GRR Martin : A Song of Ice and Fire

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
jainaxf
high guard
high guard

GRR Martin : A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby jainaxf » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 21:36

GRR Martin is another very famous fantasy author.

As usual, here is a short biography and bibliography from Wikipedia

George Raymond Richard Martin (born September 20, 1948), sometimes referred to as GRRM, is an American author and screenwriter of fantasy, horror, and science fiction. He is best known for his ongoing A Song of Ice and Fire series of epic fantasy novels.

Biography

George R. R. Martin was born on September 20, 1948 in Bayonne, New Jersey.[1] As a youth, Martin became an avid reader and collector of comic books. Fantastic Four #20 (Nov 1963) features a letter to the editor he wrote while in high school. He credits the attention he received from this letter, as well as his following interest in comics fanzines, with his interest in becoming a writer.[2]

Martin wrote short fiction in the early 1970s and while his start into the professional writer career was not easy (one of his stories was rejected by different magazines forty-two times) he was not discouraged and later won several Hugo Awards and Nebula Awards. His first story to be nominated for Hugo and Nebula Award was With Morning Comes Mistfall published by the Analog magazine in 1973. The story lost both Awards, but Martin didn't mind too much, noting that joining "Hugo-and-Nebula Losers" Club was a big enough accomplishment for him[3].

In 1976 at Kansas City's MidAmeriCon, the 34th World Science Fiction Convention, Martin conceived of and organized the first ever Hugo Losers Party, a gathering spot for the losers (and their friends and family), immediately following KC's Hugo Awards ceremony. The party had been planned well in advance, and in a strong note of irony, Martin lost two Hugo Awards that same year: for the Novelette "...and Seven Times Never Kill Man" and for the Novella "The Storms of Windhaven," co-written with Lisa Tuttle. In the years and decades that followed, the Hugo Losers Party has became an annual event, evolving into one of the largest social gatherings held at the Worldcon.

Although much of his work is fantasy or horror, a number of his earlier works are science fiction occurring in a loosely-defined future history, known informally as 'The Thousand Worlds' or 'The manrealm'. He has also written at least one piece of political-military fiction, "Night of the Vampyres", collected in Harry Turtledove's anthology The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century.[4]

In the 1980s he turned to work in television and as a book editor. On television, he worked on the new Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast series. As an editor, he oversaw the lengthy Wild Cards cycle, which took place in a shared universe in which an alien virus bestowed strange powers or disfigurements on a slice of humanity during World War II, affecting the history of the world thereafter (the premise was inspired by comic book superheroes and a Superworld superhero role-playing game of which Martin was gamemaster). Contributors to the Wild Cards series included Stephen Leigh, Lewis Shiner, Howard Waldrop, Walter Jon Williams and Roger Zelazny. His own contributions to the series often featured Thomas Tudbury, "The Great and Powerful Turtle", a powerful psychokinetic whose flying "shell" consisted of an armored VW Beetle.

Martin's novella, Nightflyers, was adapted into a 1987 feature film.

In 1991 Martin briefly returned to writing novel-length stories, and began what would eventually turn into his epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire (ostensibly inspired by the Wars of the Roses and Ivanhoe), which is projected to run to seven volumes. The first volume A Game of Thrones was published in 1996. In November 2005, A Feast for Crows, the fourth book in this series, became The New York Times #1 Bestseller and also achieved #1 ranking on The Wall Street Journal bestseller list. In addition, in September 2006 A Feast for Crows was nominated for both a Quill award, and the British Fantasy Award.[5] The series has received praise from authors[6], readers[7] and critics[6] alike.

HBO Productions purchased the television rights for the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series in 2007, and greenlit the first season in March 2010, for a predicted 2011 premiere. The first season will be based on the first novel in the series. [8]

Martin has also been an instructor in journalism (in which he holds a master's degree) and a chess tournament director. In his spare time he collects medieval-themed miniatures[9] and continues to treasure his comic collection, which includes the first issues of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. Although he is fairly active on the internet, he notes: "I do my writing on a completely different computer than the one I use for email and the internet, in part to guard against viruses, worms, and nightmares like this. (...) I write with WordStar 4.0 on a pure DOS-based machine."[10]

Bibliography
Author
[edit] Novels

* Dying of the Light (1977) -- Hugo Award nominee, 1978 [22]; British Fantasy Award nominee, 1979 [23]
* Windhaven (1981, with Lisa Tuttle) -- Locus SF Award nominee, 1982 [24]
* Fevre Dream (1982) -- Locus SF and World Fantasy Award nominee, 1983 [25]
* The Armageddon Rag (1983) -- Locus SF and World Fantasy Award nominee, 1984 [26]

* A Song of Ice and Fire series:
o A Game of Thrones (1996) -- Locus Fantasy Award Winner, Nebula and World Fantasy Award nominee, 1997 [27]
o A Clash of Kings (1998) -- Nebula Award nominee, 1999; Locus Fantasy Award winner, 1999 [28]
o A Storm of Swords (2000) -- Locus Fantasy Award winner, Hugo and Nebula Awards nominee, 2001 [29]
o A Feast for Crows (2005) -- Hugo, Locus Fantasy, and British Fantasy Awards nominee, 2006 [30]
o A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming)
o The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
o A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

* Hunter's Run (2007, expanded version of the novella "Shadow Twin", with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham)

Martin announced on the 15th of February 2010 that he was '1,200' pages into finishing A Dance with Dragons.[31]
[edit] Selected novellas

* A Song for Lya
* Night of the Vampyres, originally in Amazing, 1975, re-published in The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
* "The Skin Trade" (1989) from the three-author collection Dark Visions.

The werewolf novella "The Skin Trade," has been optioned for film by Mike the Pike Productions. [32]

* "Tales of Dunk and Egg" series - set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire
o "The Hedge Knight" (1998)
o "The Sworn Sword" (2003)
o "The Mystery Knight" (forthcoming in 2010, also the longest one in the series yet[33])

* "Shadow Twin" (2004, with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham)

[edit] Selected novelettes

* Sandkings, Martins most anthologized story to date and the only one of his to win both the Hugo and the Nebula awards.
* Meathouse Man, first published in 1976, in Orbit 18. (Originally intended for Harlan Ellison's notorious "The Last Dangerous Visions" anthology, GRRM has admitted that this is probably the darkest, most depressing story he has ever done[34] and that he still finds it painful to re-read nearly thirty years after its publication.)

[edit] Children's books

* The Ice Dragon (Originally printed in 1980 as a short story[35], illustrated and re-printed as a children's book in October, 2006)

[edit] Collections

* A Song for Lya (1976)
* Songs of Stars and Shadows (1977)
* Sandkings (1981)
* Songs the Dead Men Sing (1983)
* Nightflyers (1985)
* Tuf Voyaging (1987, collection of linked stories)
* Portraits of His Children (1987)
* Quartet (2001)
* GRRM: A RRetrospective (2003; reissued 2006 and 2007 as Dreamsongs)

[edit] Television

* The New Twilight Zone
o The Last Defender of Camelot (1986) - writer (teleplay)
o The Once and Future King (1986) - writer (teleplay), story editor
o A Saucer of Loneliness (1986) - story editor
o Lost and Found (1986) - writer (teleplay), from a printed short story by Phyllis Eisenstein
o The World Next Door (1986) - story editor
o The Toys of Caliban (1986) - writer (teleplay), from an unpublshed short story by Terry Matz
o The Road Less Travelled (1986) - writer (story and teleplay), story editor

* Beauty and the Beast
o Terrible Saviour (1987) - writer
o Masques (1987) - writer
o Shades of Grey (1988) - writer
o Promises of Someday (1988) - writer
o Fever (1988) - writer
o Ozymandias (1988) - writer
o Dead of Winter (1988) - writer
o Brothers (1989) - writer
o When the Blue Bird Sings' (1989) - writer (teleplay)
o A Kingdom by the Sea (1989) - writer
o What Rough Beast (1989) - writer (story)
o Ceremony of Innocence (1989) - writer
o Snow (1989) - writer
o Beggar's Comet (1990) - writer
o Invictus (1990) - writer

* Doorways (1993, unreleased pilot) - writer, producer, creator

* A Game of Thrones
o Pilot (in pre-production) - writer (story, teleplay), producer, creator [36]

[edit] Editor
[edit] Wild Cards (also contributor to many volumes)

* Wild Cards I (1987)
* Wild Cards II: Aces High (1987)
* Wild Cards III: Jokers Wild (1987)
* Wild Cards IV: Aces Abroad (1988)
* Wild Cards V: Down & Dirty (1988)
* Wild Cards VI: Ace in the Hole (1990)
* Wild Cards VII: Dead Man's Hand (1990)
* Wild Cards VIII: One-Eyed Jacks (1991)
* Wild Cards IX: Jokertown Shuffle (1991)
* Wild Cards X: Double Solitaire (1992)
* Wild Cards XI: Dealer's Choice (1992)
* Wild Cards XII: Turn of the Cards (1993)

* Wild Cards: Card Sharks (1993) (Book I of a New Cycle trilogy)
* Wild Cards: Marked Cards (1994) (Book II of a New Cycle trilogy)
* Wild Cards: Black Trump (1995) (Book III of a New Cycle trilogy)

* Wild Cards: Deuces Down (2002)
* Wild Cards: Death Draws Five (2006)
* Wild Cards: Inside Straight (2008) (Book I of the Committee triad)
* Wild Cards: Busted Flush (2008) (Book II of the Committee triad)
* Wild Cards: Suicide Kings (2009)[37] (Book III of the Committee triad)
* Wild Cards: Fort Freak[38] (announced) (A stand-alone novel)

[edit] Others (with Gardner Dozois)

* Warriors a massive, cross-genre anthology featuring stories about war and warriors (published on March 16, 2010)[39]
* Songs of the Dying Earth a tribute anthology to Jack Vance´s seminal Dying Earth series, initially published by Subterranean Press (2009)
* Songs of Love and Death a cross-genre anthology featuring stories of romance in fantasy and science-fiction settings (originally entitled Star Crossed Lovers[40]; November, 2010[41])
* Down These Strange Streets another cross-genre anthology, blending classic private eye detective stories with fantasy and science fiction (forthcoming)[42]

I really love this author for his saga A Song of Ice and Fire ! :yeah:
He is one of my absolute favourite fantasy author because he is so different from the usual Tolkien copycats (Eragon for example ! :roll: ) : his world is complex, his characters are almost all gray or dark (the few nice ones tend not to survive long !) and his plot is very political ! Moreover, the fantasy elements are very discreet at the beginning (and magic is not a simple Deus Ex Machina for the plot !) and this world is very realistic, cynical and violent ! The characters' evolution is also quite believable and interesting !

Moreover, it appears that everything happening in the published books have only been a hors-d'oeuvre : future events should be even more epic ! 8-)

The saga is absolutely gripping and I really look forward for the next volume (A Dance with Dragons) if it gets out : fans have been waiting for 5 years now ! :roll:

This saga will be adapted into a TV series shortly : here is everything we know :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_%28TV_series%29
It should be interesting : George Martin is following the series closely, so it should be faithful to the original novels ! :bounce:

Here are the covers of the first 4 books :

Sybil
tower guard
tower guard

Re: GRR Martin : A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Sybil » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 23:50

One of my favorite authors and one of my favorite series ! These books are completely addicitve !
I love the "serious" side of fantasy that you find there, the fact that there isn't only one hero (each reader has to choose his favorite characters) and that nice people are weak people who could die at every moment...
Personally, my heart goes to Arya, Asha, Littlefinger and all the Martell family !

And of course, I'm waiting for A dance with dragons 8-)

I've also readen "Fevre Dream", a story which takes place on a steam boat on the Mississipi in 1857, but I was a little bit disappointed
This vampire story was probably not enough original for me...

Asshai
roaming
roaming

Postby Asshai » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:41

Agree, aSoIaF is a different approach to fantasy, I was surprised how 'realistic' it can be, nothing is granted in this saga, the good-guy/bad-guy line is just not a line, dreams, plans and lives get shattered at the turn of a page.

Re favorite characters, I'll go for the Reeds (Meera and Jojen), the Greyjoys (Theon and Asha) and after A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows the Kingslayer. Hope all of them go through until the end! :p

Looking forward to A Dance with Dragons and the HBO serie, it looks quite primising.

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:54

So, I have just finished A Game of thrones and read the first pages of A clash of kings.

I am at the same time enthusiastic and a little disappointed, my feeling about it is that is is extremely good heroic fantasy, but it is nevertheless fantasy.

The universe is violent, interresting, the character development is good. But I was told I was to be surprised, and, to be honest, for the moment, I have not been that much. Many things were predictable, even the deaths of so-called "main characters". I am not going to spoil, but it is quite easy to see who GRR Martin really loves, and the charaters he mimicks to be in love with (and the ones he only pretends to hate). To be more honest, I can see who is going to be allowed a glorious moment before an ugly death, and who isn't.

About the realism of the story, I rather have the feeling it is genuine heroic fantasy, and it is not the ending of first volume that is going to contradict me. Even some places description are 100 % cheesy heroic fantasy lines, with gates designed the shape of dragon mouths, and other such world wonders. I have nothing against that, but I was expecting something more mysterious, small dungeons, places full of life, subtelty .

I lack the presence of common people. Almost everything in the first volume occurs in nobility, no place, or very few, is allowed to "common" people. Thus I am not only complaining about the social bias of the storytelling, but as well about the economic and social realism. What makes Westeros a thriving place allowing all this stuff to happen ? certainly not the stories of the company of freaks we are told about.

But, at the same time, it is really OK. This is a page turner, you get involved in the life of the characters, it is well written. Anf if it goes to its term will be the most massive fantasy saga ever written...

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:09

I m progressing, I m progressing. Just finished volume 2, a clash of kings.

Now I understand the first volume was just a prologue to the events coming next.

If you like the fantasy genre, hard not to be hooked. GRR MArtin takes his time to build up an atmosphere of epic and treason, writing a fantasy full of many influences. Some comes from previous fantasy epics, but as much comes from history book since the plot seems losely based on the England's War of the Roses (this Duke of York - Duke of Lancastre non-understandable mess), Martin claiming as well a big influence from the Maurice Druon series " The accursed kings - "les rois maudits" set in 14 th century France.

The big strength of Martin is his hability to write a raw story, less simplistic than classic fantasy. He is great at character development and really brings his world to life. We have the point of views of many characters, sometimes I d wish to have the one of the non-important ones, just to have a wider view of the universe.

I go on, just began volume 3.

A lot of fantasy art has derived, I just discovered the works by Marc Simonetti who has done the french covers. He has an internet site here, or there, really worth a look.

For A Song of Ice and Fire, I really love these 2 :

Tyrion in King's Landing :

The Wall :

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:32

Makes me realize how much art derived from this book is available on the net.

Two versions of Eddard Stark (not my favorite character btw) :

One from the Dabel Brothers Studios :

Another from the HBO series preview, Sean Bean is Eddard Starck :

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:51

Going on reading A Song of Ice and Fire, just finished volume 3 " A Storm of Swords".

This is really good fantasy, love some of the characters now, I think among my favourites are Tyrion Lannister and Sandor Clegane "The Hound". Another volume to read, " A Feast for Crows", and I expect this bloody GRR Martin will have finished his volume 5 " A Dance with Dragons", I already feel there will be at last 20 cliffhangers at the end of volume 4, not going to like that :acdc:

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 15:22

Btw, I really understand now the exitment of fans about the TV show. While on HBO website some teasing is going on, on the web, more and more news everyday, with castings announcments photoshopped. Funny to have a look.

Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage)

Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke)

Sandor Clegane - The Hound (Rory McCann)

Arya Starck (Maisie Williams)

and many many others...

(yes this is of no interest, so what :terrorite: )

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 12:35

Pfff now I m like everyone else, I finished reading this :

and I m waiting for reading that :

:angry:

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess