Comics and graphic novels

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Comics and graphic novels

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 20:40

In the French part we have a topic dedicated to comics and "bandes dessinées" and I thought it would be nice to have one here as RawHide made me learn about Ectokid this morning and I've just finished to read the Y: The Last Man, a great 60 issues saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra.

Image Image

That's a long time now I had read the first comics so I'm not anymore much confident in telling you about how the series starts but the story is around the character of Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, who happens to be the last man on Earth after a strange plague suddenly killed every men on the surface of the globe.

When the disaster happens, Yorick is on the phone with Beth Deville, is girlfriend currenlty working as an anthropologist in Australia. He won't have time to propose her and from now on will try to reach her at the other side of Earth.

ImageImage

He is soon joined by Agent 355 who works for a mysterious US government agency and becomes Yorick's bodyguard; and by the Doctor Allison Mann, an expert geneticist, seeking to discover the cause of the plague and why Yorick survived. Not forgetting Ampersand, Yorick's Capuchin monkey and the only other male mammal who survived the plague. :)

60 issues is a long run for a graphic novel but it is cut in several 2 or 3 short issues during which the general story evolves as well without ever giving you the feeling it is never going to end :)

I really liked that series a lot and warmly recommend it ! :gj:

You can download the first issue from the Vertigo website by clicking HERE.

Camusy
roaming
roaming

Re: Comics and graphic novels

Postby Camusy » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 17:20

why i cannot see the pics
Please no more adds in the signature for any converter !! (chev')

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:37

Are your eyes closed? :coffee: :terrorite: :rawhide:
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 20:11

I'm currently in the middle of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comics. There are several issues but so far I've got 6 issues but there are at least 2-3 more (and counting).

The story starts with Zyna Carrick who is a Jedi Padawan. He is Force sensitive, but only marginally so, or at least that's what his masters tell him. He is worried he'll never make it to Jedi Knight at all. As he is heading to his knighting ceremony (where he'll know once and for all if he'll become a Knight), he catches the crook Marn Hierogryph.
This being his 9th attempt, and being late, he arrives to see his fellow Padawans murdered by their masters. He gets framed for the murders and is now on the run.

Setting of the comic: beginning of the Mandalorian War. Revan and Malak are trying to recruit people to fight against the Mandalorians, because the Jedi council refuses to go to war.

The reason I started reading this series is because it is Knights of the Old Republic. I played the game and several characters are present in the comics. Especially the backstory with the War is interesting to me. You'll see Alec/Squint who is very nice and charismatic, only to know he'll become Darth Malak (the antagonist in the game).

Also with the new game coming along (The Old Republic), a webcomic has been set up: The Threat of Peace
ImageImage

Return to “The Lost Library”