Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Magical bum
hero
hero

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

Postby Magical bum » Mon 02 Mar, 2009 01:44

As you may be able to guess from the authors name it's a translated text from Japan. The author has an elegant way of describing common life problems and anxieties and placing them into exciting and intellectually challenging situations which are at most points wholly believable.

Deeply influenced by rock music the authors characters seem to all share a bond of the more classic and influential musical artists from a wide range of genres. This leads to a lot of name dropping to songs and linking to songs of a similar nature making the book very educational for both your vocabulary of musical terms and your knowledge of bands.

The plot follows a narrators life (his name slips my memory as it is very asian) and how his friendships with a classmate turn national actor Gotanda, a receptionist he spends half the book not knowing the name of, a prostitute called Kiki and a 13 year old girl all seem to be linked by both his hard past and seemingly fate.

I've not reached the end of the book but I already plan to buy all his other works simply because the way he rights with such imagery and metaphor provide an excellent literary delight.

Well worth a read.
No sig for the moment

Return to “The Lost Library”