Mass Effect movie

Movies critics, rumors and other related topics.
Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Mass Effect movie

Postby Skaila » Tue 25 May, 2010 18:01

My worst nightmare just came true :P

I am very pleased this morning to announce that there will be a Mass Effect movie made by the fine folks at Legenday Pictures! I know there has been a lot of speculation amongst our fans ever since Mass Effect 1 came out as to whether or not there would be a movie, who should star in it, who would direct, would there be a Wrex sized bucket of popcorn, etc and I can now reveal that, yes, there will be a movie (popcorn deal is still unconfirmed.

Legendary Pictures, the studio behind great films such as The Dark Knight, Watchmen, The Hangover and 300 have picked up the rights to make Mass Effect. Legendary Pictures will produce with Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni along with Avi Arad (who has been behind great films like Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man). From BioWare Ray Muzyka, Greg Zeschuck and Casey Hudson will serve as executive producers.

"At BioWare, we’ve always thought of Mass Effect as having the depth, emotion and plot twists perfectly suited for an adaptation to a motion picture,” said Casey Hudson, executive producer of the Mass Effect series. “With Avi Arad and Legendary attached, we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.”

I am super psyched for this and look forward to seeing the Mass Effect movie take shape.

Is it too early to buy tickets?

Chris Priestly

Mass Effect is all based on choices. If they are going to make a Shepard-based movie following the plot of Mass Effect (going for a trilogy?), then they are canonizing the entire story. That's a problem.

Considering the two games we have so far:
  • First name
  • Shepard's gender
  • Background story
  • Psychological profile
  • Biotic or not?
  • Love interest (ME1)
  • Love interest (ME2)
  • Side quests: Wrex's armour, Garrus's mission, ...
  • Virmire choice
  • End choice (ME1)
  • End choice (ME2)
  • Suicide mission (ME2)
  • Recruits (ME2)

HOWEVER, if they plan on making a movie BASED on the ME universe, I'm all for it. Heck they have plenty of opportunities to implement that:

First Contact War
Rachni Wars
Geth War (Quarrians etc)

What do you think? >.>
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Mass Effect movie

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 25 May, 2010 18:53

I'm quite sure "based on" won't be enough for them and therefore not so excited about the movie yet as well ...

Just if you look at the comics, some choice are made already. I mean it fits all better if Shepard as been flirting with Liara...

On the other hand, seeing the Citadel or some space battle scenes on the huge screen might be nice ;)

Real question being: will we have the same cast as the game ?? :bounce:

Skaila
elite
elite

Postby Skaila » Tue 25 May, 2010 20:05

Well, i'd LOVE to see the Citadel. AND the story does indeed fit more with a Shepard/Liara story line.

BUT the story is ultimately the player's. My Shepard is female, Paragorn Soldier (no biotics). She's a spacer and War Hero. That's MY Shepard, but to someone else it might be a renegade who was a sole survivor and earth-born.

My main concern is just Shepard. I want a female Shep :(
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 25 May, 2010 23:06

GameInformer suggests an interesting cast => HERE, well ... except that I don't see the point to have another Illusive Man than kick-ass Martin Sheen !! ;)

But I will never complain about seeing too much Yvonne Strahovski on the screen ! :terrorite:

Skaila
elite
elite

Postby Skaila » Wed 26 May, 2010 00:02

Jane AND John Shepard?

I can't complain about their choices though.

Still... I dislike the fact that they're turning it into a canon story. It basically means "You can play the game, act out your own story, make all these BIG decisions, but in the end it won't matter."

The one thing I cannot live with is the fact that MY Shepard will be canonically male. My Shepard is female dammit. They even went through the trouble of leaving Shepard's gender out of the comics, so why would they do this here then?
ImageImage

Kowandz
local
local
Xbox Live ID: kowandz420

Postby Kowandz » Thu 27 May, 2010 21:47

I'll be really interested to see where they go with the movie idea, but I can't say I'm expecting much out of the movie. I'll probably wait until after others see it, and have reviewed it as not total trash. Hollywood doesn't have a good record of making movies based on video games. (see Super Mario Brothers, or Tomb Raider for examples)

Darre
roaming
roaming

Postby Darre » Tue 16 May, 2017 06:00

It sucks that this movie was never made.

jessica093
roaming
roaming

Postby jessica093 » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 09:27

I think it is just in time.

EfrainCal
roaming
roaming

Postby EfrainCal » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 15:20

I figure we'll have a Mass Effect movie/tv show sooner or later. Just like the comic book movies exploaded in the last decade, I feel like a similar thing will happen with video game movies sooner or later.

Return to “The Lost Forum's Movie Theater”