Which book are your reading now ? (2)

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Re: Which book are your reading now ? (2)

Postby Skaila » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 22:22

I guess it's a bit cheating but I'm reading a graphic novel or comic book rather. Actually two.

I actually started with 52, but then stopped and started with Infinite Crisis, and it is supposed to be.

The plot begins when, in Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kal-L of Earth 2, the Superboy of Earth Prime, Alex Luthor, Jr. of Earth 3, and Lois Lane of Earth 2 voluntarily sequestered themselves in a "heaven".

The story of 52 begins where IF left off. Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman have retired. In the meantime, a time traveler arrived on Earth with his robot sidekick Skeets. But things are going wrong, and the timeline he knows is starting to crumble.

There are several other stories woven around, such as The Elongated Man (Ralph Dibney) 's story is told as well when his wife's grave has been vandalized. Then there is the story of Renee Montoya and the Question.
ImageImage

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 22:26

It's not cheating ! We actually even have a topic dedicated to comics and graphic novels :)

=> viewtopic.php?f=85&t=8308

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:58

... ahem oops xD Next time I will have a real book :P
ImageImage

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sat 02 Jan, 2010 02:20

I got The Dome by Stephen King for Christmas. I'm about 540 pages into it. I just passed the halfway point last night. About 465 more to go. So far, it has been much more engaging from the very beginning and throughout that his books normally are. They usually start slow and slow parts in the middle. It's been interesting every page.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 21:33

Still stuck in Mass Effect universe I'm currently reading Revelation by Drew Karpyshyn, a prequel to the videogame introducing some major characters like mostly Anderson and Saren.

I've read half the book already and it's quite enjoyable if like me you're caught by this universe ;)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 02 Mar, 2010 02:32

You know sometime you put precisely something at precise place in order to find it easily when you'll need it, and when the time comes, you just can't remember where and wonder desperately why oh why you've moved this ?!?

Exactly what happened to me and Ascension, the second book of Drew Karpyshyn in the Mass Effect universe. So in the meantime I've decided to change of genre and I'm reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright.

I'm only at the beginning for now but it is really interesting. Following a marines troop in Irak it also shows the strange link between reality and the young generation (of soldiers) fed by reality shows and video-games.

Generation Kill wrote:Trombley is besides himself. "I was just thinking one thing when we drove in that ambush", he enthuses. "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I felt like I was living it when I seen the flames coming out of windows, the blown-up car in the street, guys crawling around shooting at us. It was fucking cool."

While their fathers had hesitate to open fire on the enemy in former wars, this generation who kills so easily.

Generation Kill wrote:"When we take fire, not one of them hesitates to shoot back. In World War Two, when Marines hit the beaches, a surprisingly high percentage of them didn't fire their weapons, even when faced with direct enemy contact. They hesitated. Not these guys. Did you see what they did to that town? They fucking destroyed it. These guys have no problem with killing."

Now I suppose things are going to get darker for them in the following of the book ...

Once the book read I look forward to watch HBO TV series adapted from it.

Kowandz
local
local
Xbox Live ID: kowandz420

Postby Kowandz » Sun 16 May, 2010 19:19

WOW!!! You read more then I do Chevalier, and that is quite impressive. Momentarily I am at the mercy of fundage as far as reading goes, (I know, libraries exist, I just like to own books that I have read) but so far this year I have read Changes by Jim Butcher, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, Spear-wielder's Tale Trilogy by R.A.
Salvatore and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Probably going to read Trial by James Patterson, Alex Cross was one of my early favorites as far a book series. Curious if you have read any of the Pratchett novels in both english and french Chevalier, the jokes are often idiomatic, and Pratchett tends to describe things more emotionally then physically, I'm curious how well they translate. My french is fairly non-existant, so I can't exactly read one for myself.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 16 May, 2010 19:50

I only read Pratchett's translation in French made by Patrick Couton who had already done some translation for the editor L'Atalante with authors like Moorcock or Orson Scott Card. I have in my "Pratchett shelf" an interview of Couton in which he explains the complexity of translating an author like Terry Pratchett. Translating the translator, I quote him: "For Card I don't look for references and I don't have to watch hundreds of movies from Laurel & Hardy to Robocop, going through Lethal Weapon or Casablanca" :D

Usually I prefer to read authors in their original language when I can but Patrick Couton not translate Discworld saga word by word. He really add his own touch to it. The French Discworld books in L'Atalante edition are 2 hands written book, even if Pratchett did 99% of the work, this little percent is a little bonus. I've heard some friends, as fan as me of the chronicles, that other translations were really terrible and I avoid them. But clearly in that case, reading the original book frustrates me as I know I'm missing a lot of things !! :terrorite:

As for the current readings, actually I don't read much these days. I've recently read two books from Doctor's Who adventures but I don't want to tell much about them as one inspired me a lot for our current RPG campaign :D

Right now I'm reading No Orchid for Miss Blandish by James Hadley Chase, an author absinthe incited me to read posting some of his book covers in La Librairire in a topic where we were discussing about "train stations book" (literal translation of French "Romans de Gare" for books you read during travels and which don't ask much of your brains :D).

This book quickly puts you back in the atmosphere of the "films noirs", good'ol cops/baddies/bimbos books. Quite enjoyable ! :D

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 05:50

Currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Front cover / Back cover

Image Image
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Kowandz
local
local
Xbox Live ID: kowandz420

Postby Kowandz » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 06:15

Just finished Unseen Academicals, a novel of Discworld by Terry Pratchett. Amazing as always, I will truly miss Pratchett and Discworld when he is no longer able to write :bawl: Thanks to you Rawhide, the next book on my list is Abaraham Lincon: Vampire Hunter, plus I am going to read the new Pendergast novel as soon as my friend finishes her copy and lends it to me!

Return to “The Lost Library”