The Vorkosigan saga

Share your feedbacks regarding your last readings.
jainaxf
high guard
high guard

The Vorkosigan saga

Postby jainaxf » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 19:08

The Vorkosigan Saga is a series of science fiction novels and short stories by American author Lois McMaster Bujold. Most of them concern Miles Vorkosigan, a physically disabled aristocrat from the planet Barrayar whose life (from before birth), military career, and post-military career is a challenge to his native planet's prejudices against "mutants."

Here are the published novels :

# 2 "Dreamweaver's Dilemma" (Short story)
# 3 Falling Free
# 4 Shards of Honor
# 5 Barrayar
# 6 The Warrior's Apprentice
# 7 "Mountains of Mourning" (novella)
# 8 The Vor Game
# 9 Cetaganda
# 10 Ethan of Athos
# 11 "Labyrinth" (novella)
# 12 "Borders of Infinity" (novella)
# 13 Brothers in Arms
# 14 Borders of Infinity (book)
# 15 Mirror Dance
# 16 Memory
# 17 Komarr
# 18 A Civil Campaign
# 19 "Winterfair Gifts"
# 20 Diplomatic Immunity
# 21 CryoBurn (October 2010)

There are also 7 Omnibus volumes with 2 or 3 of the novels inside.

I have started reading this series fairly recently and I am currently reading The Vor Game. I love it ! :yeah:
Miles is close to an anti-hero with his deformities, but he has more than his share of cleverness to compensate !
The novels are full of action in a space-opera universe and a lot of strategies and tricks ! Plus his planet of origin is interesting : still very old-fashioned, it is grudgingly brought to galactic standards from volume to volume ! Miles also matures from novel to novel !
There is quite a lot of suspense, some humour as well (Miles can be a smart-ass !) and there is something very PC-like about Miles ! 8-)
There is a prequel (Shards of Honor and Barrayar) with Miles' parents who are also some kick-ass
characters !

It's not "great "literature, but it is very entertaining, with interesting characters and a lot of action and rhythm ! :yeah:

Return to “The Lost Library”