0/6
No votes

Total votes: 3
jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Sherlock (BBC1) by Moffat

Postby jainaxf » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 19:03

Has anyone watched the first episode ?? A Study in Pink ?
It's Sherlock Holmes, but in our world ! A no-life with his website, addicted to texting ! Watson has just come back from the Afghanistan War.

The first episode is more about showing the setting and presenting the two main characters and their relationship than about the actual case. Still, I liked how Sherlock's reasoning was shown (you can feel the influence from the film here), Watson is not stupid and likes action, there is a lot of humour ...
Moreover, the episode is written by Moffat and I couldn't help but notice some similarities between this Sherlock's personalities and the Doctor's personality (his unpleasant aspects).

So the case is an homage to A Study in Red of course, with a lot of amusing references and twists ! The only thing I found not very believable is the time when
Sherlock takes ages to understand that taxi driver is an ideal cover for the serial killer ! I was there a good 5 minutes before him !
Otherwise, quite interesting and I like the twist with
the mysterious "archenemy being his brother and Sherlock not knowing Moriarty yet"

So, to conclude a really nice TV show, I'll be there tomorrow evening ! :bounce:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Sherlock (BBC1) by Moffat

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 01:17

Thanks for this little introduction jainaxf ! Now I'm rushing to catch back !! :bounce:

;)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 16:36

Oki! First episode seen and I can't wait for next one which hopefully is this evening, just after Top Gear :)

I watched it with Liewen and indeed we thought the same thing regarding your first spoiler. And what can we say about Watson and Lestrade ? :D

Nevertheless I found the show really good, once again deserved by a great cast and a really nice directing & cutting. BBC is comforting its leadership over Europe TVseries providers :uk:

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 14:04

So, 1x02 : A nice episode where we can appreciate Sherlock's social skills ! :D
Sherlock makes The eleventh Doctor appear a paragon of sensibility and tact ! :lol:
The "date" was absolutely hilarious : poor Sarah ! I wonder if she will be a lasting romantic interest of Watson !

Otherwise, a classic episode, the case was OK but
I knew it was a stupid idea to leave the Chinese girl (obvious result) and Moriarty is till very much in the shadows ! I hope he'll be more present next time !

Oh, and Lestrade wasn't here, too bad ! I would have like to see him with Anderson and the sergeant as well !

Still, a nice episode with funny moments between the 2 main characters ! And I love Watson's common sense : After something has been painting over without Sherlock's seeing it : "Do you remember everything ? Are you sure, average human memory is only 62% ..." and Watson just hands him his mobile phone with the photographed inscriptions ! 8-)

As you said Chevailier Bayard, the BBC is miles from other European providers as usual ! :yeah:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 18:04

I've not yet seen the third episode but here is a news which should be warmly welcome here :D

dailyrecord.co.uk wrote:THE BBC is to make a new series of its hit Sunday night remake of Sherlock Holmes, it has been confirmed.

[...]

And the show's producer Sue Vertrue confirmed that a second season of the modern Holmes would be made. "There will be more," she said. "We're having a meeting, just to sort of talk about how many and when really. Steven and Mark are both busy.

[...]

Even if we have to wait for at least a year before seeing this new series ... Wooooot !!! :bounce: :bounce:

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 13:52

Now that I've seen the third and last episode for season #1, a second season was obvious :D

What did you think about the new addition to the cast ?

I'm speaking about Andrew Scott as Jim Moriarty of course

Liewen didn't like him. I found it great in its mad genius role :)

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Postby jainaxf » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 16:41

I finally saw episode 3 and loved it (it was better than the second, Moffat and Gatiss are really talented scenarists) !
And the end, it is just mean to the viewers ! :eek: :bounce:
The case was gripping and Sherlock's personality was amazingly alien and well acted by Cumberbatch, I think I'll try to follow his career ! 8-)

It was obvious that it would need a second season ! I was disconcerted by this Moriarty at first, as it is quite the oppposite of what you would expect ("gentlemanly" behaviour, cool and rational ...), but once I've accepted him without my preconceptions, I found it quite enjoyable to watch ! Loved his duel with Sherlock ! :yeah:

So, to conclude, a very good introduction to a modern Sherlock, can't wait for the next season ! :bounce:

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 11:20

Saw episode 1, it s a good show and I love the idea that it s much more respectful of the original characters than most of Sherlck Holmes shows shot in 19th century costumes.

Must have been written by genuine Sherlock Holmes fans, obvious from the first minute, with Dr watson beeing a veteran of Afghanistan war, just as the original Dr Watson is (although it may not be the same Afghanistan war they ve been fighting in :D ) and the sociopath personnality of Holmes is just great :gj:

The plot in episode 1 is somehow weak - but most of the Conan Doyle original plots are somehow weak as well, aren't they ? - :absinthe: what counts is the rythm and atmosphere, and they ve achieved something really good here.

A lot of fun to watch :bounce:

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:04

saw episodes 2 & 3, still the same feeling of great characters with a genuine Sherlock and an interresting Watson, but the plots are a bit weak.

Return to “Serial Addicts”