Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.

mark JUST A GEEK

6/6
No votes
5/6
No votes
4/6
100%
3/6
No votes
2/6
No votes
1/6
No votes
0/6
No votes

Total votes: 1
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 03 Apr, 2006 14:33

Actually, even if I've finally finished Emperor God Of Dune a long time ago, the end of the Dune saga really makes my reading rythm decline seriously as I really have difficulties to stay interrested to this World. Sad as I love so much the first volumes ...  :?

I've then decided to make a break and I'm currently reading Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton aka Wesley Crusher in Star Trek TNG.

The book is built around wilwheaton.net, Wil Wheaton's blog.

There, Wil Wheaton often goes back to his career as a teenager "know it all" actor with the critical look of the 30 years old man he is now. A man whose existence has been poisoned during years by a dirty "Prove To Eveyone That Quitting Star Trek Wasn't A Mistake" voice while he was trying to proove he was a real actor, not only the 12 years old teen from Stand By Me nor Wesley Crusher.

If we learn many "insider" and funny informations around the Trekkies world with conventions and so on, the book goes clearly far away from that and the book is very personnal. Wil Wheaton takes old texts from his blog and really manages to share his state of mind at the time he wrote them and how he feels about them today, now that he has time to digest the events ...

From an actor who though he knew all the book shows us an actor who he's always "the best" at the casting according to the casting directors but who happen too often to be the second choice and finally comes to worry about how to pay the bills for the familly and all other stuff I think we all here know about: real life.

And if the book speaks well to us, at least to me, it's also that Wil Wheaton shows himself as "just a geek" like most of us around are too ;)

I've only read the first third yet but I really enjoy this book. He might not be the actor he thought he was in his youg years but he is a real writer, no doubt about that. :)

I'll give it a mark when I'll have finished it but I think it will be a good one ;)

Mindtrust
elite
elite

Postby Mindtrust » Tue 04 Apr, 2006 08:33

I'm really bad with books, but i guess it could be worth a try for me also  8-)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 09 Jun, 2006 00:23

I just realize I had actually never finished this topic :blush:

Now that's more than about 2 monthes I've finished the book and I still have a very pleasant memory of it.

Very nicely written the book is enjoyable and Will Wheaton manages to appear very sincere and to keep us interrested all along his thinkings and anecdotes.

Also this book is clearly not for trekkies only, very far from that ! Even if indeed trekkies will read their many inside news they like so much ... cause trekkies are geeks too after all :D

I give it a very well deserve 4/6 and invite you to read it ;)

Return to “The Lost Library”