Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 00:00

I've not seen it yet. Just listened to the new opening thanks to the YouTube link you gave earlier. I like this new theme which sound a bit like the older one. Weirder than the former we had.

It won't be long before I see this new episode and I'll come back here quick. :wink:

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:07

I agree, it does seem a little like the older ones ... but I don't like electronic music very much, so the orchestral version worked perfectly for me ! Ah, well, I'll have to get used to it ...

On the other hand, I loved the music during the episode ! Murray Gold manages to materialize the changes while keeping the spirit of Doctor Who ! 8-)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 17:43

The Doctor wrote:"I am a mad man with a box !!"

Loved it !! :D

This first episode indeed was awesome and Matt Smith did a great job. Even if it's very hard to play The Doctor after David Tennant, I do feel a lot more confident already about the character he'll be able to build in the future :)

And yeah the new companion is ... hot, especially as a copper :terrorite:

For the wedding, I think she was about to marry the nurse guy who introduced himself as her boyfriend while he obviously couldn't compete against the man she had fantasized about for years (I loved the dolls in her room, especially the four ones of her, The Doctor and which should be seen as their two children :D).

Could she be Riversong ? and as you think you've seen her (Riversong) too in the trailer concluding the episode ?

Can't wait for next week !! :bounce:

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 18:21

Glad you liked it !

Yes, it is definitely River Song, I have seen her twice ! I agree with you on the identity of the groom and I hope they will find a new angle rather than the classic love triangle like the one with Rose, Mickey and the Doctor !

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 21:40

I've seen it yesterday but without subtitles ( can't wait !!! )
So it is brilliant even if I don't understand everything, Matt Smith is good and not so "ugly" as I thought in the end of time

But for the next doctor, please engage an older guy and for the doctor's companion too, it is almost " the son of the doctor" now

The trailer at the end wouhouuuuuuuuuuuh !!!!

Allons-y !!!!

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:58

So, have you seen the second episode ?

Personally, I loved it, though not as much as the first one !

The setting was great (very Dark City ! 8-) ) and I loved the relationship between the Doctor and Amy ! There were some very nice ideas (the "forget or protest buttons" as a metaphor for our democracies ! :D ) and some nice references to Star Wars. The idea of a space whale/living ship (or engine here !) is not particularly original but was well done and moving.
Still, there were some plot holes, and the smilers were not really that useful.

So, to conclude, a nice episode ! You need to let yourself get into the story without overanalysing it (Moffat wanted a "fairy tale" atmosphere and there are many nodes to Peter Pan here), you should enjoy it ! 8-)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:03

I haven't found time yet to watch it. Hopefully I'm off tomorrow, well almost, anyway I'll have enough free time to finally watch it !! :terrorite:

EDIT: finally saw it today and I'm agreeing with your little review. I'd just add one thing; the fact I've already taken for granted that Matt Smith was The Doctor. I realized afterward that watching this episode not once I thought about David Tennant in term of comparison in the role. I'm really surprised how quickly Matt Smith has managed to take the role in my head while I had add a bit more difficulties with David Tennant replacing Christopher Eccleston at the time.

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 21:06

So, how did you like this first episode
with the Daleks ? I thought it was ok, entertaining, but it had some rythme problems ! That's a shame because the atmosphere of WW2 was really well recreated ! The plot was alright, but yet again, not exceptionnal ! Plus I am getting fed up with the Daleks ! But, I suppose, they are iconic, so they have to keep them coming back ! The new Daleks looked like Power Rangers ! :lol:
Still, I had fun and there were some really interesting elements in the episode : I was intrigued by Amy lack of memory of the Daleks ! I'm wondering if it's just her or the entire Earth population forgetting things because of these cracks in time and space ! It may well be the beginning of a reboot about Humanity's knowledge of aliens ! I have mixed feelings about that : I liked the fact that humans knew and reacted logically to aliens' presence ! On the other hand, at least it is a plot point and not
handwaved ! We shall see ... :bounce: I am also wondering if Amy is not directly or indirectly responsible for the cracks : they keep appearing very close to her ! This plus the fact she has forgotten things ... I'm intrigued ! Otherwise, I liked Churchill's actor and the setting of the war room was really well done !

I have adopted Matt Smith as the Doctor in my mind, he is really good (though not as sexy as David Tennant ! :wink: ) ! I liked the bit with the scones ! :D
Amy continues to be really good and clever : I really like her as a companion ! :)

To conclude, a nice episode but nothing more !

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 21:21

Yeah I like Amy too (since I've seen her as a sexy copper :eek: ) but I haven't found her very charismatic on this last episode.

I agree with you regarding the episode, the very nice work of reconstitution and ... the power rangers :D Well, I guess that's more toys to sell :roll:

And the trailer for next episode really got me impatient !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sybil
tower guard
tower guard

Postby Sybil » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 17:51

I've just watched the third episode, well in fact
I love Daleks, so I'm always happy to see them and to discover the new way they come back ! But their new colors are quite special...
Ans also, I like episodes where people don't trust the Doctor straight away (as it was in Midnight), it makes him looking nearly human...

I'm glad to see that Matt Smith gives a really interesting new personnality to the Doctor, more doubtful, more violent too
I can't imagine Ten hitting a Dalek so desperately.

But I I have to admit that I was so in Love with David Tennant that I can't totally forget him :blush:
And I think Amy will often have to reassure him... And to make him understand that human beings are not so bad and that Earth is worth to save ! (Well, I hope...)

Can't wait to watch the next episode :)

Return to “Serial Addicts”