Since the Gavan Space Sheriff of my childhood hadn't really followed any of these, exception made for the Cutie Honey and Casshern movies (even if it's hard to keep the second one on the simple "Metal Heroes" genre).
Thanks to a cosplayer, friend of many Cinemadnauts here, I've discovered yesterday the Kamen Riders universe. In fact if they are (yet) not much known outside Japan, there the Kamen Riders are an equivalent to the X-Men or JLA. For about 40 years, they have been an important part of Japanese fantastic universe.
Since 1971 on Japanese TV we've had:
- 1971-1973 Kamen Rider
- 1973-1974 Kamen Rider V3
- 1974 Kamen Rider X
- 1974-1975 Kamen Rider Amazon
- 1975 Kamen Rider Stronger
- 1979-1980 Kamen Rider (Skyrider)
- 1980-1981 Kamen Rider Super-1
- 1987-1988 Kamen Rider Black
- 1988-1989 Kamen Rider Black RX
- 2000-2001 Kamen Rider Kuuga
- 2001-2002 Kamen Rider Agito
- 2002-2003 Kamen Rider Ryuki
- 2003-2004 Kamen Rider 555
- 2004-2005 Kamen Rider Blade
- 2005-2006 Kamen Rider Hibiki
- 2006-2007 Kamen Rider Kabuto
- 2007-2008 Kamen Rider Den-O
- 2008-2009 Kamen Rider Kiva
- 2009-2010 Kamen Rider Decade
Imressive ain't it ? Amazing that we don't hear much about it in the rest of the world.
Each year the Kamen Riders design are a bit modified. BandaÃ¯ being the main producer, it's easy to guess the motivations behind that. Anyway the story is now a bit more complex than what we could thought. We are not on the register one episode=on story but really on a long term running show with characters evolving in complexity.
I've seen today the 19th episode of Kamen Rider Decade and instantly became a fan ! The SFX are sometimes a little bit cheap/kitsh but the atmosphere is here, especially when, missing the Japanese TV series you've nevertheless been raised with Japanese videogames
I can't resist to spoil you a bit with the end of this episode but this scene really makes me become a fan for this TV series !!
If you have the opportunity to see it. Give it a chance ! You might be really surprised