Which book are your reading now ? (2)

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:18

I recently finished There and Back Again by Sean Astin (with Joe Layden)

and am currently reading Tsotsi by Athol Fugard

elric
rider
rider

Postby elric » Wed 10 Jan, 2007 22:42

working on the wheels of time series by robert jordan, up to book 10 now :D

Firess
marquess
marquess

Postby Firess » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 13:01

Currently hooked on Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Half way through book 5 of 7.  :)

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 20:16

Likewise, I'm reading Stephen King:  Lisey's Story
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Lu_Xun
baronet
baronet

Postby Lu_Xun » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 23:01

Just finished reading Moving Pictures, onto Reaper man now.

Just reading through my Discworld novels again, nice easy reading during my lunchtime at work.

I can't handle all the serious books, I just like light easy comedy.

Anyone recommend any light reading thats easily available, meaning I don't have to scower small books shops? :)

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Tue 03 Apr, 2007 08:26

Read the Little House of the Prairie series. I've read the whole series 4 times.

If you want something a little more modern, check out Robert Lynn Asprin. I've read both his Myth series (Hit or Myth, Myth-ing Link, Little Myth Marker, etc.) and his Phule series (Phule's Paradise, Phule's Company, etc.). I haven't read his Thieves World series, but I hear it's really good too.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

glizzery
wannabe
wannabe

Postby glizzery » Mon 16 Apr, 2007 15:53

Just finished the Belgariad series by David Eddings. 5 books, not too long (about 400 pages each) and I enjoyed each book a lot.

I am now going to finish the Tales of the Otori circle (currently on book 4) written by Lian Hearn .. very good books if you like Japan, a little bit of love-story, some small fantasy elements and also some action :)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 17:28

Too long time I haven't posted here.

Currently I'm reading: La Part De L'Autre from Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt

This book works on the "what if" concept asking the simple question: "What if on October 8th 1908, Adolf Hitler had been accepted to the Beaux-Arts School of Vienna ?"

From the book follows two different paths.

Each two chapters we get to know a bit better the life of Adolf Hitler who, full of angers, frustration and egocentric phantasms, slightly evolves from a mediocre art student  to the dictator we all know.

The other chapters we follow Adolf H., a student of the Vienna Beaux-Arts School which learn to know himself and thanks to Dr Sigmund Freud manages to deal with himself and become another man.

Both Adolf Hitler and Adolf H. go through World War I which constitutes for both an as traumatic as revealing experience.

To Adolf Hitler it brings the fanatic revelation that HE and no one else is chosen to save Germany.

To Adolf H. it brings the emotion which was lacking to his work till that time, making him a true artist and not only a very skilled "technician".

This book is very good. Currently I've read the 2/3 of it and really enjoy it A LOT.

Actually the Adolf H. part is interesting mostly because Adolf H. gets to cross many historical figures like Sigmund Freud just mentioned or André Breton. Through Adolf H. till now I've been in the 20's and 30's with much interest.

But the most interesting part is the ascension of Adolf Hitler which little by little enters both deeper in madness and higher in his political career.

As I've said I still have one third of the book to read but I already recommend it warmly !!

zarghatt
roaming
roaming

Postby zarghatt » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 13:12

At the moment, I'm reading Sygdommen til Døden (The Sickness Unto Death) written by Søren Kierkegaard, following my exploration of the existentialistic, pessimistic, and nihilistic litterature (after De l'inconvénient d'être né and Sur les cimes du désespoir by Emil Cioran and Bréviaire du Chaos by Albert Caraco).
These books can have some depressive effect on your mind but lead to some interesting personal questions about your life or even about the whole human society.

Extremely disturbing and interesting.
Let off some steam, Bennett !

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:53

Dang I've read quite some book till last time...

Currently I'm reading All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson but, amazingly, I find it quite difficult to read it in English while I just read two Paul Auster's without problems. The vocabulary used by Gibson makes me realize I still have to improve my English a lot :(

Because of that I've already read two books in between but as the two of them weren't much interresting I won't speak about them :D

Before I had read the 6th volume of Boro's saga Cher Boro. I don't know if this saga from Frank & Vautrin is translated in other languages. If it is, or if you read French and yet don't know about it, I invite you to discover it as  the more it gets and the better and stories are.

Boro is a reporter/photographer who meets success in the first volume after having shot Hitler and Eva Braun unintentionally in 1942 while trying his brand new Leica.

After many stories across Germany, France, Britain, Italy, Spain but also more "exotic" countries like India in which Boro does his best to fight spreading fascism and nazism, we find in  Cher Boro the character evolving from reporter adventurer to a real resistant and spy.

The atmosphere, linked to the historical time line, is indeed much darker as for now nazis win with not many signs that this tendency can be reversed... In this volume Boro will meet German resistance but also French collaborationists lead by evil Barbie...

A must read if you like both historical books and, let's say, Indiana Jones :)

Return to “The Lost Library”