Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Maison Close [Canal+]

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 01:05

Maison Close is the new series from French TV channel Canal+ which offered us already some great shows like Reporters or Braquo, and publicly shares its intention to become a challenger for none the less than HBO. Taking place in the 19th century, Maison Close is also Canal+'s first costume drama.

In French a "maison close", literally "closed house", is a brothel. These houses disappeared from France on April 13th 1946 with the Loi Marthe Richard, from the name of its most controversial initiator. Though in 1871 when Maison Close takes place, they were part of the urban folklore in all big cities. The bourgeoisie used to get there and it was seen as normal for a man to navigate between the mother at home and the whores of the maison close. Today still, you hear regularly men complaining about this this loss of "our traditions", easily forgetting that few women became prostitute by choice, if any does. Following the steps of three women from a brothel named "Le Paradis" ("The Paradise"), Maison Close takes you beyond the fantasies to watch the difficult and hopless fight of these women against a destiny of true slavery.

These women are Vera, Rose and Hortense. Vera (Anne Charrier) is the treasure of Le Paradis, the most desired prostitute of the house. Being 35 years old, she knows though that this won't last. She puts all her hopes in seducing a rich baron, his most regular costumer, also the only one able to pay Vera's debt toward Le Paradis and free her from this place.

Rose (Jemina West) is a virgin and the last "acquisition" of Le Paradis. She is sold by a beater client while she is trying to inform her mother, prostitute at Le Paradis, about her near wedding. Between rebellion and desperation, Rose tries all she can to escape from the infernal trap she finds herself in.

Finally Hortense (Valérie Karsenti) is none other than the owner of Le Paradis. Anyway, Le Paradis is her prison as well. Harassed by a goon, she has no choice than to pressure her girls in order to be able to pay him and protect everything she has got (including the girls). Her strong love for Vera does not help her to be as cold and pragmatic as she needs to be.

The first two episodes, broadcast 10 days ago on October 4th have brought Canal+ its audience record for a TV series with 24% of the viewers that night. Till then the record was owned by Braquo with 20,9%; not a very surprising score then as French TV always had a taste for cops TV series. With Olivier Marchal directing and Jean-Hugues Anglade acting, the expectations behind Braquo was obviously strong and the audience finally not surprising, especially when the series happened to be so awesome.

With Maison Close Canal+ does take a more serious risk. If our Britannic friends are very found of costume dramas and produce regularly some amazing series, on the other side of the Channel French are cautious and the fans have few choice than to wait for BBC series to finally cross the sea. Now the success encountered by Maison Close shows that there is an audience for costume dramas in France as well and this let us hope some other great series with at last real confident budgets to support them.

The French dvd will be released on October 28th. Sadly no English subtitles for now as far as I know but Maison Close will most surely be broadcast outside France, Canal+ being quite represented in Europe. This series clearly deserves it. After having seen the two first ones, I can't wait to see the next episodes of the eight ones for this first (and only?) season.

jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Re: Maison Close [Canal+]

Postby jainaxf » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 17:26

I watched the pilote, but I could not go further.
I don't like my series to be too dark, I need a little hope, some sympathetic characters ...It reminded me of Zola/Maupassant novels (I was traumatised by those in high school !).
It IS a good series (set, actors ...), but it is not for me !

Return to “Serial Addicts”