Favourite movie sequences...

Movies critics, rumors and other related topics.
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Favourite movie sequences...

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 00:45

Let's use the fact we now have tons of video we can use on the web to start a new topic about our favourite movie sequences.

In order to have time to enjoy each of them, let's keep to one sequence per day for each user (and I insanely hope we'll have enough people around to avoid two following posts from the same user :roll: ).

Try to find on youtube, dailymotion, and so on, an opening sequence from any kind of movies, you particularly like and explain quickly the reasons why it is so. If you don't manage to post the video properly here, post the link to the page and I or a mod will edit your post.

I starts this topic with the amazing opening sequence of John Woo's 1989 The Killer.

I personally love this sequence as these are in fact the very first minutes I saw from John Woo. When I saw this movie I was actually looking for a movie in English, in order to practice my English for an exam to take place the day after. In France the movie had kept its international title "The Killer" which sounded English so I went in ... Quickly I realized either my English was really bad, either they weren't speaking English :D

Quickly it didn't matter anyway as the first 5 minutes caught me for a long ride which would make me discover many jewels from Hong-Kong, that movie included.

In this first minutes you get every informations about Chow Yun Fat's character, from its job to its sense of loyalty and its not so cold heart.

Now we are quite used to kick-ass action sequences but in 1989 this opening really rocked and I still find it very efficient today :)

Don't forget there is a topic about this movie in The Theater by the way, here ;)

JackSlater
champion
champion

Re: Favourite movie sequences...

Postby JackSlater » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 19:02

I start with the funniest movie sequence I have ever seen : the turbo lax sequence in Dumb and Dumber.The first comedy where there is absoluty no evolution in the caracter's life. The only purpose of the movie is to let us decide who is dumb and who is dumber.
I laughed so hard the first time I saw this sequence that I was forced to stop the movie, I had a bit of asthma too.

Liewen
champion
champion
Xbox Live ID: Liewen
Wii code: 7822003881806675
raptr ID: Liewen

Postby Liewen » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:31

The first sequence that came up to my mind when I discovered this topic (well, when Chevalier Bayard forced me to discover the topic :roll:) was the first encounter between Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester in Zeffirelli's 1996 Jane Eyre. It is faithful to the book (at least, compared with all the other Jane Eyre I've watched so far), and the actors are really good in this sequence ; I just love Charlotte Gainsbourg when she plays that character, and if William Hurt's acting as Rochester can be by moments slightly tedious, he is just PERFECT in this scene.

It begins at 2.00

As a bonus track, you have the same scene from the 1983 BBC adaptation (the Timothy Dalton/Zelah Clarke one) and the 2006 one (with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens). Both of them are quite good, apart from this scene.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:49

Haha I love Dumb & Dumber as well, with a preference though for the hot sauce sequence :D

Regarding the Jane Eyre scenes I do prefer the 2006 version to the one with Charlotte Gainsbourg but I'm not at all able to say which one is the most faithful to the book. It's always nice to see several versions of the very same scene :)

Great we already have so very different entries. Cheers ! :gj:

I continue for my part with HK cinema, this time with Johnnie To and his amazing Breaking News opening sequence. Made with one long shot, it is incredibly well choreographed and efficient to get the audience in the action at once :eek:

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 17:59

the fist sequence of Last Action Hero. Just no comment. :D
the best opening sequence with Speed Racer.

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 21:15

Today it's the car chase from Matrix Reloaded.

I really really love the Wachowski brothers. To me they are the best directors. But there is a lot of people who hates them because of the under rated matrix sequels. When I ask why, they say to me it's because of the cheap philosophy and because there is too much SFX.
But there is at least a doctor of philosophy who really loves it and sees a hard philosophic message.
And for the SFX, they have to see the car chase sequence : one kilometre of road was build and a lot of stunts were used for....

...really one of the best action sequences ever made.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 21:44

This scene is indeed impressive and, dang !, your youtube video is too short and it gives strongly the desire to rush on the dvd !! :D

It makes me think about another scene which is always moving me a lot: the famous Charge of the Rohirrim during the battle on the Pelennor fields, in The Return of the King

The first time I saw the movie, Theoden's speech really moved me enough so I wanted to scream as well in the movie theater and charge whatever nasty things standing against them ! :D

This is the very first scene I've watched when I got the dvd and came back home very very late. And I surprised myself to watch all the movie from that point !! :eek:

Same thing happen when I tested a new TV. It's really hard when you see this scene to not let yourself sit down and watch the whole movie. I hardly resist tonight as we're about to see The Fellowhip of the Ring for the beginning of DVD Marathon #1 :D

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!
Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending!
Death ! Death ! DEATH!
Forth, Eorlingas!

:chev:

Liewen
champion
champion
Xbox Live ID: Liewen
Wii code: 7822003881806675
raptr ID: Liewen

Postby Liewen » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:04

Another of my all-time favourite movie sequence is the long single shot at Bexhill, at the end of Children of Men. The film as a whole is amazing, and this scene is just :eek: :eek: :eek: waw.

part 1

part 2

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 20:01

The end sequence of The Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 20:20

Very nice SF scenes you both have chosen and very efficient for sure :gj:

I'll go in another genre today with this short scene from Caro & Jeunet's Delicatessen in which, more than usual, the butcher "gives rhythm" to his neighbours' life :D

EDIT => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJU4IwC3LjQ

Return to “The Lost Forum's Movie Theater”