Suzanne Collins : Hunger Games

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
jainaxf
high guard
high guard

Suzanne Collins : Hunger Games

Postby jainaxf » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 20:01

First, a short presentation of the first volume of the trilogy :

In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives.

I really loved the first wo books and this read is amongst my favourite with Elantris this year ! Both story and style are rather straightforward but you don't have time to be bored : there is a lot of action and the rhythm is really fast-paced !
The main character is really well-written : she is not perfect, she has qualities and faults but she acts (I hate passive characters !) ! She has doubts and interrogations about her feelings, but feelings don't take the plot over, it's just the right dose for me and their evolutions are logical as are the heroin's doubts !
In the first book, the world is not described in too many details, especially as the plot takes place mainly in the arena which is cut off from outside !
Bit you'll get more details in volume 2 ! The first book does not end on a cliffhanger exactly, but there are plenty of things unresolved ...

This book obviously has some similarities with Battle Royal , but there are some original elements set up and
you can expect a rebellion in the following book !

So, it's a gripping book which put a lot of elements in place for book 2 and 3 (characters, world) and that you can read very easily ! I'm waiting the conclusion for my final opinion, but what Ive already read is really good ! :yeah:

So, more about volume 2 ! Huge spoilers for volume 1, of course !

Every year in Panem, the dystopic nation that exists where the U.S. used to be, the Capitol holds a televised tournament in which two teen "tributes" from each of the surrounding districts fight a gruesome battle to the death. In The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, the tributes from impoverished District Twelve, thwarted the Gamemakers, forcing them to let both teens survive. In this rabidly anticipated sequel, Katniss, again the narrator, returns home to find herself more the center of attention than ever. The sinister President Snow surprises her with a visit, and Katniss’s fear when Snow meets with her alone is both palpable and justified. Katniss also deepens as a character.

As we could guess, rebellion/revolution is starting ! We discover a lot about the world here and we learn more about the secondary characters. Some developments are rather surprising !
The love triangle is well done and doesn't take too much space in my opinion, and, like Katniss, I hesitated between Peeta and Gale !
There is a lot of tension in the book, as rebellion is brewing and Katniss unwillingly became its symbol !
I like the fact that she isn't a perfect character : she can be naive and tends to think to her family and friends first (she is not ready to risk a revolution right away) and she can have dangerously emotional reactions ... At the same time, her instinct often serves her very well : this was how she first rebelled against the Capitol in the last book and her instinct will still influences events ...
This book ends on a HUGE cliffhanger and I can't wait to read the next book !
Once again, I think the the ideas of tyranny (ah President Snow, a bad guy you love to hate !), how to react to it (direct fight or flight) and trust and betrayal created by such a world, the loss of innocence (Prim ... :tears: ) are all very well used !

This is why I love sci-fi : authors are often humanists and think about humanity's faults through metaphors and changes of settings ! 8-)
They are often visionary : The Truman Show or The Running Man created just before the boom of real TV, surveillance everywhere with 1984 ...

I can't wait for the next book : it will be out at the end of August ! :bounce: :bounce:

Return to “The Lost Library”