On my TV last night

Movies critics, rumors and other related topics.
Jernej_WU
spadassin
spadassin

Postby Jernej_WU » Wed 14 Apr, 2004 18:56

How many of you watched Identity ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698/

i must say its a pretty good movie, didnt quite know what the heck the movie is about when i started watching it, actually never heard of it before.

Starts nice and keept me confused for quite some time, until it revealed what it is about form then on it was giving impression of unfolding but the end was quite shocking :) and unexpected, altough i can say it was clear for quite some time, who could have done it, now that i seen it all.

we also watched Wrong Turn another "teens love to die these days" movie, but pretty nice horror movie for someone who isnt too demanding like me :D
some nice artistic kills, but not that i see that many movies of this genre :p

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Wed 14 Apr, 2004 21:42

Yeah, I saw Identity. I found it pretty good. Not that surprising (specia||y the end) but nicely crafted.

About Wrong turn, I don't know. Still have to watch it. Could do it this week.
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:15

Greetings hearthlings

On my TV last night there was this movie : Coyote Ugly (in french Coyote Girls -- the translation of movie titles in France has always amazed me... :roll: ).

This movie by David McNally (who is he, anyway ?) is your typical sentimental movie where a young lady is cast into hostile environment, namely New York City, where she strives to fulfill her goal in life : becoming a song-writer. As things turn not to be so quick and easy as she expected, she ends up working as a barmaid in the "Coyote Ugly", a hot spot of NY nightlife ran by a bunch of beautifull women who tease the patrons and drive them crazy while dancing on the bar, improvising wet tee-shirts contests and so on.

Of course, the movie is not as explicit and sexy as it could have been, the story is mainly about the main caracter's quest for fame and accomplishment. Even the bar scenes are not so hot, the teasing dances performed by the ladies remaining strictly in the boundaries of good taste and morals. Nothing too offensive or crude. I'm surprised that the film has been rated PG13 in the US.

The script is very predictable and lame, with your classic phases in that kind of movies. Wild hopes, disappointments, first unsuccessful try, despair, unexpected allies, second try, and ultimately, success. Yawn, yawn.
The only interest of the movie would be the good looks of the actors, mainly young ladies in their mid-twenties, acting wild and provocative. But even this aspect is spoiled. The hot scenes are not so hot, and the cast end up being a bunch of pretty faces, quickly admired and quickly forgotten.
What will remain the longuest in minds is maybe the soundtrack, full of pop songs and the hit by LeAnn Rimes 'Cant fight the moonlight'. But even that is a matter of taste and won't be remembered in a few centuries .

All in all, a movie not worth the DVD buying, unless you're hopelessly romantic or LeAnn Rimes biggest fan.

2/6

Blog Tumblr

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:45

Am I the only one interested in such a topic ? Or am I the only one to watch "old" movies ? You guys only stick to the newest and hottest stuff ?

Yesterday I watched this :

My gawd what a movie !

In fact last sunday I was toying with my new mp3 player, wondering what music I could download in it for this week. While skimming my CD collection, I stumbled on the CD of the film soundtrack by Basil Poledouris. Immediately I ripped it and sent it to the player. Oh my. I never could get tired of this masterpiece. Such lyrism, such raw power in this music... After 3 days of listening to it, I couldn't wait to watch the movie again. Which I did yesterday.

Damn, this movie is good. Ok, Schwarzie acts like an @$$, the story is very simple, the SFX ridiculously outdated, but man you feel the wind of adventure and wild times blow in your living room !

I never realized before how few spoken words there are in the script, leaving all the room for the soundtrack and specia||y the music, which is incredibily well crafted and taylored for the movie.

This one is sooo well worth having in DVD format. There are some movies whose DVD you buy, watch once and then forget on your rack, but not this one. Conan is ment to be on DVD on this perfect edition, so that it can be watched again and again in it's pure original beauty.

Let me tell you the days of high adventure !!

Blog Tumblr

Rottweiler
counselor
counselor

Postby Rottweiler » Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:58

I couldn't agree more with you on this one Digi.

Conan is the movie through which I discovered Heroic-fantasy and roleplaying. Raw, brute and bloody, but also incredibly lyrical, beautiful and a real statement for physical and intellectual freedom (my favorite theme is "Theology", heard when Conan and Subotai run through the wilderness).

Damn, now and I want to watch it again :D

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:10

There are not only topics dedicated to new stuff Digi, I had done one on The Rocky Horror Picture Show long time ago ;)

And would like to see some great movies like this one having their own topic :)

And ... I have the dvd and I'm a fan of it too as you might have guessed ;)

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:11

Rottweiler wrote:Damn, now and I want to watch it again :D

Phew ! That was the main idea behind this thread. Nice to see it works, at last... :D

Blog Tumblr

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 18 Jul, 2004 23:29

Seen tonight thanks to now who has lend me the dvd: Tsui Hark's The Chinese Feast

I've found it very entertaining and liked a lot the cooking scene, kung fu style :D

I've spent a good time watching it and had good laughs :)

voilà !

;)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 18 Jan, 2005 23:07

I've just seen on TV Heartbreakers co-starring Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Love Hewitt with non the less than Gene Hackman, Ray Liotta, Jason Lee, ...

It's not a must see, far from that but I must admit I've spent a nice moment in front of that romantic comedy, especially when it goes totally crazy like when Ray Liotta, going for sail, take a revolver out and shot the water when he says he's seen some fishes :lol:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 07 Jun, 2006 17:21

I've deleted this review for the remake of The Omen
bob d wrote:Last night I watched The Omen. Yes on 6.6.06. It was a pretty good movie but I want to know what you think.

Sorry to have deleted it but I'm gonna change the policy here so just members of the staff here can start new topics as I'd like the startings to be a little bit more tough :roll:

And this old topic from DigiNico is the perfect place to discuss of movies for which we don't want to start a topic ;)

Now to speak about this remake of The Omen, well... I'm a fan of the original and if I've not seen the movie I must say the trailer has made me worry.

I find it like "The Omen For Dummies" as in the trailer you already have tons of explanations where the original let you feel the events comming darker instead of explaning them all to you ... In the second case you loose efficiency imho ...

But then ... I have to see the movie first before criticizing it ;)

Return to “The Lost Forum's Movie Theater”