Which book are your reading now ? (2)

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: Which book are your reading now ? (2)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:07

What is the title of your book about Australia collfrog ?

Cause long time ago I read a book I liked a lot about a British (I think) who discovered Australia after an heritage or something like that. He then traveled in Australia and if I remember correctly, each chapter corresponds to a town ...

The fact is I'm looking forward to find that book again so ... It might be the one you're talking about :)

I'm currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire the second book of the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, a Swedish writer which is becoming a post-mortem star in Europe.

For now I find this "star status" is a bit too much. Ok it is a long way better than a Da Vinci Code but I'm disappointed for example by the fact the story is not really linked to the country where it takes place. I would have loved some "Swedish exoticism" and that got me frustrated :P

Otherwise the book is interesting, not a great one but worth reading if you like investigation books :)

Haven't posted in here as I'm reading its French translation (I'm not able to read the original Swedish one) which goes under the title: La fille qui rêvait d'un bidon d'essence et d'une allumette

But I'm interested about discussing the books if other here read it as well :)

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:31

oh its a dutch book claled "australia: Reisverhalen" So i think it is somewhere ine nglish but i really expect it not to be caled the same, but the author is "Pandora Atlas"

Oh i got a great book called Huiver from Bari Wood, its in dutch but i beleive there is a english version of it to maybe its called shiver?

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:35

If you bring some more Dutch around I can open a Dutch Library as sub forum ;)

+ you're not the only Dutch around but none really participate in the Library yet...

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:44

lol dont make to much efforts on the dutch library i dotn read enough books for that..i want to but i kjsut dont take the time for it. and msot books i read are from stephen king or known in english too

Ithil
duke
duke

Postby Ithil » Thu 28 May, 2009 21:23

I'm currently reading a great book: Traveller: Observations from an American in Exile.

It is a collection a letters and journal entries of Michael Katakis, an American who has been travelling all around the world for many years. His insight on various cultures and people is a true happiness to experience.

Please read it if you have the time !
I would rather be ashes than dust! (...)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
   of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
Jack London

coolfrog
elite
elite

Postby coolfrog » Thu 28 May, 2009 21:28

because you liek it so much ill serach for it and look what i think abotu it:)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 20:49

Back here after several books read in French :)

I've just finished Fulgrim, fifth book of The Horus Heresy saga which gives keys about the world of Warhammer 40,000 as we known it in the game and RPG.

I think I've already spoken about that saga which has been a very good surprise regarding its quality.I didn't expected much of it but I've already read the five first book and think I'll continue till the end (I already own the next two books in my "to read pile" (TRP)). In this book Chaos makes its entrance for real, showing itself to its new "allies" now that it is too late for them to stand back from it.

I had stopped my reading of that book some months ago but think it was more due to an Warhammer overdose than to the book itself despite what I've said then cause really this time I did find the reading enjoyable and I'm pleased to see how things evolve in the saga...

Anyway I'm making a new break in the saga to start a really BIG book which Blunt was ending some weeks ago and about which he made a really good promotion: Homicide by David Simon, the creator of the eponym TV series and of The Wire.

I'll tell you more about it later as I'm just starting it :)

Ithil
duke
duke

Postby Ithil » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 21:16

is it good then ?

right i'm reading poetry from Mary-Cicely Barker about fairies living in flowers:

I would rather be ashes than dust! (...)

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom

of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time.

Jack London

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 22:40

Ithil wrote:is it good then ?

Actually my reading rythm has fallen very seriously after I got myself this for my birthday :blush:

Since then I've watched Doctor Who's seasons #2, #3 and #4 and Torchwood season #1 in the subway; finally managing to catch on some series Liewen is not interrested in :P

So that explains why I haven't yet finished Homicide. Because this book is indeed very good and I'm still on it !! :D

As soon as I've finished Torchwood I'll get back seriously to the reading as I've got the two book of Drew Karpyshyn around Mass Effect awaiting for me.

Image Image

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 15:52

Delve inside the core SQL Server engine and put that knowledge to work with guidance from a team of well-known internals experts. Whether database developer, architect, or administrator, you ll gain the deep knowledge you need to exploit key architectural changes and capture the product s full potential. Discover how SQL Server works behind the scenes, including: What happens internally when SQL Server builds, expands, shrinks, and moves databases How to use event tracking from triggers to the Extended Events Engine Why the right indexes can drastically reduce your query execution time How to transcend normal row-size limits with new storage capabilities How the Query Optimizer operates Multiple techniques for troubleshooting problematic query plans When to force SQL Server to reuse a cached query plan or create a new one What SQL Server checks internally when running DBCC How to choose among five isolation levels and two concurrency models when working with multiple concurrent users
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Return to “The Lost Library”