The Harry Dresden Files - by Jim Butcher

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

The Harry Dresden Files - by Jim Butcher

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:02

From the moment I've started the reading of the first book, I've moved on The Harry Dresden Files series from Jim Butcher and just finished the fifth book: Death Masks.

ImageImageImageImageImage

For now the more I discover the universe created by Jim Butcher and the more I am fascinated by it. Like the other well known Harry, the univers of Harry Dresden offers a melting pot of many influences but they are far less childish: a kind of mix between the imaginary of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and the worlds of RPG (Harry Dresden like Jim Butcher, is a RPG player :D) seen in the White Wolf games (Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse,..., of course not forgetting Mage: The Ascension).

For now on each book we are getting a step beyond and I really like that. I'm making a little pause in my reading for tactical reasons (I want to read Stieg Larsson's Millenium books before the movie is released) but I can't wait to read the next books !!

The existing books for the moment are the following ones:
  • 1. Storm Front (2000)
  • 2. Fool Moon (2000)
  • 3. Grave Peril (2001)
  • 4. Summer Knight (2002)
  • 5. Death Masks (2003)
  • 6. Blood Rites (2004)
  • 7. Dead Beat (2005)
  • 8. Proven Guilty (2006)
  • 9. White Night (2007)
  • 10. Small Favor (2008)
  • 11. Turn Coat (2009)

The hero and narrator of these novels is Harry Dresden, the one and only figuring on the yellow pages of Chicago as "wizard" with the following ad:
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

For Harry is a real wizard, not a prestidigitator like his father or a crook like most of people think he is. No, Harry is the real stuff and he tries to live from it honestly working as a private investigator or a special consultant for the Police on some "unusual" cases. Following Harry in these inquiries leads us to an fabulous World where epic conflicts and battles between good and evil take place through a very rich bestiary including wizards of courses but also demons, werewolves (and hexen-wolves and loup-garous), vampires (from different courts/species), angels, knights, faeries, dragons, immortals, ... and so on ... You'll discover also many different places from the Nevernever of the magic creatures to the Undertown laying under Chicago. A world gaining more substance with each book ! :)

For those like me who have discovered Harry Dresden through the TV serie and who have not yet read the book, expect something far richer and more complex.

The TV serie is only "inspired by" the book and I've not yet read half the books but some characters like Morgan, Susan and Bianca are VERY different in the series than their original characters in the books. First difference being for example that Morgan and Bianca are clearly not at all friendly with Dresden, especially for Bianca who has never been even close to be friend with him. Susan is only making an appearance while it is a quite important character in the books. On the other hand Bob is more developed in the series, at least from what I've read now...

You also found in the books secondary characters of first importance like Billy the werewolf, close friend of Harry and the knights of the Cross who aren't at all yet exploited by the series.

Taking about the series ... I invite you to sign the current petition from dresdencity.org website to make it continue as, nevertheless, it is a very good series.

Still outside the novels, a new comics series has just started which I've not yet read but will surely will.
Image Image

Finally, I have a very very close look on The Dresden Files RPG which you can follow on the website dresdenfilesrpg.com and also support through its page on Facebook ;)

If any are interested I'll come back to this topic and try to introduce each books I've read till now. The first goal here being to introduce you to the Universe and urge you to read the books quick quick quick !! ;)

CrazyPsycho
tower guard
tower guard

Re: The Harry Dresden Files - by Jim Butcher

Postby CrazyPsycho » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 20:37

ok, buy me a book and I'll +1 him ;)

Hayama
elite
elite
Xbox Live ID: HayamaSB

Postby Hayama » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 20:49

Book 12 is coming out in April 2010.

On the offical page for the book, they are previewing chapters from the book (only 1 so far)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 20:52

Great ! Thanks for the news Hayama ! :bounce:

I'm not up to date already but that motivates me ;)

I guess then you're following the series as well Hayama ?

Hayama
elite
elite

Postby Hayama » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 21:03

I've got & read all the books. I got hooked on them thanks to the TV series (which I've got on DVD). I also got the "Welcome to the Jungle" graphic novel. So yes, you could say I'm following the series. :wink:

I haven't got any of the books that contain a Dresden Files short story. I also don't have any of the Storm Front comic books/graphic novels. I'm not sure that I'm going to get any of those, either.

[edit] I just noticed from the bottom of the page I linked to:
Anthology:

Jim plans to release all his Dresden Files short stories in a single anthology, due out in late 2010. It will also include exclusive new material--either three short stories or one novelette.

So I might just wait & get that, then. :D

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 21:10

Forgot to mention the RPG had been released last January.

Image Image

I don't have it yet but I will for sure. Are you a role-player Hayama ? Others around interested now that we have dices ? :D
[dice]0[/dice]

Btw, on a totally different subject, I've sent you a PM sometime ago Hayama. A PM which you haven't read yet ;)

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 21:18

I was afraid I had missed the release but no, erratum following:
www.dresdenfilesrpg.com wrote:Silver Spring, Maryland (January 26, 2010) - After 4 years in the making, Evil Hat Productions is not only pleased but proud to officially announce The Dresden Files Role Playing Game (RPG) will release at the Origins Game Fair, June 23, 2010. ..

Hayama
elite
elite

Postby Hayama » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 15:29

Not really into role playing. I seem to be a little too grounded in reality to do it. :p

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 22:32

It had taken some times before I get addicted to RPG. First experiences were quite nightmarish with Game Masters not really in the game and always in the nose in their books while some players were invested by their character to a quite scary point : :eek: :lol:

But I insisted, mainly thanks to Tekila and met some other people who showed me how great experiences RPG could be. I had to meet those people to also learn how to deal with RPG too and get the best also of games with the former examples given. I won't advise to try RPG with an online experience for these reasons but really, if you get a chance to play with a trained GM you should try. You might bore yourself to death or ... you might live a very surprising experience ;)

To get back to Dresden, a preview of the RPG can be downloaded on the official webpage, HERE :)

Hayama
elite
elite

Postby Hayama » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 15:29

I read the latest book & the cliffhanger he leaves us on sucks rocks. When does the next book come out again?

After checking Wikipedia, Book 13 (Side Jobs) is an anthology book that collects all of the Dresden short stories & also has "and a new novelette exclusive to the anthology: Aftermath - which takes place 45 minutes after Changes and is told from Karrin Murphy's point of view." so maybe I only have to wait until November to deal with the cliffhanger.

Return to “The Lost Library”