Favourite movie sequences...

Movies critics, rumors and other related topics.
JackSlater
champion
champion

Re: Favourite movie sequences...

Postby JackSlater » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 19:10

We have a good hint of what the Rohirrim charge will be on screen with this sequence, at the end of The Two Towers. I always have tears incoming when I live this. Because you cannot see the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you have to live it.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 20:33

In a very few days we'll watch it again with the marathon :D

Today I go for something a little bit different with a scene from one of my most favourite movies: Milos Forman's Amadeus.

This video is a bit recut but you get the most important par of it: the first public humiliation of Salieri in front of the Emperor with a Mozart doing nothing else than being an exhuberant music genius and rewriting "live" the whole partition composed by Salieri, not forgetting to underline its defaults, and indeed making it sound a lot better. Poor poor Salieri ...

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 20:51

Today, I want to speak about Darkman from Sam Raimi. This movie is unique. Indeed it's the first movie to be really comic books, it's really and example. Sam Raimi understand the meaning of the word adaptation and he did a perfect mix between the movie grammar and the comics book grammar.
I can't show you the whole movie (but you all have seen it already) so I show the sequence when he lose his temper in the circus. Unfortunately, i couldn't find the full sequence so I can only show you this. A masterwork.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 21:36

As the second movie of the serie has just arrived on French screens yesterday, today I post a sequence taken from OSS117: Le Caire Nid D'espions (Cairo: Nest of Spies), starring Jean Dujardin in the unbearable French secret agent OSS117. While 007 is so British, OSS117 is so French :D

The movie take place in the 50s and the character of OSS117 suffers from every defaults we can think about from a Frenchman at this time: a very arrogant and triumphant colonialist with the diplomatic skills of a caterpillar tractor :D

This scene is a great example of what I meant ! :lol:

In order for the non French speaking ones to understand better: here is the transcription in French and my translation in English (hope it's ok) :)

- MAIS IL VA LA FERMER SA GUEULE ?!
- IS HE EVER GOING TO SHUT UP ?!

(walking to the tower)

- Tout se tintouin ça commence vraiment à me faire suer. Ils vont parler du pays...
- All this fuss is really starting to get on my nerves. They will speak of the country ...

(from the speakers)

- Excusez-moi ! Excusez-moi ! EXCUSEZ-MOI ! HO ? Vous m'entendez ou pas ? S'il vous plaît ! C'est pas possible ! Le micro là c'est vraiment pas possible ! Donnez moi ce micro ! Ne faîtes pas l'enfant ! C'est ridicule ! DONNEZ MOI CE MICRO MAINTENANT !
- Excuse me! Excuse me! EXCUSE ME ! HEY ? Do you hear me or not? Please ! This is not possible ! The microphone really is not possible! Give me that microphone ! Don't be a child! This is ridiculous ! GIVE ME THIS MICROPHONE NOW!

(at morning in the room)

- Bonjour !
- Hello!

- Ah ! Bonjour Larmina !
- Oh! Hello Larmina !

- Bien dormi ?
- Sleep tight ?

- Oui très bien merci ! J'ai fait un rêve merveilleux. J'ai rêvé qu'une femme sublime aux yeux marrons m'apportait mon petit déjeuner au lit.
- Yes thank you very much! I had a wonderful dream. I dreamed that a woman with beautiful brown eyes brought me my breakfast in bed.

- Vous dîtes ça à toutes les femmes...
- You say that to all women ...

- Non ! Seulement aux femmes sublimes aux yeux marrons qui m'apportent mon petit déjeuner au lit
- I don't ! Only to women with beautiful brown eyes who bring me my breakfast in bed .

(giggles)

- Besmella

- J'aime me beurrer la biscotte ... Ah dîtes-moi Larmina ! Cette nuit j'ai été réveillé par des cris horribles. Un homme hurlait à la mort de la tour là-bas. Impossible de dormir. J'ai été obligé de le faire taire...
- I like buttering my biscuit ... Ah tell me Larmina! That night I was awakened by horrific screams. A man shouted to death from the tower there. Impossible to sleep. I was forced to silence him ...

- Le muezin ? Vous avez fait taire le muezin ?
- The muezin? You have silenced the muezin?

- Le ?
- The ?

- Muezin ! Le prêtre qui appelle les fidèles à la prière du matin.
- Muezin! The priest who calls the faithful ones to morning prayer.

- Ah ... j'ignorais. C'était donc ça tout ce tintouin, les cris, le micro.. D'accord...mmm... On ne m'enlévera pas de l'idée que c'est une curieuse religion. A mon avis vous allez vite vous en lasser. Je ne lui prédis pas un grand avenir.
- Ah ... I did not know. So this was all the fuss, cries, micro .. Okay ... mmm ... I won't chnage my mind about the idea this is a strange religion. I think you'll quickly get tired of it. I don't predict it a great future.

- Ah ! Dîtes-moi Larmina mon petit. Ça vous embêterait de me déposer à la SCEP ? Histoire de fouiner un peu ...
- Ah! Tell me my little Larmina. Would you mind leaving ma at the SCEP ? Just so I can nose around ...

absinthe
ambassador
ambassador

Postby absinthe » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 22:36

Liewen wrote:Another of my all-time favourite movie sequence is the long single shot at Bexhill, at the end of Children of Men. The film as a whole is amazing, and this scene is just :eek: :eek: :eek: waw.

I totally agree with you. A very intense and emotional sequence. In another genre (happiness), my favorite Miyazaki because of this extraordinary sequence: My Neighbour Totoro.

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 22:01

The introduction of Geoffrey Chaucer in:

William: Oi sir, what are you doing?
Chaucer: Uh... trudging. You know, trudging?
[pause]
Chaucer: To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on.
William: Uhhh... were you robbed?
Chaucer: [laughs] Funny really, yes, but at the same time a huge resounding no. It's more of an... involuntary vow of poverty... really.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 23:36

A Knight's Tale was indeed a very very good surprise. I watched it on dvd by curiosity but didn't expect much from it... and suddenly went mad I hadn't been watching it at cinema !! :P

My scene today come from a classic above the classics: Star Wars IV: A New Hope.

This is the famous very short scene in which Luke stares at Tatooine binary sunset. This is also when we get to hear John Williams' theme for the Force for the very first time. A very strong scene which still move my heart while I must have scene this scene a hundred times, or most certainly more, already !

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:38

The Thing

that's what I call suspense !

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:20

I follow absinthe in the japanimation genre with this opening sequence from the astonishing Mamoru Oshii's master-piece (for now): Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence

I really love the music by Kenji Kawai and, the images are amazing technically but also in the poetic way they illustrate the making of an android.

Clearly one of the very very best opening/credits sequences I have ever seen ! :gj:

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sat 09 May, 2009 19:19

The best bank robbery of the world.

Return to “The Lost Forum's Movie Theater”