a cone, it doesn't bother the "earthlings" much. After learning that a ship will come and pick them up in seven "Zblecks", Beldar (Aykroyd) and his mate (Curtin) have no other option but to wait and adapt to life on earth. After a few years, the Conehead family (they had a daughter, Connie, in the meantime) has settled in and are well-liked by their neighbours and friends. To explain their conical head and some of their strange habits (they eat almost everything), they just tell to those who ask that they're french, which seems to convince most people ! :D
But this quiet life is soon to be jeopardized by a US Immigration Service
investigation, plus the imminent arrival of the ship which will take them home.

All in all, Coneheds is quite mediocre, you gotta be honest about it. Some gags are not very funny (the use of condoms as chewing-gum, the visit to the dentist...) but more than anything it is a first try at what would become "3rd Rock from the Sun" (from what I gathered, Coneheads on TV was at first an animated segment form SNL before being a live series of sketches, just like the Blues Brothers and Wayne's World). I'm at work so I don't have much more time to talk about this film, so : If you like 3rd Rock from the Sun, watch Coneheads. There's a fair amount of chance that you will enjoy it as I did. ;)

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 14:40

Rottweiler wrote:To explain their conical head and some of their strange habits (they eat almost everything), they just tell to those who ask that they're french, which seems to convince most people ! :D

Image Image Image

This is sooo stupid. Everybody knows that french people wear a beret and slippers, sport a moustache and smell funny. They're unmistakable.

I also saw this movie yesterday (yes, I had quite a over-productive day :D ) :

You should have recognized the poster of the 2003 version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, by Marcus Nispel. It's not the original version of 1974 by Tobe Hoper. This is your typical horror movie : a bunch of teenage people lost in the middle of nowhere, a gang of bloodthirsty psychos hunting them, tight clothes, a few gore scenes, tense music and there you go.

All in all the movie was good. Slick pictures, average acting, good bloody sfx, nice bimbos... :mrgreen: Nothing unforgettable but good. 4/6.

By the way for you horror movie specia|ists : how do you compare this movie with the originial version of Hoper (I've never seen it) ? Better ? Worse ? And how much ?

Edit : For the Lord's sake, can you remove that stupid filter on the word "S.P.E.C.I.A.L" ?

Blog Tumblr

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 15:43

I can't stand the original one which manages to give me a hudge and painfull headache thanks to the longest scream ever heard in a movie. God I would cut her myself to stop that unstandable neverending noise.

This has prevent me to go and see the new one. :P

xdeathknightx
earl
earl

Postby xdeathknightx » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 16:31

first one was way better it created a tense atmosphere without too much gore/violence. And thought a movie had to be 2 years or older ;)

and diginico you forget the bottle of wine under one arm and a baquette under the other :D

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 16:35

xdeathknightx wrote:first one was way better it created a tense atmosphere without too much gore/violence. And thought a movie had to be 2 years or older ;)

Yeah well, never mind the "two years old" criterion. Let's say "Movies that are not in theaters anymore".

xdeathknightx wrote:and diginico you forget the bottle of wine under one arm and a baquette under the other :D

True, true. And a Gauloise cigarette at the corner of the mouth. :mrgreen:

Blog Tumblr

xdeathknightx
earl
earl

Postby xdeathknightx » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 16:40

and the men have an unshaven face and the women all have hairy armpits let's not forget that :D

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Tue 13 Apr, 2004 16:55

xdeathknightx wrote:and the men have an unshaven face and the women all have hairy armpits let's not forget that :D

Eh ? No, no, no, no, no !!!! These are portuguese people.

French girls are good-looking, well dressed (with short skirts), with a pointy little nose and are always singing.

French men do shave their beard. They just let their big caracteristic moustache which hides their lubric grin.

But enough of zoology here. Let's talk about movies.

Blog Tumblr

redsamson
page
page

Postby redsamson » Wed 14 Apr, 2004 13:48

chinese people are small and lethel.
god, i just LOVE them so much.
it's almost painful.
guten nacht, as they say in china.
BASE ECHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Return to “The Lost Forum's Movie Theater”